grim22

Ghostbusters: Afterlife | November 19 2021 | Sony | Delayed again

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

This just feels doomed to fail tbh. The toxic fanboy reaction to the ‘16 movie from the moment it got the green light has pretty much burned everybody on the entire enterprise. Like Terminator, just let it die already.

Sony doesn't have the same amount of IP as say Disney or Warner Bros which is why they keep trying to revive their old IP like MIB and Bad Boys. It did work with Jumanji but you can't apply that formula onto every other property you own. 

8 hours ago, gravestonedt said:

I just watched Ghostbusters 2 yesterday and WTF happened to that movie?  It felt like a very lazy film.  It took the OW record 3 weeks after INDY 3 set the new record, but Ghostbusters 2 had the quality following the hype of something like Twilight 2. 

The new Ghostbusters (2016) is like a remake of Ghostbusters 2 and it makes me wonder if the original Ghostbusters is that bad too?  

I don't think I could even find room for a (B-) w/ Ghostbusters 2.  

The original Ghostbusters is great.

GB2 is indeed a warmed over rehash with many of the same plot beats that's not a fraction as funny, a sequel with no new ideas doing the old ideas worse.

2016 was funny actors stranded in search of a script - flaccid and meandering while being intermittently funny (mostly McKinnon, Hemsworth, Jones) with nice VFX.

Edited by TalismanRing

I'm betting that Venom's unbelievable profits ultimately helped Sony to give the green light to take another shot at this...although I wish it was Spider-Verse that was making all that money...at least it's getting awards recognition. 

I fear Ghostbusters will come too little, too late... there was a particular alchemy of those original actors (and yes, I also mean Moranis, Weaver, Potts, etc.) that will never be duplicated.  Even the sequel couldn't quite recapture the fire. 

Edited by Macleod