baumer

Dragon Ball Super: Broly (2019)

Grade it  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I'm not really familiar with the newer Dragon Ball shows and films, so I'm not able to comment on the difference of the art style, though the art style was very crisp and remarkable.

What I will comment on is the story.

It's a pretty simple story, but it works for Dragon Ball. I not familiar with who Broly was in the past, but I thought that his character was extremely cool; I hope he learns how to control himself in future films/shows! Also, the dynamic between Goku, Vegeta, and Broly... that was cool to see! My favorite moment was when Goku was preparing to fight Broly, and he was jumping up and down, getting pumped up, motivating himself; that showed the disparity between Goku and Broly, and I thought that was a very meaningful detail in the film.

This is the director's highest profile project, and I hope he's able to receive more work in the future, because there were a lot of directorial flourishes in this. It was a very well composed film from beginning to end.

Now, if the climax was just one long fight scene, I probably would've given this a higher rating.

One thing of note: I don't remember Frieza sounding this... posh. When he speaks, his accent is very... devilishly elegant. I'm sure you understand if you've seen the film... But whoever voiced him really did an excellent job i  particular. I checked IMBd and he's someone that began voicing Frieza in 2009 for Dragon Ball Z Kai.

And by the way, the guy who voiced Broly was the guy that voiced Edward Elric. He did a good job, too. I mean, yeah; with all that screaming, be did a good job!

So...

Is this film worth your time?

If you're a Dragon Ball fan, it's a resounding yes.

And if you know basic information about Goku, Vegeta, Frieza, and the events of Dragon Ball Super without begin an actual fan of the series, then it's still a resounding yes.

I wouldn't want to kick off a new year of films any other way than this, personally. Solid film!

Edited by Slambros