baumer

Glass (2019)

Grade it  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I rewatched Unbreakable last night.  I really like the slow methodical build up of it but always felt the ending was rushed. 

I rewatched Split earlier today before seeing Glass. With the horror elements in Split they’re very different films. I’m not normally a big fan of the horror genre but I enjoyed Split. My issue with horror is generally the stupid things characters do in horror films. 

I quite liked Glass. There were aspects of the first half of Glass that almost took me out of the movie. Specifically the lax nature of their incarceration and the morons looking after them. Also, the relationship between Casey and “Kevin”. Clearly it’s not normal but you have to look at it in the context that Casey herself is the victim of years of abuse by her uncle. Her kidnapping and connection with “Kevin” was the catalyst for her to break that cycle and so she has a strange sympathy for him. 

McAvoy and SLJ were very good but they were given much more to do with their characters. Willis and the others were all solid. They’re fortunate Treat Clark continued to act. 

In a sense I put aside these misgivings in the hope that M. Night was back on form.  And for me personally I was rewarded. It was a good bait and switch on both the other characters in the film and the audience with the regular foreshadowing of an epic battle between good and evil at the opening of the new tower for all the world to see. But Mr. Glass had other ideas.

The reveal and ending for this was the best from him in years.  Certainly better then anything since Signs and The Sixth Sense. For me, it worked. It made sense of my earlier misgivings and was quite a neat conclusion to the trilogy. 

A-

I also like that M. Night’s cameo character had a neat arc across all three films. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I gave the film a B. I liked it. I didn't compare it to "Unbreakable" because IMO that's one of the most under-appreciated films of the past 25 years, it's really, really good. 

It's more comparable to Split in terms of quality. If you liked Split you'll like this, I believe. It's a fitting ending to the erstwhile trilogy. 

quite liked it. loved the third act but it's a long walk to get there. spends too much time recapping unbreakable, split and... itself. but m night really sticks the landing in a way he hasn't since Unbreakable. really tied the whole thing together beautifully.

split has never done much for me i actually think McAvoy's better here.

I really loved it! And i'm wonderfully surprised! All I heard was negative things/reviews and I was so worried because I loved Split (still haven't seen Unbreakable but i'll get on that asap) but it just goes to show you can't trust critics. Glass started pretty slow but built beautifully. Some parts seemed a little rushed/underdeveloped so this is a movie I would actually buy for an extended cut. I would love to see more of the final three and how they teamed up. Heck, i'd watch another movie with them tbh.

Edited by glassfairy

I liked it. In a way it is a sequel to both Split and Unbreakable. I enjoyed the parts of the film that served as an Unbreakable sequel. I was prepared to give the film an A but the last 10 min proved underwhelming (shadowy organization reveal) and a bit of a letdown. Also, I thought some of the dialogue written for the movie’s secondary characters, especially the overbearing comic book trivia, was sometimes laughable. 

B

M. Night deserves credit for crafting a consistent trilogy in terms of quality. I thought both Unbreakable and Split were both decent at best and this wasn’t too far off from them, although the negatives ended up outweighing the positives for me. A lot of that stems from the disjointed nature of the film: it’s definitely Shyamalan’s most ambitious movie to date, but I don’t think he completely pulls off everything he’s trying to do here in trying to marry the tones of two completely different films and ends up leaving his ideas (the deconstruction of the superhero mythos is more fascinating now given where comic books/comic book movies are today compared to when Clinton was about to leave office) as half-baked. Another was everything that had to do with the Sarah Paulson character: usually love her but she’s mostly reduced to being an exposition piece until the end where the big reveal about her character and the people she works for made me literally roll my eyes. I also expected a better balance among the leads, as James McAvoy does most of the heavy lifting with his showboating while Samuel L. Jackson is surprisingly subdued and Bruce Willis has little to do outside of the few action sequences. Far from Shyamalan’s worst movie, and when it works (like the meeting between Paulson and the three) it works very well, but the script definitely needed to go back to the workshop for fine-tuning. C+

• Like 1

I have no clue what to grade this. I kinda straight up hated it when I first watched it, but parts of it are growing on me. I actually liked many aspects of the movie, particularly the first act. The third act was what sorta unwound the whole thing for me at first, but the more I think about it the better the third act tied things together. 

Think I'm gonna come back to this in a week or so and give it a grade then. 

• Like 2

I'm kind of mixed on it as well.  I didn't like how all of them died.  I especially didn't like how Dunn died in the puddle.  I get the kryptonite thing but it still bothered me.  Like @DAJK I don't know how to grade it.  Some of it really really bothered me and other parts of it I liked a lot.  The first third was good and the last third was decent.  The middle is what has me torn.

• Like 1

I rather enjoyed this, and it played like the shamalan superhero film that we've seen before. Realistic and well paced for added tension. We all know that M Night is known for surprise endings so he started to ruin his trademark by Not leaving the clues to make a greater payoff because we will know to look for them. If Mrs. glass spoke to one of the teens about comics and how organizations that monitor superior people are a part of the comics we would see it coming. Likewise, the therapist didn't ask what Bruce saw after touching her hand. Usually the villain might overlook this and have their plans foiled. We have an admiral villain for the next film. and with M Night telling us there are more films set for this universe, I did not expect to see the characters killed off. It only bothered me that he spoke of more films before it came out. He must have a new hero that can thwart this group. It should also be noted that Bruce Willis played a ghost therapist in the sixth sense, and that film is also in the same shamalyuniverse. So Bruce couldn't play two characters, and that concern of mine is resolved. there was enough build up and such to make this a winning film. I hope that it doesn't suffer from the DC ManOfSteel syndrome where surprise killings lead to backlash.

a great film even with all that death. 

Like Unbreakable, the ideas and premise are interesting but unlike Unbreakable, the screenplay and overall execution are cheap, redundant (The majority of the movie is Unbreakable and Split recapped either verbally or flashbacks for the dumb audience) or downright clumsy (Elijah's "masterplan" which is more a string of coincidences and happenstances that he didn't foresee three days before but Shyamalan is trying to pass this as "MR GLASS PLANNED IT ALL ALONG FOR 19 YEARS"...Uh nope, secondary characters that show up arbitrarly to make a twist revelation that he didn't plan happening at that point). What a missed opportunity. (But the psychosexual undertones are unvoluntary hilarious or disturbing).

B- for the first act (I wanted to believe hard in the Shyalamanaissance during the scene when David saves the cheerleaders). C- for the 3rd act.

Edited by dashrendar44

16 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

superman punch him ronald.

+ this kid saying he was gonna salt bae him was the weirdest thing anyone has ever said in a movie. m night trying to prove he's down with the memes. been thinking about this one line for 2 days.

Edited by CoolioD1