John Marston

MLK Weekend Thread: Glass - 40m 3 day, 47m 4 day| Aquaman passes 300m| Dragonball - 21m 5 day

Universal/BVI/Blumhouse’s thriller Glass is looking at between$3.5M-$4M in early Thursday night previews per Deadline sources. As we always say, these figures can fluctuate by tomorrow morning.

Should Glass stay solid, it will rep the best preview night ever for Oscar-nominated Sixth Sense director M. Night Shyamalan, beating his previous $3M high with The Last Airbender (from 10pm and midnight shows in 2010) and Split‘s $2M from Jan. 19, 2017. Fandango had advance ticket sales for Glass well ahead of Split which posted an opening day of $14.6M (previews repped 14% of that figure), and three-day of $40M. There’s an outside chance Glass hits $5M by end of tonight, in which case the PG-13 film is just under The Nun‘s $5.4M Thursday night which yielded a $22M Friday (previews repped 25%) and a three-day of $53.8M. Four-day here for Glass could be in the $50M vicinity.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/glass-m-night-shyamalan-opening-weekend-box-office-1202537391/

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

I never know what the numbers mean anymore, especially when we are talking about sequels. Plus, the numbers could go higher as the article says.

I feel Aquaman should be almost near 1.1 bil by the end of Monday.

It is a bit early to make any conclusion, but one thing is clear: Glass is a triumph.

Could look at this as a frontloaded Unbreakable sequel, or a more walk-up friendly Split sequel. The brand will either way cause some front-loadedness, so I'm going to expect 10x the previews for the 3-day (following the trajectory of The Nun). So 35-40 from these early numbers. 

One thing is clear: Sharded, Glass will not.

10 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

I feel Aquaman should be almost near 1.1 bil by the end of Monday.

Well, as of yesterday it was at 1.037 ... probably 1.04 going into Friday.  

I'd guess it's close to 1.07 billion after Monday.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

Well, as of yesterday it was at 1.037 ... probably 1.04 going into Friday.  

I'd guess it's close to 1.07 billion after Monday.

way over 

Glass will have an IM similar to Halloween?  The Nun was about the same, those Seem like fair comparisons.  

• Like 1

Honestly I think it's previews are fine. Oddly, every TV spot I saw said it comes out on Friday, rather than the usual "see it Thursday night!".

I think the film is going to open fine and it remains to be seen what the actual preview numbers are but I never buy that "people didn't know when it was coming out" excuse. It's used often and I always roll my eyes when I see it.

Over the same calendar configuration in 2013 Mama did,

10.84 (+7.3%)

7.46 (-31.1%)

3.75 (-49.8%)

Glass could maybe do,

13 (-35%)

7 (-46%)

= 53 3-day / 60 4-day

Split did 40 FSS and 138 dom (3.45x) and I think Glass could target 150 dom (2.8x) with that start.

EDIT: With previews under 4m, this seems optimistic now. OD could be 17-19.

Edited by a2k
  • Astonished 1

Won't give an opinion on these early numbers until I know they're concrete. Knowing Deadline, the numbers could go down by like $2M or up by like $2M 

I reckon this is much more frontloaded than Split, but overall good preview numbers and the film should end up making a nice profit.

Has anyone seen a really inappropriate and racist advert on these forums recently?

Just seen one on this thread and reported it. 

UPDATED, FRIDAY AM: Universal is calling the Thursday night for M. Night Shyamalan’s Glass at $3.7M at 3,200 theaters, which would make it the director’s top preview night ever beating The Last Airbender‘s $3M and coming in way ahead of Split‘s $2M previews.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Ehhh

Well, good for Deadline for being correct at least :lol:

In all seriousness, this isn’t a disaster or breakout. Probably 37-38 FSS and 44/45 for the four day