John Marston

MLK Weekend Thread: Glass - 40m 3 day, 47m 4 day| Aquaman passes 300m| Dragonball - 21m 5 day

8 minutes ago, RichWS said:

FRIDAY Midday Update: As we expected based on last night’s preview figures, Universal/BVI/Blumhouse’s Glass is headed for a $50M-$52M four-day weekend, and a $44M three-day. Both figures are higher than what Split made respectively (even though it didn’t launch on an MLK weekend), which was $40M over three days, $42.9M over four days. Today, with last night’s $3.7M, looks to be between $16M-$17.5M.

44 would already be showing less front-loading than The Nun, indicating it could definitely go higher than its 2.15 multiplier. I think it could definitely do a 2.3 at least from the 3-day, which would put 100M in the ballpark. 

Curious about the cinemascore tonight.

• Like 1

STX/Lantern’s The Upside looks like $3M today, -57% from a week ago, on track for a $13M-$14M four-day, $42.3M 11-day gross. Aquaman is eyeing $10M-$11M over four days and will hit $305M by EOD Monday. It’s the sixth DC title to fly past the three-century mark at the domestic B.O.

• Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Early Post-Trak exits for Glass weren’t through the roof with 3 1/2 stars, and a 49% definite recommend. Men and women over 25 were out in numbers respectively with 38% and 30%, but women under 25, who repped 15% of the crowd, enjoyed the movie the most at 84% positive.

With 3m Fri have a tough time seeing sub-14 for Upside 4-day,

5.1 (+70%)

3.6 (-30%)

2.3 (-35%)

= 14.0

15 is far more likely than 13 imo.

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

Wait, that Upside number's for the 4-day? Well that changes things, then.

too early to be frank. that 3 deadline estimate could turn into closer to 4 official estimates and 14 changes to 17+ :)

Edited by a2k

7 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Early Post-Trak exits for Glass weren’t through the roof with 3 1/2 stars, and a 49% definite recommend. Men and women over 25 were out in numbers respectively with 38% and 30%, but women under 25, who repped 15% of the crowd, enjoyed the movie the most at 84% positive.

I think anything in the B's for cinemascore would be fine for this. It's if it creeps into the C's that I'd start to get worried about legs. 

M. Night Shyamalan's Glass is topping the Friday box office with an estimated $15 million-plus, putting the pic on course for a domestic debut of $45 million-$50 million over the four-day Martin Luther King Jr. weekend, according to early returns.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-glass-earns-37m-thursday-previews-1177218

• Astonished 1

M. Night Shyamalan’s “Glass” is heading for a solid opening of about $47 million at 3,841 North American locations during its first four days, early estimates showed Friday.

The second weekend of “The Upside” should lead the rest of the pack with about $16 million at 3,080 venues over the four days, Friday estimates showed. The Kevin Hart-Bryan Cranston comedy-drama should wind up the weekend with a North American total in the $45 million range in its first 11 days for STX and Lantern.

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/box-office-glass-aquaman-1203112053/

Glass only cost about 20 million, some of which M. Night personally financed himself. It's already doubled it's budget on OW if this early number pans out, I'd call that a success even if it's legs are absolute garbage.

Unbreakable got a C CinemaScore

Split got a B+

Most of the user reviews are saying this movie isn't better than Split and/or is disappointing. Many are hating it. 

Glass might get a B- / C+  CinemaScore.  If it gets a C, then legs might be bad. Then again. Unbreakable also got that CinemaScore, so I have no idea. 

During The Sixth Sense's second weekend, I dragged my mother to see Bowfinger. We never Sixth Sense in theaters. I have apologized to her. Not a knock on Bowfinger, but I feel like I'll remember that decision during my final days.

Edited by RichWS
  • Haha 3

4-day weekend super duper early projection based on super early Friday,

Movie   Deadline Variety

Glass      50-52      47

Upside    13-14      16

AQM       10-11      13