John Marston

MLK Weekend Thread: Glass - 40m 3 day, 47m 4 day| Aquaman passes 300m| Dragonball - 21m 5 day

2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I wonder if tickets for the film are higher than normal prices. South Indian films do so and the biggest of that managed numbers similar to Dragon Brolly.

Baahubali 2: The Conclusion

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
2017/04/28 2 $4,598,336   425 $10,820   $4,598,336 1
2017/04/29 5 $3,497,447 -24% 425 $8,229   $8,095,783 2
2017/04/30 4 $2,334,714 -33% 425 $5,493   $10,430,497

i don't think it is ok comparison, DB has already surpass baahubali 2's total in just 5 days and Broly has 100% saturday's spike

Edited by titanic2187

Good opening for Glass, even if it's not as impressive as Split's breakout two years ago and not as high as it seemed the film could go prior to the weak reviews taking some of the air out of its hype. Legs will undoubtedly be land closer to those of Unbreakable than Split, but it's still already a hit against the small, Shaymalan-controlled budget.

The Upside had an excellent hold and should hang around for some time, a la The Bucket List in the same slot in 2008. It's running ahead of Bucket List's total through the same point, so the $100 million milestone could be in play. Definitely the best this film could have hoped for after the post-Weinstein release date limbo.

The numbers for Dragon Ball have been astonishing; I really didn't know that there was still such a big audience for it. That Saturday number - with its $10,000+ PTA - is particularly jaw-dropping. It obviously wouldn't perform nearly as well on a per-theater basis in wider release, but I would think that such huge numbers would result in a wider, more aggressive rollout in the future.

Aquaman held up fairly nicely as it swam past $300 million domestically. The domestic total for Batman v. Superman should be within striking range to put it behind just Wonder Woman on the domestic DCEU chart.

Awesome hold for Spider-Man. I have it landing around $185-190 million as a domestic total, though that range could climb a little if it continues to post relatively small drops.

It's also nice to see strong holds across the rest of the top ten and beneath it as well. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Aquaman 20 million ahead of the combined total of the three movies that were supposed to severely hit its legs, take away from its audience and just generally kill its box office. Still can't believe it...

• Haha 1

So what's this about? From Deadline

"ComScore is calling the 3-day for the movie at $8.7M, 4-day at $9.7M and the six-day run at $20.5M.....Domestic end result here could be well north of $50M."

So despite Box Office Mojo saying $21 million for 3 days...Comscore is saying $20.5 million for 4 days?

What's this about the domestic total being well above $50 million? There's no way that could ever possibly happen could it?

Edit: Yeah Comscore has it at $19.5 million as of Sunday. Very different from what Box Office Mojo are saying.

Edited by scabab

37 minutes ago, scabab said:

So what's this about? From Deadline

"ComScore is calling the 3-day for the movie at $8.7M, 4-day at $9.7M and the six-day run at $20.5M.....Domestic end result here could be well north of $50M."

So despite Box Office Mojo saying $21 million for 3 days...Comscore is saying $20.5 million for 4 days?

What's this about the domestic total being well above $50 million? There's no way that could ever possibly happen could it?

Edit: Yeah Comscore has it at $19.5 million as of Sunday. Very different from what Box Office Mojo are saying.

When did Mojo say 21M for 3-day? Just look at the weekend chart, there's nothing saying that lol

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

to explain DBS's impressive opening, i think the fans are just super excited that this year is the 10 year anniversary of Dragonball Evolution. 

I see you are a man of great taste as well

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

No one expected Mary Poppins to be in last place a few months ago. Wow.  

Yea, I'm actually surprised at how utterly mediocre its run has been. Still, with home video sales it'll turn out a decent profit. I'm actually more surprised with WIR2's numbers overseas. It's basically opened in every major market except France and Germany and has done $262m OS. 

• Like 1

Whats interesting to me as far as MPR goes is that the OS hasnt done anything other than what was expected. It should end around 200m OS which was my expectation pre release. It was the Domestic front that I (and others) severely overestimated. 

Also, no one expected BR to be so big overseas and I am sure that played a part. Either way a Musical film reaching 200m is quite a feat, just sad we have 2 instead of 3 this year. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DAJK said:

When did Mojo say 21M for 3-day? Just look at the weekend chart, there's nothing saying that lol

Oh I meant BOM has Broly at $21 million at the end of the 3 day. Comscore has Broly at $20.5 million at the end of the 4 day.

Those are two very different estimates.

40 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Yea, I'm actually surprised at how utterly mediocre its run has been. Still, with home video sales it'll turn out a decent profit. I'm actually more surprised with WIR2's numbers overseas. It's basically opened in every major market except France and Germany and has done $262m OS. 

Not sure home video is gonna make up for the costs of MPR - it is dangerously close from going from a disappointment to a flop. 

130 million budget plus 100 million for marketing = 230 million costs. 

320 million total gross multiplied by 0.5 = 160 million in studio revenue.   Losing 70 million on a 230 million investment qualifies it as a box office flop for sure, if not an outright bomb.  

ETA: Or are there other markets that havent opened yet for MPR?  If so, they could salvage the movie.  It needs to make over 400 million to break even. 

Edited by katniss

Hollywood Reporter are saying the same thing.

"After opening on Wednesday to a stunning $7 million, the pic is projected to gross $10 million to $12 million for the four-day holiday, including $8.7 million for the three days."

Do that and Comscore are sayings its done $8.7 million for the 3 day which is very different from Box Office Mojo and these other Twitter reports saying $10.6 million for the 3 day.

Any explanation?

8 minutes ago, katniss said:

Not sure home video is gonna make up for the costs of MPR - it is dangerously close from going from a disappointment to a flop. 

130 million budget plus 100 million for marketing = 230 million costs. 

320 million total gross multiplied by 0.5 = 160 million in studio revenue.   Losing 70 million on a 230 million investment qualifies it as a box office flop for sure, if not an outright bomb.  

Marketing costs are not added to define flop or hit. It's production budget*2 or 2.5 or 3, depending, on China share and bonuses. Home media and satellite/streaming rights can generally cover the marketing cost then. Due to lack of information about most of these numbers, PB*2 is mostly used.