John Marston

MLK Weekend Thread: Glass - 40m 3 day, 47m 4 day| Aquaman passes 300m| Dragonball - 21m 5 day

2 hours ago, Webslinger said:

The numbers for Dragon Ball have been astonishing; I really didn't know that there was still such a big audience for it. That Saturday number - with its $10,000+ PTA - is particularly jaw-dropping. It obviously wouldn't perform nearly as well on a per-theater basis in wider release, but I would think that such huge numbers would result in a wider, more aggressive rollout in the future.

Actually, i do believe the audience for Dragon Ball has only grown in the last few years. Dragon Ball Super has its critics ofc, but it is defintely one of most popular anime shows in recent years and has attracted a lot of new fans to the series. Add to that that the original fans of the 80s and 90s are still alive and spending money and... well...

success.

25 minutes ago, scabab said:

Hollywood Reporter are saying the same thing.

"After opening on Wednesday to a stunning $7 million, the pic is projected to gross $10 million to $12 million for the four-day holiday, including $8.7 million for the three days."

Do that and Comscore are sayings its done $8.7 million for the 3 day which is very different from Box Office Mojo and these other Twitter reports saying $10.6 million for the 3 day.

Any explanation?

One is preweekend projection and BOM is the weekend estimate as provided by the studio with actual figures. Take a chill pill. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, narniadis said:

One is preweekend projection and BOM is the weekend estimate as provided by the studio with actual figures. Take a chill pill. 

No it isn't because that was only said earlier today and Box Office Mojo said this

"Looking at a surprise third place position is FUNimation's Dragon Ball Super: Broly, though, as noted in our lede, the studio is not reporting domestic grosses this morning"

25 minutes ago, scabab said:

No it isn't because that was only said earlier today and Box Office Mojo said this

"Looking at a surprise third place position is FUNimation's Dragon Ball Super: Broly, though, as noted in our lede, the studio is not reporting domestic grosses this morning"

Maybe not FUNimation itself, but Sony almost certainly did for them as the distributor 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Mary Poppins is a flat out box office disappointment. I don't see how anyone can spin its numbers to argue otherwise. What international markets hasn't it opened in?

Japan and South Korea are the last major markets. Japan is pretty big on musicals, so MPR should be a decent hit over there. 

Edited by KP1025
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

i don't think it is ok comparison, DB has already surpass baahubali 2's total in just 5 days and Broly has 100% saturday's spike

No, I am saying weekend number are in similar range.

Anyways my point was that Brolly might have tickets at $20-30, just like South Indian films. If not that PTA is very very impressive.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

MLK Weekend Top 5 (Three Days)

1. Glass: $38.7mn

2. The Upside: $14.8mn

3. Aquaman: $10.1mn

4. DragonBallSuper: $9.95mn

5. Spider Verse: $7.4mn

Glass dropped that hard on Sunday? damn 

1 hour ago, scabab said:

Sony? Do you mean Fox?

Mojo put that $3.3mn using their own estimate. It was never going to be this high.

Usually what happens is comScore tracks numbers, Studio adds the unreported numbers from private screenings and report the Friday. Similarly Saturday but weirdly in US they (distributor) estimate the Sunday numbers on Sunday morning itself and report the weekend numbers.

Funimation in this case hasn't done any of this, and Mojo can't miss the #3 film of weekend in their charts so they put their estimates for Sunday.

Anyways the actual Sunday is tracking for $2.65mn. I won't be surprised to see it holding great on Monday as on Holidays, these events films do big numbers.

Also, for Dragon Bolly there will be some unreported numbers as well, so actual weekend will be $10mn plus easily if Funimation reports.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Mojo put that $3.3mn using their own estimate. It was never going to be this high.

Usually what happens is comScore tracks numbers, Studio adds the unreported numbers from private screenings and report the Friday. Similarly Saturday but weirdly in US they (distributor) estimate the Sunday numbers on Sunday morning itself and report the weekend numbers.

Funimation in this case hasn't done any of this, and Mojo can't miss the #3 film of weekend in their charts so they put their estimates for Sunday.

Anyways the actual Sunday is tracking for $2.65mn. I won't be surprised to see it holding great on Monday as on Holidays, these events films do big numbers.

Also, for Dragon Bolly there will be some unreported numbers as well, so actual weekend will be $10mn plus easily if Funimation reports.

So it's going to be down but not by that much? Below Mojo's $10.6 million but above Comscores $9.7 million?

That'd be fine considering it'd overperformed as much as it is to begin with.

hell yeah, broly be makimg dat money

give me dat big budget live action dbz movie next pls

5 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Actually, i do believe the audience for Dragon Ball has only grown in the last few years. Dragon Ball Super has its critics ofc, but it is defintely one of most popular anime shows in recent years and has attracted a lot of new fans to the series. Add to that that the original fans of the 80s and 90s are still alive and spending money and... well...

success.

Dragon Ball FighterZ probably helped a bit