John Marston

MLK Weekend Thread: Glass - 40m 3 day, 47m 4 day| Aquaman passes 300m| Dragonball - 21m 5 day

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Under $50m 4 day is a bit underwhelming for Glass. Deadline say Universal were expecting at least $50m. 

Industry tracking was $60-70m just two days ago. 

Source: Hollywood Reporter

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/glass-dominate-mlk-box-office-60m-70m-us-debut-1176740

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Not that it's a failure or anything but why do ya'll think Glass isn't going to do 60-70mil 4 day? Was it just over estimated or did the reviews effect it a little?

End of trilogy, Split's reception, director with a loyal fan-base who is on the upswing recently, and big names coming together in a genre that's getting stronger every year easily pointed to 50-60 4-day after Split itself managed 43 4-day (including non-holiday Monday).

On the flip side Unbreakable did 46.0 5-day (Wed-Sun) and only 95 dom way back in 2000, while Split in comparison did a surprising 3.45x just couple of years back. Unbreakable's 95m dom adjusts to much higher now but that movie was fresh of Sixth Sense so many would have checked it out just due the director and goodwill. Maybe not many in GA cared about this being the end of the 'Unbreakable trilogy'. Continuous world-building without a strong payoff gets weary.

All in all though movie is putting considerable event film numbers in relation to the costs.

Edited by a2k

5 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Glass is alot more like Unbreakable in tone than Split. I do wonder how people who expected "Split 2" will react.

Oh yes, it's very much of a similar tone and feel. The film is doing really well overseas right now it seems, on par with Split in several, increasing quite a bit in others. With that Cinemascore, perhaps the film won't have the meh WOM some people thought it would. I love the film but I'm pleasantly surprised by the B Cinemascore and even those PostTrak numbers. 

• Like 1

According to Deadline it could happen as early as Monday,

Spider-Verse...  Sony 2,712 (-317) $1.8M (-18%) $7.4M (-18%) $9.3M $160.3M
  Mary Poppins 2 Dis   2,810 (-443) $1.2M (-32%) $5.3M (-31%) $6.7M $160.2M
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The box office for Broly is like this 

"What you're seeing now is my $11 million 6 day estimate"

Boom!

"This is a $15 million 6 day estimate"

Boom!

"This is what's known as a $16 million 6 day estimate or you could call this double what Resurrection F made".

"And this is to go even further beyond! 11111888888.....77777 million!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

Wow The Upside having a close to 19 million second weekend is a amazing. This will fly past 100 million. Kevin Hart and his power.

It pretty much sums the fact that twitter mobs are not a representation of what society thinks really.

I just dislike how much twitter plays in role ins shaping public debate when its user base that is active on such issues really does not represent society as a whole.

1 hour ago, scabab said:

"What you're seeing now is my $11 million 6 day estimate"

Boom!

"This is a $15 million 6 day estimate"

Boom!

"This is what's known as a $16 million 6 day estimate or you could call this double what Resurrection F made".

"And this is to go even further beyond! 11111888888.....77777 million!"

How about $22mn 6 days estimates.:Gaga:

• Astonished 1

28 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

It pretty much sums the fact that twitter mobs are not a representation of what society thinks really.

I just dislike how much twitter plays in role ins shaping public debate when its user base that is active on such issues really does not represent society as a whole.

It's a horrendous two-headed monster.

Not only does it give false impressions of where societal perspective is at, it also means that any media and commentators looking for a hot take or easy target because at the end of the day pretty much any perspective on anything will be tweeted, allowing for literally anything to be reported as "outrage". So now not only is there fake, or at least heavily distorted or exaggerated "outrage", but a whole heap of outrage about outrage. 

Meanwhile, this looks like a great hold for The Upside and some strong holds all round - nice enough weekend for Poppins, actually. I still haven't seen Split so probably don't belong in the Glass discussion but I have been surprised by some of the upper estimates that were given for this film.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 1