filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

5 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Not sure what this is supposed to mean.  It’s a movie, and as such, it should qualify to compete in awards season.  Why discriminate just because it’s Netflix?

Yes, either in the best tv movie category of the emmy or the Oscar if it is a theatrical one.

Roma will not be in many of the theaters Oscar nominated marathon they do every year, it is ridiculous.

Edited by Barnack

33 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Most interesting decision IMO will be between "I2" and "Spider-Verse" for Best Animated Feature. 

Spider-Verse has the technical geeks agog, but as a movie it's a pretty mess. I2 has its flaws as well. 

I know 'subjectivity' and 'different opinions' exist and all that shit, but this take seriously befuddled me for a bit in how wrong I'd call it. 'Into the Spiderverse' is probably one of the best, most tightly/efficiently constructed stories of the year, particularly in regards to its structure, foreshadowing and how it handles its themes and character arcs and shit through both writing and use of visual language. A 'mess' it is not by a long shot. 

Personally I like I2 just fine, but if there's any justice in the world ITSV should take this home and it shouldn't even be close. 

• Like 7

It's nice to see BP in there and making some long needed history in the category, but no one will convince me IW isn't the far superior cinematic achievement. I still wish the Academy voted more based on that opposed to what "statements" a film made. Though I would have been fine with both being there, though it would have never happened.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It's nice to see BP in there and making some long needed history in the category, but no one will convince me IW isn't the far superior cinematic achievement. I still wish the Academy voted more based on that opposed to what "statements" a film made. Though I would have been fine with both being there, though it would have never happened.

Loving all these IMDb-tier takes in this thread.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dude who cares if the academy did not nomiante IW ??

Its the biggest film of 2018 and was a huge crowd pleasure with audiences globally and one of the biggest hits ever. 

4 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Is it normal for a film to get a BP nom without any nominations in any other major category?

Surely there must have been something that made it BP worthy?

War Horse only got tech and music nominations as well. With 7-10 nominees in Best Picture, you're going to see occasional films get in where the bulk of its support is in the tech branches. Also Selma got a BP nod with literally nothing else but Original Song.

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Dude who cares if the academy did not nomiante IW ??

Its the biggest film of 2018 and was a huge crowd pleasure with audiences globally and one of the biggest hits ever. 

It's just a little vexing because there have been so many deserving CBM snubs over the years that had to pave the way for this to happen for an inferior film. It would have been nice to see it happen for the first time with something truly exceptional, like Lord of the Rings for fantasy.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Roma is a great film. 

I cannot believe that so many self-anointed "film buffs" are dismissing it as 'boring' and 'unexciting.'

Oh, well, maybe if it had had car chases, superpowers, and a messy third-act fight full of badly executed CGI...

So glad that Blunt was snubbed for her overrated cine-cosplay in MPR,

So glad that Close will most likely get her Oscar, but so pissed that Toni Colette was ignored in Hereditary

Edited by LouisianaArkansasGeorgia

48 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

spider-verse won the globe and the PGA so it's looking pretty good. i don't think a movie has won both of those and then lost the oscar ever.

I don't know how Disney divvied up their funds in this crop of noms...Maybe on Place Where Lost Things Go...why spend money on BP for BP if they know it won't win besides the fact that they own ABC and want those views.

tldr; I hope they didn't pay to win the category again. 

It's nice to see BP in there and making some long needed history in the category, but no one will convince me A Dog's Way Home isn't the far superior cinematic achievement. I still wish the Academy voted more based on that opposed to what "statements" a film made. Though I would have been fine with both being there, though it would have never happened.  As usual, the Academy shows their pro-cat agenda.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 2

There's a couple disappointments and surprises for sure, but the only real "snubs" IMO (shoulda WON but didn't get nominated) were Chalamet for Beautiful Boy and WYBMN for Best Doc.

Emily Blunt not getting anything for A Quiet Place is kinda disappointing, but she wouldn't have won either way. Still, I think she was better than at least 2-3 of the nominees.