filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

39 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Is it normal for a film to get a BP nom without any nominations in any other major category?

Surely there must have been something that made it BP worthy?

It got 7 nominations, that's a pretty decent tally which indicates how much respect it had in various branches. Its BP nomination doesn't come off as a token gesture like Selma which only got Picture and Song, or The Post last year which only had an Actress nomination to go along with the one it received in Picture.
I hope Coogler knocks out of the park yet again with the sequel to prove that the acclaim and accolades Black Panther has received is no fluke. They might even nab a Visual Effects nomination if the effects team are given a bigger budget to work with.

Apart from Marina De Tavira's stunning appearance in Supporting Actress, the biggest shock of the day for me was the entire Documentary Feature line-up. Unlike other years, I went out of my way to catch some of the so-called ''contenders'' in that category (Shirkers, Three Identical Strangers, Won't You Be My Neighbor?, etc.), and all of them bar Minding the Gap ended up missing. 

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

Also, why is no one surprised that Ethan Hawke was left out ?

On Metacritic's tabulations he's won by far the most awards, possibly more than the rest combined, and he's not even nominated.

Anyway, IDGAF about the Oscars these days. Too much hypocrisy in Hollywood

First Reformed was never talked about for awards. One of those films that just came, went under the radar, and left. Shame.

Few thoughts: The thing that pleases me most is Kendrick & SZA getting nominated even if that song sucks. I hope they win but it'll probably go to The Shallows, right? That one's pretty damn catchy.

I hope Spiderverse wins but it'd be cool if Wes Anderson got an oscar. I liked I2 a lot too but it'd be nice if something other than Disney won for a change so I'm rooting for either of those too.

Blackkkklansman and Roma are my favorite of the best picture nominees, I'd be happy with either of those winning, Spike Lee deserves a damn oscar already. And I'm firmly in the Infinity War > Black Panther camp, I rewatched it and just thought the social commentary felt like lip service, michael b Jordan was just a guy trying to be tough and badass (felt that way since the trailer tbh), it just stunk.

Also I kinda hate to be the guy complaining about snubs but Beale Street not getting nominated for picture, director or cinematography is stupid.

29 minutes ago, DAJK said:

There's a couple disappointments and surprises for sure, but the only real "snubs" IMO (shoulda WON but didn't get nominated) were Chalamet for Beautiful Boy and WYBMN for Best Doc.

Chalamet stans are literally melting down on Twitter today lmao. His snub could be seen coming from miles away though. He was the Hong Chau of this year (potential lone nominee for a no1curr movie that showed up at the precursors only to get snubbed the morning of nominations).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

btw anyone who says IW is better than Panther can choke. Not even kidding

IW has better performances overall, better cinematography, better spectacle, better plot that does something different and isn't the umpteenth retread of the hero's journey we've seen a million times, etc. BP is a very competently made film, but it is also following very basic outlines when you get down to it. IW is far more interesting, and again a way bigger cinematic achievement. Nothing that epic in scope has been pulled off in films as successfully since LOTR. Yeah, that deserves recognition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

No one was expecting chalamet to get nominated. Did they push for lead or supporting? Both categories strong this year.

He was in Supporting where hit Golden Globes, Critics Choice, SAG, and BAFTA and still ended up missing (most likely for either Elliott or Rockwell). Just goes to show what having a strong movie to back you up can do for you.

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

No one was expecting chalamet to get nominated. Did they push for lead or supporting? Both categories strong this year.

I wouldn't say no one expected a nomination for him. He received Golden Globe, SAG and BAFTA nominations in Supporting. The issue for him with AMPAS was that he was the only reason to watch Beautiful Boy by all accounts, whereas Vice was prioritised much more by Academy members because it was considered to be competing in more categories, hence Rockwell's inclusion.