filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

26 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

IW has better performances overall, better cinematography, better spectacle, better plot that does something different and isn't the umpteenth retread of the hero's journey we've seen a million times, etc. BP is a very competently made film, but it is also following very basic outlines when you get down to it. IW is far more interesting, and again a way bigger cinematic achievement. Nothing that epic in scope has been pulled off in films as successfully since LOTR. Yeah, that deserves recognition.

I haven't seen IW but if BP 'following basic outlines' means having a simple story well told then give me that any day of the week over the eye-grating wall-to-wall action we so often get.

(I don't think BP should win, er, BP though. It's not the best film there and really doesn't need it.)

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He was in Supporting where hit Golden Globes, Critics Choice, SAG, and BAFTA and still ended up missing (most likely for either Elliott or Rockwell). Just goes to show what having a strong movie to back you up can do for you.

Hasn't stopped Bohemian Rhapsody from getting a bunch of noms. 

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

That must be the most underwhelming Oscar line-up since....I’m not sure? It speaks volumes I, a movie nerd, hadn’t know they had announced the nominees until today.

Well the announcement was just today no ?

Who says IW has a game changing plot, sure it’s the first to include a crossover between many films but the plot is just the same as any other superhero or big fantasy movie in a way: stop the villain from getting some MacGuffin to become all powerful. I loved IW but the only thing it really beats Panther in is scale and visual effects.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Hasn't stopped Bohemian Rhapsody from getting a bunch of noms. 

Yeah but people actually saw Bohemian Rhapsody and it has its supporters whereas who saw or liked Beautiful Boy other than Chalamet superfans? lol

The fact he got so far for such a nothing movie after becoming the youngest Best Actor nominee since around the time the Oscars were in their teens means no tears for him cause clearly he's got a lot of goodwill in the industry right now. His next projects (The King, Little Women, Dune, the Wes Anderson movie) all sound much more exciting anyway.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, gadd said:

I wouldn't say no one expected a nomination for him. He received Golden Globe, SAG and BAFTA nominations in Supporting. The issue for him with AMPAS was that he was the only reason to watch Beautiful Boy by all accounts, whereas Vice was prioritised much more by Academy members because it was considered to be competing in more categories, hence Rockwell's inclusion.

Oh, didn't realise he got those nominations.

Don't think it's fair to say he is the only reason to watch Beautiful Boy. He's not even the best actor in it. Steve Carrell is terrific and deserving of awards talk for his performance.

Also the movie is terrific. It's one of the best and most authentic portrayals of addiction.

23 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

@CoolEric258

Your icon is killing me.  I love it.

(Also, are you okay? You know, with Timmy not getting anything?)

Beautiful Boy was kinda meh-tastic, so it's no huge loss. Besides, he's got Little Women and possibly French Dispatch this year. He'll get his due awards.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

no movie has ever spanned the life of multiple dogs before and yet A Dog’s Purpose was snubbed in 2017.  a movie with scale like no other and yet the academy ignores it.  always knew they were a bunch of dog haters.

So disappointed Borras from Roma didn't got a supporting actor nod 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah but people actually saw Bohemian Rhapsody and it has its supporters whereas who saw or liked Beautiful Boy other than Chalamet superfans? lol

The fact he got so far for such a nothing movie after becoming the youngest Best Actor nominee since around the time the Oscars were in their teens means no tears for him cause clearly he's got a lot of goodwill in the industry right now. His next projects (The King, Little Women, Dune, the Wes Anderson movie) all sound much more exciting anyway.

I was joking. :P 

Ugh... Widows DESERVED. Completely snubbed this entire awards season. Such a shame. Happy for Yalitza and black panther. Shocked at the Beale street snub. No way it was winning, because they wouldn't award the same director for best film in such a short time-span from his last win.