filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

5 minutes ago, Slambros said:

It was ineligible.

Hey slambros. Long time no see.

Thanks. That explains a lot, there's no other way it could have missed out. Why's it ineligible? It got a theatrical release in the States.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TMP said:

Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book getting nominations is pretty crazy. The weakest film nominated last year is still way better than the three of these

Black Panther doesn't deserve to be in your list, Vice would be a better choice. That was actually a really mediocre film. 

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Black panther is the post of 91st oscar, no director/no screenplay nomination, but still managed to sneak in thanks to social relevancy. 

I have to concede, they pinched their noses and voted for capeshit nom but didn't want to give it a chance to win (hence no director, script, editing). :sadno: still, CBM is in so where there's one there will be another. :stirthepot:

Cooper snub, lmao! he focused his campaign on Director and lost the spot to the Polish guy. 

LMAO, Yalitza Rises! :rofl:I seriously thought that nom would never happen.

No JDW. :sadno: what rock was Dafoe hiding under all this time?

No Rhino! :ohmygod::whosad: but Goransson is in! :worthy:

no Timmy! :sadno:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Black Panther doesn't deserve to be in your list, Vice would be a better choice. That was actually a really mediocre film. 

Vice = most disappointing movie of the year. Of the rest of the list I enjoyed all of them. The quaility of a Roma vs BP isn’t close but atleast there’s a case there for BP. Vice was just bland and forgettable 

• Like 1

I feel like Roma is gonna end up winning Best Picture tbh. Which is probably ABC’s worst nightmare come true (a black and white foreign language film released on Netflix taking home the big prize) but oh well.

Edited by filmlover

With the last minute whispers of Cold War making it to Best Picture, one has to assume it was probably #9 just without enough first place support.... 

The support for Quiet Place just seemed to fizzle completely. 

I really think they should go back to a stable 10 noms but what do I know. 

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

I feel like Roma is gonna end up winning Best Picture tbh. Which is probably ABC’s worst nightmare (a black and white foreign language film released on Netflix taking home the big prize) but oh well.

Roma shouldnt be qualified since its a Netflix production but I know that doesnt sit well. If you don't have a reportable gross then in a sense you didnt release the film. 

Also the film is a slog to sit through and if it had been made by any other filmmaker it wouldnt be in any kind of contention. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Hey slambros. Long time no see.

Thanks. That explains a lot, there's no other way it could have missed out. Why's it ineligible? It got a theatrical release in the States.

Hello to you! Glad you're doing well!

For TSNGO, it was all because of the timing of the release. You may have noticed that the film was first released as an event; it wasn't released in theaters for a full week--not in 2018. Plus, the film definitely came out too late to make it onto the 15-film short list; the film's first theatrical release was about eight days after that announcement.

But it is still significant that Warner Bros. went through with the release of the film regardless of awards, just out of the passion they have for Peter Jackson's project. That, and its place in film history, is an award in and of itself.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I have to concede, they pinched their noses and voted for capeshit nom but didn't want to give it a chance to win (hence no director, script, editing). :sadno: still, CBM is in so where there's one there will be another. :stirthepot:

Cooper snub, lmao! he focused his campaign on Director and lost the spot to the Polish guy. 

LMAO, Yalitza Rises! :rofl:I seriously thought that nom would never happen.

No JDW. :sadno: what rock was Dafoe hiding under all this time?

No Rhino! :ohmygod::whosad: but Goransson is in! :worthy:

no Timmy! :sadno:

I told ya! Yalita is full force!!

And Cooper snub was something I hope, cold war deserve the slot!

And great BP VFX is an VFX department disaster!

48 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Congrats Internet for a comic book movie finally getting a Best Picture nomination!

"But the nomination was slapped on BP only because of PC culture, the Academy did not want to be called racist, the SJWs won, it was all an agenda BLAHBLAHBLAH..."

• Thanks 1