filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

And overall can't be mad. Upset for those First Man snubs (Score and Editing) and the bland BP category but happy for the love to Cold War. Really didn't loved the first time I saw it but damn nearly two months since I saw it and has aged extraordinarily well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Was it Roma that Netflix told theaters that they could only show it if they showed it in 35mm ?

Really, for demanding such high standards, Netflix is the big boy. The other studios should be playing on Netflix's level.

They didn't demand that.

Just to wriggle my way into the debate, Netflix themselves released Roma into theaters, and is treating it like a movie. Streaming is also not equal to a TV network. If it was broadcast as an HBO original or something, and got a BP nom, then you'd have a leg to stand on.

Netflix is operating within the rules that have been granted to them.

If the Academy is gonna make certain eligibility rules requiring films like Roma to be in an exclusive window for theaters, let's not act like Netflix couldn't manage it if they wanted to. The rules are what the rules are, and Roma is eligible.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

They didn't demand that.

Think I remember reading it on here but oh well.

According to Netflix, they released it in 150 theaters in North America, and 700 theaters worldwide.

The fact they don't care for reporting box office is neither here nor there. This got a legitimate theatrical release. Don't see how it can be argued otherwise.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/roma-to-get-limited-70mm-theatrical-run/5135479.article

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Think I remember reading it on here but oh well.

According to Netflix, they released it in 150 theaters in North America, and 700 theaters worldwide.

The fact they don't care for reporting box office is neither here nor there. This got a legitimate theatrical release. Don't see how it can be argued otherwise.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/roma-to-get-limited-70mm-theatrical-run/5135479.article

where is the box office? they could have rented 150 theaters and not shown the movie. give me the BO stats for it to be eligible imo

1 minute ago, cookie said:

At least with Netflix far more people are likely to have seen Roma.

This

Can anyone tell me how much Cold War and Shoplifters grossed in the US? I mean, it's pretty to have a movie in theatres (I myself saw Roma four times in theatres) but with or without Netflix it wouldn't be grossing more than Green Book or Vice and would be snubbed like First Man. It's cool to have both options. Could Netflix be doing it better? Yes, and we'll probably see it with Irishman next year but stop bitching about it.