movies!movies!

Crawl | July 12, 2019 | Paramount

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

The horror films are all so close together this year they’re cannibalising each other.

I knew this was going to happen. 

Yeah I was actually just going to say in the Midsommar thread that I'm starting to feel a bit of a horror burnout, and I'm a mega horror fan. 

10 hours ago, JB33 said:

Yeah I was actually just going to say in the Midsommar thread that I'm starting to feel a bit of a horror burnout, and I'm a mega horror fan. 

I’m loving the releases, but they’ve been underperforming all summer, despite ok reviews. 

Brightburn, Annabelle, Child’s Play, looks like Midsommar too. Possibly this. 

Ma did well though. 

Horror is definitely underperforming. We still didn't have an unexpected hit. everything either did according to expectations or below:

Us, arguably the biggest hit of the bunch and the only one that can claim it performed, had a smashing OW (well above expectations though it was expected to do very well) but crushing legs so it ended up tad below Get Out both Dom and WW.

Glass did well but didn't meet predictions/expectations and bad reviews and WOM stopped it from being a breakout

remakes did what remakes so

Annabelle is running out of gas since the franchise is now too big and frequent for its own good

Ma did fine for that type of a movie but nothing to write home about

Too early to call whether Ari's latest will click more than his last year movie but slight over/under would still be within expectations

Edited by Valonqar

On 7/5/2019 at 3:03 PM, Valonqar said:

Us, arguably the biggest hit of the bunch and the only one that can claim it performed, had a smashing OW (well above expectations though it was expected to do very well) but crushing legs so it ended up tad below Get Out both Dom and WW

2.46x aren’t “crushing legs” for a horror film that was received like a sequel and out-opened its predecessor by more than double. 

Not arguably either. US is one of the biggest horror hits ever, full stop. Not just “of the bunch” lol. 

• Like 2

Yeah. Not great but not as bad for horror as folks claim. Midsommar is doing as expected. Annabelle is hanging around looking at 75M DOM. Crawl will do fine too. Nothing else like it out there. Child's Play definitely undershot hopes. Pet Sematary did fine too. Us was huge. It 2 will be huge.

42 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

2.46x aren’t “crushing legs” for a horror film that was received like a sequel and out-opened its predecessor by more than double. 

Not arguably either. US is one of the biggest horror hits ever, full stop. Not just “of the bunch” lol. 

Ok, I didn't express myself well. It's one of the biggest horrors ever dom but OW definitely promised a bigger total than it ended up with. With 71M OW it should have flown past Get Out and it didn't. IT had better legs (2.65) from much bigger opening (123M) so you would expect it to burn demand more quickly. And yet. 

My point being that people were really pumped to see Us which opening shows, but didn't like the movie all that much given its legs (that are fine for horror but we are talking about insanely critically praised one, so not your average fare). 

Edited by Valonqar

I think this film will still be able to have good legs throughout the rest of July, especially because of the lack of new releases in general. I'm not sure about the opening because I think Paramount botched marketing for this. But word of mouth can kick in after the opening because people really like creature features--The Meg wouldn't have opened to $42M if people didn't, and The Shallows was also a decently sized hit way back when. If Crawl manages to open above $10M, it can easily get a strong multiplier and sail past "double the budget", which is $34M.

Did anyone else see a trailer in theaters that was basically a TV spot, complete with “Crawl, rated R” voiceover at the end? I got that before Far from Home at the AMC Metreon (San Francisco), it was so weird.

Edited by TServo2049

Just now, TServo2049 said:

Did anyone else see a trailer in theaters that was basically a TV spot, complete with “Crawl, rated R” announcement at the end? I got that before Far from Home at the AMC Metreon, it was so weird.

Same. Every now and then they attach a trailer that's more like a short commercial for a movie that's about to come out. 

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Same. Every now and then they attach a trailer that's more like a short commercial for a movie that's about to come out. 

AMC is so odd with trailers when you’re accustomed to the standard procedure every other theater uses. There’s that, and also the single green band at the beginning with AMC-branded rating/release date slides at the end of each trailer. (Though the release dates are not a bad idea if the trailer itself just has the season/month...)

Still not as strange as the one Redditor who claimed they saw the typical YouTube 5-second mini-trailer before a real trailer in a theater. (Not for this movie, and I still don’t know if it was BS.)

Edited by TServo2049