movies!movies!

Crawl | July 12, 2019 | Paramount

Any Idea why the Studio compeltely dropped the ball after a pretty good trailer? I know, it's Paramount, but really, this got great trailer reactions and a lot of clicks but since then: Nothing. No second trailer, no marketing push, it's as if it wasn't opening. I originally thought, this might pull a mini-Meg and open in the Mid 20s, but well, if the studio doesn't care...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Any Idea why the Studio compeltely dropped the ball after a pretty good trailer? I know, it's Paramount, but really, this got great trailer reactions and a lot of clicks but since then: Nothing. No second trailer, no marketing push, it's as if it wasn't opening. I originally thought, this might pull a mini-Meg and open in the Mid 20s, but well, if the studio doesn't care...

I think they might be cutting back on alternate forms of advertisement precisely because of the power of a great trailer; that same great trailer is being shown in front of many movies this summer--John Wick 3, Annabelle: Creation, Midsommar, among others. But you're right--two weeks away from release, they need to be advertising the film in more places than just the theater. Multiple standees at the multiplex isn't going to cut it. I'm still optimistic about the film's chances because The Shallows was able to be a minor hit a few summers ago, but with so few releases this July and the first week of August, I do think Paramount is leaving a little bit of money on the table by not treating this like a summer tentpole and advertising it more aggressively.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I think they might be cutting back on alternate forms of advertisement precisely because of the power of a great trailer; that same great trailer is being shown in front of many movies this summer--John Wick 3, Annabelle: Creation, Midsommar, among others. But you're right--two weeks away from release, they need to be advertising the film in more places than just the theater. Multiple standees at the multiplex isn't going to cut it. I'm still optimistic about the film's chances because The Shallows was able to be a minor hit a few summers ago, but with so few releases this July and the first week of August, I do think Paramount is leaving a little bit of money on the table by not treating this like a summer tentpole and advertising it more aggressively.

They should at least have done some cheap viral marketing. 

Could have done some videos with suspicious aligator activity in Florida. Some made up news videos and stuff. 
Little things, that might generate awareness. 

• Like 1

This does feel like it's being dumped. Thought it had potential to pull similar numbers to The Shallows or 47 Meters Down once but this is R instead of PG-13 like those and the studio completely dropped the ball with the marketing. It's gonna end up an afterthought saddled between Spider-Man and The Lion King.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Here in Florida, this will be the biggest documentary of the year!

Same for North Carolina, especially my area, because a lot of people around me are still recovering from last year's Hurricane Florence.

5 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Same for North Carolina, especially my area, because a lot of people around me are still recovering from last year's Hurricane Florence.

I just hope the only crocs you had to deal with were the shoes.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

I just hope the only crocs you had to deal with were the shoes.

Yeah. I was driving around two days ago and I saw someone who was wearing yellow crocs--mustard yellow crocs--so we're still dealing with a bit of an epidemic.

Edited by Slambros
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I agree. I think she deserves better roles.

She tweeted how guted she was to loose katniss and the Hunger Games the day she lost the part to that forgotten blonde ...

Edited by The Futurist