movies!movies!

Crawl | July 12, 2019 | Paramount

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Goood!

So this is getting 3000 theaters. Maybe confidence on studio's part?

Thry have the right to be confident for sure. Films like The Shallows and 47 Meters Down prove that the audience is there to make this a sleeper hit even without an overabundance of marketing. I'm counting on this film to laugh in the face of the Netflix conundrum while a mid-budget film still theoretically could.

12 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Thry have the right to be confident for sure. Films like The Shallows and 47 Meters Down prove that the audience is there to make this a sleeper hit even without an overabundance of marketing. I'm counting on this film to laugh in the face of the Netflix conundrum while a mid-budget film still theoretically could.

Hopefully it finds audience. I'm mostly worried about horror oversaturation as there are 3 horror movies still in cinemas. 

52 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Was the budget that big?

Not really. $17 Million if Google is correct.

But the film needs an opening above $10M to allow positive WOM and strong legs to have the chance to help.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

This honestly should've stayed in its original late August date and been given a bigger marketing campaign. Could've at least pulled 47 Meters Down numbers.

Yep, or another Don't Breathe. That movie was released the weekend before Labor Day weekend, as dead a release date as there is, yet pulled in a $26.4M opening weekend and legged its way to $89.2M domestic.

5 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Was the budget that big?

4 hours ago, Slambros said:

Not really. $17 Million if Google is correct.

But the film needs an opening above $10M to allow positive WOM and strong legs to have the chance to help.

13,5 according to BOM

6 hours ago, TMP said:

Paramount also thought that Annihilation was bad and that Suburbicon would be an Oscar player, so their judgement isn't the best.

Did they think it was bad? I thought they just seen it as a tough sell? 

4 hours ago, JB33 said:

Yep, or another Don't Breathe. That movie was released the weekend before Labor Day weekend, as dead a release date as there is, yet pulled in a $26.4M opening weekend and legged its way to $89.2M domestic.

I always forget about Don’t Breathe, need to rewatch. 

I was originally planning on seeing Spider-Man tomorrow, but I may just have to see this instead. Spider-Man will always be there. This looks to be a potential cult classic and might not be in theaters for very long.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 2