CoolioD1

Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright Directing + Anya Taylor-Joy stars) | October 29, 2021

17 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

They’ve definitely been overly sensitive lately. I remember a few years ago when it was extremely rare to see an 18, but they seem to hand them out like candy at the moment. They seem to be inconsistent with it as well, The Many Saints of Newark contained multiple uses of the word “c*nt”, racist language and scenes of domestic violence, but got away with a 15, whereas an episode of The Sopranos that contained that kind of content would have received an 18 without question.

Last Night in Soho getting that rating will definitely impact its box office.

Yeh they do seem sensitive just now! I can’t see the actual film appealing to people under 18 to be fair. It’s definitely for a slightly older audience, film geeks mainly. Myself included lol

I thought this was incredible fun. Stylish, poppy and a delight of a rollercoaster, has all the clever trappings of an Edgar Wright film. Gets a little thematically muddled towards the end. Do not go in expecting a full on horror. It's much more of a fantastical mystery thriller, and the horror that is there bends to Wrights will as a director with a distinct brand. Thomasin Mckenzie is fantastic and absolutely carries the film. 

Was forced to listen to Trailer 2 for this when I went to see Halloween Kills a couple of weeks and it gives away far too much even just listening. Was a bit annoyed at that as I'd managed to avoid it. 

Also your theatres speakers aren't having technical issues at the beginning of the film, it's just Wright being his clever self. 

Edit: 

Also one of my first jobs was doing restaurant surveys for a company based out of Soho and it's just a joy to recognise so many street corners, pubs, alleyways, shortcuts and neon signs. Wright did such a good job of capturing the place.

Edited by FilmFincher

I've seen this a couple of times and love it. There was a point in the third act where I worried it was about to go off the deep end but I thought it recovered spectacularly.

It's weird to "feel good" walking out of a movie that's dealing with as much dark material as Soho is, but it's one of those films that gives me a real charge from just how good it is in so many facets. 

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 3

I found it irritating and insulting in a way. I was looking forward to this one since I love Anya, and Edgar as well, but this is just not it.

By offensive I mean ridiculously pretentios, full of references to Argento, even Hitchcock’s “Rebecca” and “Peeping Tom”, but it’s all so meh… Tge dialogues, especially in the second half, are embarrasing to say the least. Entire theatre was laughing.

Thomasin is a complete miscast. As much as I loved her in “Jojo Rabbit”, I can’t stand her here. Her acting is so over the top, even when you take the plot and her character into consideration.

There are some great moments, more so visually, because script is pretty weak - hiding behind the “bigger” story that never lives up to the hype. 

I caught this last night and enjoyed the hell out of it. I get the divisiveness in the reviews and reception thus far, but like Wright's other films, I think it's not going to have much trouble finding a following further down the line. As in all his films, there's so much interesting stuff happening visually and thematically that I was invested in it the whole way through.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 12:02 AM, FilmFincher said:

Also one of my first jobs was doing restaurant surveys for a company based out of Soho and it's just a joy to recognise so many street corners, pubs, alleyways, shortcuts and neon signs. Wright did such a good job of capturing the place.

I had a similar kick out of it, I'm working in City of London these days, but am regularly in that area to catch movies or grab a bite. Watching it in Odeon West End maybe 10 minutes walk from the events of the movie was really fun. 

• Like 2

i enjoyed it but also for his last few movies i feel like Edgar Wright's primary goal as a director is to let you know he thinks he has cool taste in music. also he made a #metoo movie as an apology for working with too many nonces on baby driver.

Edited by CoolioD1