• Black Panther
    • BlacKkKlansman
    • Bohemian Rhapsody
    • The Favourite
    • Green Book
    • Roma
    • A Star is Born
    • Vice

I've only seen 5 out of 8 nominees this year.

1. Roma

2. Blackkklansman

3. Bohemian Rhapsody

4. Black panther

5. A star is born (So happy to see pawel take cooper's director slot)

My favourite to win is blackkklansman, Roma is a better crafted film to me but when come to BP winner, I think blackkklansman is a film that can fit all the requirement, the film is more general audience friendly with social relevancy, stylish crafted and spike lee factor.

Out of the ones I've seen:

1) A Star is Born

2) Roma

3) Black Klansman

4) Black Panther

Nevertheless, all of these films are excellent--all likely to remain in my top five.

I should try to see the other four. I know I said I didn't want to see Bohemian Rhapsody but I might want to see it for reference. Same with Green Book and Vice.

I have two theaters in town that will be willing to play the Best Picture candidates (sans Roma for obvious reasons) so it'd be easy for me.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1

i havent seen Roma ,The Favourite or Vice.... and out of that bunch i'm only already interested in the favourite because i love period set films  ( personally don't think roma should be in best picture if also in best foreign film)

out of those I've seen in order of emotional impact on me 

1 A Star Is Born (tearjerker)

2 Black Panther ( for once not the token black representation ,proud hopeful message of being black)

3  Green Book ( great acting showing transition of ignorance/ racism to acceptance based on experience)    

4 Bohemian Rhapsody  ( i like rami rendering , but apart from that its a bit light , a lot of it was like watching music videos -great btw- not a drama unfolding )

5 Blackkklansman (my babe was gorgeous in it as usual lol , funny concept that thread line betwee serious subject and comedy of situation )

• Like 2

Tier 1 (Absolutely should have been nominated): 

1. The Favourite 

2. Roma 

------------

Tier 2 (Perfectly OK nominations on the bubble):

3. Blackkklansman

4. Green Book

--------------

Tier 3 (Had no business being nominated):

5. Black Panther

6. A Star Is Born

7. Vice

8. Bohemian Rhapsody

Probably the worse nomination list for over a decade. 6-8 especially are ridiculous nominations for efficiently made movies that simply don't have a level of artistic ambition appropriate for "best movie of the year" consideration. Vice and BR have nothing at all to say, and ASIB has nothing to say that hasn't been said 3 times already by the same film and multiple times by other films.

The emotional engagement argument always frustrates me: If the best film was just for the most emotionally affecting one then they might as well give the award to Won't You Be My Neighbour. Or A Dog's Purpose. 

• Like 1