SLAM!

Unplanned | March 29th, 2019 | Pure Flix | a film about Abby Johnson and her experiences in Planned Parenthood | trailer on pg. 2

2 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Best I've seen it handled is on Sex Education on Netflix. 

TV is a good deal less conservative than mainstream cinema. I get why, but speaking as someone who champions movies and would like to do it more it's still a shame.

20 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

TV is a good deal less conservative than mainstream cinema. I get why, but speaking as someone who champions movies and would like to do it more it's still a shame.

Real problem is serious dramatic films are becoming few and far between, at least in the US Market. Already films that wold have gotten a general release 15 years ago are only getting an "Art House" release nowdays.

In Ten years, serious drama in general theatrical release will be extinct. There will only be low budget genre movies, and big budget cgi laden actions movies of varying genres. I absolutely hate that this will happen, but it's coming.

Edited by dudalb

Two reviews for Unplanned have been posted on Rotten Tomatoes. I will post the review blurbs and discuss the recent scoring history of the critics.

A reasonably engaging story about a woman who has a crisis of conscience at her job, anchored by a strong leading performance from Ashley Bratcher.

Mar 25, 2019 | Rating: 3/4 | Full Review…

Mike McGranaghan

Aisle Seat

(This is a "fresh" review. "Fresh" reviews were also recently given to films such as a limited release with 95% known as Starfish as well as wide release film including Five Feet Apart, Captain Marvel, Fighting with my Family, and The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part.)

A riveting reminiscence recounting a Planned Parenthood exec's unlikely conversion to outspoken anti-abortion activist.

Mar 25, 2019 | Rating: 3/4 | Full Review…

Kam Williams

Sly Fox

(This is also a "fresh" review. We have a similarity: this reviewer also gave a "fresh" review to Five Feet Apart. The reviewer gives many more "fresh" ratings than "rotten" ratings. Though it can be noted that, by this reviewer, last year's Little Women adaptation was given a 1.5 out of 4, and God Bless The Broken Road was given a 1 out of 4.)

It remains to be seen how other, more well-known reviewers will respond to the film. Personally, I am still expecting an overall "rotten" score (<60%) when all is said and done.

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I would have no problem with a movie like this existing if it at least attempted to demonstrate nuance, or an understandings of both sides. If the protagonist ends up deciding to be pro life, I may not agree with her choice but at least the movie attempted to draw connections from both sides of an argument and present the story as the extremely complex issue that it discusses.

Nope. As it is, this movie only exists to facilitate groupthink, and to preach to its crowd. If it was the other way around, I admit I would have a little less bias towards a movie that supports pro-choice but I would still take issue with a movie, even one that follows my beliefs, that doesn’t try to see both sides of the argument.

• Like 2

I really wonder if Unplanned will boxoffice-wise behave more like one of these debatable films in 2018, e.g. Fahrenheit 11/9 or more like Christian films (which are presales-heavy, no?).
If this movie behaves more like a political film than its OW could surprise because from Pulse and MT it has way higher numbers than these films which opened to 2-3M. It's at the moment at 5.4% at MT and at Pulse has sold more tickets than these "docus" had on Friday at this time and without hefty competition from other films like Us and Dumbo this weekend. But I guess it should rather be treated as a film for a Christian audience?
And will the R-Rating cause curiosity or be rather deterring?
One thing was interesting at Pulse: This film first (and also now) sold the most tickets in Southern California, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Florida. Later other southern states followed like Georgia, Virginia, Louisiana, then it improved in the Rust Belt states and only then in the Bible Belt states (as far as my geography is correct). But it also sells tickets on the east coast, in Oregon and Washington. That's why I wonder who will be the main target audience. Pulse was absolutely no indication.

And I also expect a rotten RT-score for sure ;) and the trailer is completely biased IMO. But, also emotional, no doubt. Something to talk about, may it be out of interest or because somebody strongly dislikes it.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 2

LOL, I love all the panties this movie is going to twist among the edgy, hip lefties.

I'm pro choice, by the way. I'm just licking my chops at the double standards. If a pro-trans movie were to come out and I said "Fuck this trash movie" do you think that would go over well?

I mean, does a pro LIFE movie really justify the reactions from you folks?

• Knock It Off 5

Just now, JB33 said:

LOL, I love all the panties this movie is going to twist among the edgy, hip lefties.

I'm pro choice, by the way. I'm just licking my chops at the double standards. If a pro-trans movie were to come out and I said "Fuck this trash movie" do you think that would go over well?

I mean, does a pro LIFE movie really justify the reactions from you folks?

Me walking into this place, knowing damn well what you were gonna say

SophisticatedPleasedArchaeocete-size_res

• Like 2

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Me walking into this place, knowing damn well what you were gonna say

SophisticatedPleasedArchaeocete-size_res

Believe me, the feeling is mutual. You lefties are all the same. The double standard is disgusting.

• Knock It Off 3