SLAM!

Unplanned | March 29th, 2019 | Pure Flix | a film about Abby Johnson and her experiences in Planned Parenthood | trailer on pg. 2

32 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Progressists probably think of themselves as non-religious.

How cute.

lmao I'm pro life and aligned to neither party. Both sides are cults granted team maga reminds me of those who support supreme leader Kim Jong Un.

9 hours ago, DAJK said:

IM as much against the movie as the rest of you, but I do think we should stick to discussing what is wrong with the movie rather than what is wrong with the people who share the movie’s views. Labeling is dangerous and does lead to good people saying dumb things, case in point my roommates this past december after we watched WYBMN and they said how Mr. rogers was a total hypocritical liar, since anyone born or raised Christian would NOT share his kind-hearted views on the world, and so he must have just been lying to manipulate the networks.

See, labeling everyone into an “us” and “them” is a really slippery slope, which is why I do hope the discussion in this thread moves back to the movie itself and it’s mistreatment of the subject matter.

Amen! I would say I am more left leaning but I have to be honest the thing I hated about most people on the left is they act like they have halos over their head and are always virtue signalling. The right can have some beliefs I stand against but most of them just seem to have those beliefs and not try to police the other side.

I guess I would say I am a conservative left. I am also pro choice but I have nothing against others belief that being pregnant is a sacred special thing and that you should take responsibility if you are able. It's a valid viewpoint.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Amen! I would say I am more left leaning but I have to be honest the thing I hated about most people on the left is they act like they have halos over their head and are always virtue signalling. The right can have some beliefs I stand against but most of them just seem to have those beliefs and not try to police the other side.

I guess I would say I am a conservative left. I am also pro choice but I have nothing against others belief that being pregnant is a sacred special thing and that you should take responsibility if you are able. It's a valid viewpoint.

I think extremes on both sides try to police the other side. But the key word is extremes, as I would also identify as liberal or “left” as would many people in my social circles, but pretty much none of us participate in any sort of policing, as do 99.99% of everyone else. It’s just a vocal minority really, and you can choose to listen to that or you can choose to ignore it.

That out of the way, I’m shocked this isn’t getting panned by critics.

54 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I think extremes on both sides try to police the other side. But the key word is extremes, as I would also identify as liberal or “left” as would many people in my social circles, but pretty much none of us participate in any sort of policing, as do 99.99% of everyone else. It’s just a vocal minority really, and you can choose to listen to that or you can choose to ignore it.

That out of the way, I’m shocked this isn’t getting panned by critics.

If you look at where the positive reviews are coming from, it makes sense with only 12 reviews-

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/unplanned/reviews/?sort=fresh

• Like 1

I think people and politicians should try to find ways to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies instead of debating whether abortion should be legal or not. Instead of being an anti-abortion film, the film should have been about planned Parenthood and how the number of abortions could decrease with the help of planned parenthood. But everyone wants to solve this problem the easy way.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

Those who all are pro-life seem to be anti-contraceptive as well.

Idiots are yes. They who say condoms are murder blah blah blah bullcrap. I'm not only in favor of contraceptives, they should be outright free.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 10:37 PM, DAJK said:

I would have no problem with a movie like this existing if it at least attempted to demonstrate nuance, or an understandings of both sides. If the protagonist ends up deciding to be pro life, I may not agree with her choice but at least the movie attempted to draw connections from both sides of an argument and present the story as the extremely complex issue that it discusses.

Nope. As it is, this movie only exists to facilitate groupthink, and to preach to its crowd. If it was the other way around, I admit I would have a little less bias towards a movie that supports pro-choice but I would still take issue with a movie, even one that follows my beliefs, that doesn’t try to see both sides of the argument.

On 3/29/2019 at 1:26 AM, JB33 said:

LOL, I love all the panties this movie is going to twist among the edgy, hip lefties.

I'm pro choice, by the way. I'm just licking my chops at the double standards. If a pro-trans movie were to come out and I said "Fuck this trash movie" do you think that would go over well?

I mean, does a pro LIFE movie really justify the reactions from you folks?

The problem I often feel with post like that is, you came in without bothering to even read the same page you entered with our post, missed the real reasoned post of DAJK a few posts above yours, and started to spew about only assumed reactions. When people then react not happy, its bcs they are left-trash or whatever, no reason on your side. 

Yes, later you clarified... but why not start balanced??

General:

Personally I am pro-choice, but think it should be done more like in Europe (not sure if what I read about details from the US counts for all states) = time limit based on science (a big no to that heart-beat emotional campaign), exception the mother is in danger to die.

But I also think that everyone who tries to take away choice, who hinders people to inform themselves in a balanced way, or to get access to doctors, also the things to avoid pregnancy (forgot the term) and tries to kill or reduce education in school early on.... should have to pay for the upbringing of every child till adulthood without having a say into how the child gets raised.

And to have to give back every weapon he/she owns.

If its a government, an organisation a church,... they should have to pay too, in my opinion even partly out of their private assets.

Plus the society has to strongly work on viewing 'stallion' males not as something positive, and at the same time females who dare to fall for those as something negative and so on.

• Like 2

Since Pulse is still broken, the debate here is interesting and I guess otherwise nobody will understand why I noticed this film I will say my stance too.

Personally I'm against abortions. With the exception in three cases: If the life of the mother is in danger, the child would be extremely disabled (and I mean extremely, sadly in Germany estimated only 10%(!) of children e.g. with Down-Syndrom are born. That's an estimated number but I read it in several sources and newspapers) and if the girl/woman had no free will (e.g. in case of rape).
Of course they're several grey zones, e.g. when a (very) young girl doesn't know what to do and fears punishment from her family. I also know that I'm talking from a rather rich country (when it comes to states/tax-funded help) where money is no real problem. Still, that's only money.

I don't want to attack anyone here, this is just my opinion.
To me it's on the one hand a few months of pregnancy of a person who is responsible for the situation and on the other hand the loss of the whole life of someone completely innocent (who did not have any choice, in contrast to the girl/woman who had the choice what she does). Maybe some will bring up the argument that the foetus is no human being already. But it will become one very soon if you just let nature take its course and we all know what these then-children would decide. I learned that in former times (don't remember exactly when) babies counted only as human beings when they reached the age of 6 months. That was to prevent that the parents are too sad in case of lethal illness. Imagine that now. To me it seems arbitrary to look at the watch when a foetus, or new born in the mentioned case, becomes a human being. I know that deadline (in Germany three months) is mainly established in our times to prevent that desperate women try to „solve“ the „problem“ on their own. IMO then it's up to us (not only organisations) to change that she feels desperate, nobody should be ashamed of a situation that can - as we all know - occur or think to have no other possibility were in fact they exist.
And I think some people see pro-choice in a way too positive light when it comes to the pregnant women. They have to live with their heavy decision for the rest of their lifes, alone. Very alone. And if (if) the day comes where you say it was the wrong decision it won't be a nice day. Can be caused through the own kids in later years or whatever. Non-participant persons can easily say „I'm pro-choice“ but these women have to get through it for the following decades. Reports and surveys show that many fight with their decision for years or even their whole life. And I guess no woman will ever forget that last day in the abortion center (both outside and inside).
But if a woman gets the baby she at least knows that it will very probably come into a loving family and later she maybe can still have a form of contact if she wants (I don't know how this is handled in the USA). That's also absolutely no easy situation, knowing that your child lives somewhere else, has new parents, I understand that. Life will either way never be the same again. But you never know what will happen and in opposite to the abortion all chances are maintained. And there're also cases where girls planned that their babies will be adopted and then loved them too much and decided to keep them. They would never have known in the case of an abortion.
So for the sake of the unborns and also the women I would suggest that nothing is done which is unchangable and can ruin both lifes.

In Germany 10x as many couples want to adopt a child than children (better said babies, but also „older“ children are highly convented) exist to be adopted. I don't demand that pregnant women care for their unplanned children. They would still have a good life.
And finally, I really would never say that a girl or woman is to blame if she decides that the baby should be adopted. She acted fine IMO in a very difficult situation and everything else is up to the future.
PS: terrestrial also mentioned some issues which are absolutely needed IMO and common practice in Europe, e.g access to contraception, enlightenment in school or/and from parents early enough (I had these lessons in school when I was 12 or 13), cost-free consultings for pregnant women etc...

Edited by el sid
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, el sid said:

They would still have a good life.

https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/jugendamt-pflege-und-heimkinder-muessen-zahlen/-/id=396/did=13661362/nid=396/1xbqfbw/index.html

no chance to build up an own household for a way too long time.

There is still a lot to do. Everywhere.

• Like 1

Apologies for not already knowing this but, is there a cap on when an abortion is allowed? Like, can a woman go in to a hospital, already in labor, and decide to abort then? If it’s a case like that I don’t think they should have the abortion, but I don’t know what the rules are

28 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Apologies for not already knowing this but, is there a cap on when an abortion is allowed? Like, can a woman go in to a hospital, already in labor, and decide to abort then? If it’s a case like that I don’t think they should have the abortion, but I don’t know what the rules are

Depends where. Even within Europe the limits vary

Example the life of the mother is endangered there are countries with no limit, others say 20-26 weeks.

Some have also physical or mental health of the mother as a possibility

Known / sure disability of the foetus varies too, if allowed mostly up to week 24, in some countries no limit

Social/financial reasons (limits, too long to quote) can be a reason in some countries, mostly up to 24 weeks, with 3 or so longer. It is even in one (very poor) country only 1 of 2 reasons it is allowed.

Rape or incest in some countries no reason to allow, in others 12 to 22 weeks, only 1 country here has no limit for that case.

In the countries it is allowed for the mother to 'take a choice', 12 up to 14 weeks

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Sorry for random banned but movie is screening in Canada now. Cineplex biggest theatre chain catching flack for it 

I don’t agree with movie but this is ridiculous

The other major chain in Canada (Landmark Cinemas) is showing it as well but I have seen no major flack on them.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 8:51 PM, Verrows said:

If that were true they would not actively push to make laws to police and circumscribe the other side.  It's not enough to be anti abortion, or anti Gay, or anti Trans etc - they want to make laws to take away the choices and rights of others in terms of marriage, adoption, medical choices, housing, jobs, military service etc.

[it's old but the topic popped up again so...]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1