Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (1/25-1/27): Weekend Estimates: Glass 19M l Upside 12.2M l Aquaman 7.3M l Kid WWB King 7.2M l Spider-Verse: 5.5M l Green Book 5.2M l Serenity 4.8M

I’m surprised at how good Escape Room did. I thought the movie was a bore. Took itself way too seriously and became super predictable about 10 min in. The characters were as boring as the plot. 

I was excepting a fun romp silly B movie but I got a B movie that forget that it was B movie. The final scene wh the plane  was awesome tho’ I have to say.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Dan Murrell's like the only decent one in a wave of jeremy jahns'/moviebobs/schmoes/etc;

That is a very low bar - and I still don't agree with your description of him as being in any way decent. I absolutely hate them all.

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

I thought What Men Want would be a big hit a while ago but I dunno, the marketing campaign has been rather quiet. Should make a solid $60M at least.

I think it’ll still do well too, but Little, also for Taraji, has a much funnier trailer. I think that’ll be a big hit. 

5 hours ago, gravestonedt said:

Fighting With My Family

That comes out in a few weeks here in the UK and the trailer has been playing before every single film recently. 

5 minutes ago, gravestonedt said:

does anyone here picture a world in which Dumbo and Aladdin do not open to 60 and 80 million?

Aladdin is bombsville, but Dumbo will break out 😕

Disney live action remakes will outlive us all. 

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

That is a very low bar - and I still don't agree with your description of him as being in any way decent. I absolutely hate them all.

Have you taken the time to actually hear Murrell's insight? He's in no way like all those others anyway, he's actually a real film critic and not a geek geeking out, That just feels like generalization for the sake of it.

(And aren't we all film geeks anyway? I honestly still don't get the hate bone some of y'all have with a bunch of these YouTube people, but whatever.)

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Not saying Alita will be a monster or anything, but...that really means nothing.

It kind of does. BOP usually gets the opening weekend almost right even if they fuck up the final grosses. If anything the opening weekend for blockbusters ends up lower than their tracking (like the December releases). I would say their legs might be too low (unless the movie is ass). I'll give it the best legs of a February action blockbuster and say it makes around 50-60 mil maximum with that opening.

13 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Have you taken the time to actually hear Murrell's insight? He's in no way like all those others anyway, he's actually a real film critic and not a geek geeking out, That just feels like generalization for the sake of it.

(And aren't we all film geeks anyway? I honestly still don't get the hate bone some of y'all have with a bunch of these YouTube people, but whatever.)

Murrell’s one of the only people in that space who actually acts like a fully developed adult, especially compared to cringe inducing manbabies like jeremy jahns, moviebob or grace randolph

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TMP said:

Murrell’s one of the only people in that space who actually acts like a fully developed adult, especially compared to cringe inducing manbabies like jeremy jahns, moviebob or grace randolph

I agree. And more importantly, he doesn't hold back from saying whatever he wants to say about whichever movie. Him + Roth is probably my favorite pair of YouTube reviewers and I find their demeanour freshly different from the others. Not to say I agree with them all the time, but they provide real insight, a real breakdown of the storytelling and technical approach that never gets too sensible or too jaded, and they have a lot of great recommendations as well. And also, they are the only YouTube movie people who understand A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G about box office. Charting With Dan is easily the best box office show on YT that I know of, period.

And about said others, well, I don't mind most of them that much anyway. I'm actually sometimes more entertained by larger than life personalities than the clichéd, boring ass demeanour of typical movie reviewers. Hell, to an extent, I envy their manbabyness: at least they get to live life in a fun way, channeling their inner children and making a living out of enjoying stuff they've loved all their life. Appreciating art doesn't mean we all have to act like the critic from Ratatouille. My problem comes from when we hear the same people say the same things about the same franchises without variation over and over again. or when the desire to bait or not bait fanboys overshadows honest opinions with reason and subjectivity (Campea and Collider being kind of not bait examples, while Randolph is the opposite). And yeah, sometimes they're too cringey and dumb even for my senses.

• Like 2

Anther voice to say that Dan Murrell and Roth Cornet are comfortably the best talking heads who produce scheduled programming of that nature online. While disagreeing sometimes over individual movies, I don't see how anyone could throw allegations of baiting/sensationalism or a lack of perspective in their work, and their analysis is usually presented from the right places.

As for this weekend, Spider-Verse looks like it's going to have another great hold. But I think the question of the week is how well Green Book's expansion is going to go. 

• Like 1