Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (1/25-1/27): Weekend Estimates: Glass 19M l Upside 12.2M l Aquaman 7.3M l Kid WWB King 7.2M l Spider-Verse: 5.5M l Green Book 5.2M l Serenity 4.8M

1 hour ago, Spagspiria said:

I got it with The Favourite of all movies, too. Did Fox really have nothing else to attach? 

Maybe an X-Men movie? How many finished X-Men films do they have?

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We're in for a drought between now and Captain Marvel. I doubt anything besides the two animated sequels is gonna cross $70M.

What Men Want if it happens to be great might barely make it, although it'll probably do 55-65.

It should do 69M for title synergy tho.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm less excited about the new wide releases this weekend, and I'm more excited about the limited opening of Never Look Away. The film managed to get not one, but two Oscar nominations. One in Foreign, which is already iffy to begin with because of strong competition, but also one in cinematography, too. Did you know; the film's cinematographer has had a fruitful career, and he's been nominated for Cinematography several times without a win; one of his nominations was actually Passion of the Christ! So it'll definitely be cool to see how the hype of the two Oscar nominations will affect the release of the film.

Glass should be hitting 100M regardless of underperforming days the next month.  The 100M landing platform for Glass has really good probability.  

I'm predicting Alita w/ 25/100, it will need strong weekdays though.  Can everything else overperform around Alita?  Happy Death Day 2U and Isn't It Romantic open next to Alita and Fighting With My Family (Dwayne Johnson) has not announced a release strategy yet.  2nd weekends of Lego Movie, What Men Want, Cold Pursuit and The Prodigy could gross 40-60M combined.

Edited by gravestonedt

50 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm pretty sure the most exciting part about this weekend is Serenity's CinemaScore grade, which I'll be shocked if it's higher than a D.

I don't understand how can any human agree to sign to such crazy and absurd project. Didn't they read the script? How could they have thought it was ok? lol

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm pretty sure the most exciting part about this weekend is Serenity's CinemaScore grade, which I'll be shocked if it's higher than a D.

lc9fw7blgpc21.jpg

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Astonished 1

Glass is fantastic.

Dan Murrell from Screen Junkies said it best, too many critics are confusing subjective criticism with objective criticism.

People complain about how it wasn’t the kind of movie they were expecting but Shyamalan had no interest in making that movie.

And I don’t think he ever indicated that it would be that kind of movie in the first place.

• Thanks 1