Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

4.65 for Inception with far more divisive critical reception. I just think it’s clear the general audience did not love Dunkirk like the critics did. 

It was also 7 years from Dunkirk's release, at a time when movies aren't as frontloaded as they are now.

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

4.65 for Inception with far more divisive critical reception. I just think it’s clear the general audience did not love Dunkirk like the critics did. 

Inception is a pretty extreme outlier in general, legs wise. Expecting a Nolan film to have to live up to this standard is pretty unrealistic, but I don't also think it was 'far more divisive' critically. Sure, the audience didn't love Dunkirk like the critics necessarily did, but these are still legs that the vast majority of blockbusters would kill for. 

Edited by MrPink

Just now, titanic2187 said:

Why you have to ignore the 1.7m Oscar re-release gross?

If Get out oscar re-release can be rolled into its original run , I don't see why not for Dunkirk

Because I just went to box office mojo all classed the movie by opening weekend and used the total on that page.

In more general imagine if Dunkirk get against a release this year and we compare to other movies legs to see how it was received when it played in theater, that would be logic to just count the first release.

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Inception is a pretty extreme outlier in general, legs wise. Expecting every Nolan film to have legs like this is simply unrealistic, but I don't also think it was 'far more divisive' critically. Sure, the audience didn't love Dunkirk like the critics necessarily did, but these are still legs that the vast majority of blockbusters would kill for. 

You don’t think Inception had a much more divisive response from critics? Take a look at the low end reviews for both films on Metacritic. Inception has 8 reviews at 50 or lower including 5 of them at 40 or lower. Only 1 review below 60 on Dunkirk. 

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

You don’t think Inception had a much more divisive response from critics? Take a look at the low end reviews for both films on Metacritic. Inception has 8 reviews at 50 or lower including 5 of them at 40 or lower. Only 1 review below 60 on Dunkirk. 

Depends by which metric you refer to. On Rotten Tomatoes, I don't consider an 87% and some 8.1/10 average versus a 92% and 8.7 to be significantly more divisive. If you want to refer to Top Critics (which tend to align with Metacritic's pool of reviewers), maybe.

In the end, my broad reading is Inception had strong reviews for the most part, but it wasn't as passionate as Dunkirk. I don't think it's that critics  liked Inception nearly as much as Dunkirk, but calling it more divisive would imply it didn't get overall strong reviews overall in the first place. The multiplier didn't appear out of nowhere but these things don't just correlate linearly either obviously.

Edited by MrPink

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Depends by which metric you refer to. On Rotten Tomatoes, I don't consider an 87% and some 8.1/10 average versus a 92% and 8.7 to be significantly more divisive. If you want to refer to Top Critics, maybe.

In the end, my broad reading is Inception had strong reviews for the most part, but it wasn't as passionate as Dunkirk. 

And it was the exact opposite with the general audience. Inception had insane WOM with the general audience. Dunkirk had very good WOM with general audience, but nowhere close to the critical reception in relative terms. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

And it was the exact opposite with the general audience. Inception had insane WOM with the general audience. Dunkirk had very good WOM with general audience, but nowhere close to what the critical reception in relative terms. 

Yes, we agree there. I was merely objecting to "not that great legs" in the initial statement (being extremely pedantic with the semantics here) 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

And it was the exact opposite with the general audience. Inception had insane WOM with the general audience. Dunkirk had very good WOM with general audience, but nowhere close to what the critical reception in relative terms. 

I remember when i saw Dunkirk with a fellow movie fanatic we came to the conclusion that more than liking the film wie appreciated it.

• Like 1

I did really like dunkirk, don't think it realy a 'movie' in the sense that it's not really following a person or group on a journey. More like living through a big event in history so it feels kind of off compared to what you expect when going to a hollywood movie.

That said I did really like the expirience and loved the emercive feel

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

BBC News has a 4/5 review as a headline. Some nice marketing given it's one of the most visited sites in the UK. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53862695

Now this is a good review. He likes the movie but he also highlights it's flaws. His review is clear not like indiewire  which tries to beat complicated and unnecessary wording over my head.

Take note I'm not saying indiewire review is bad due to being negative towards tenet but I just don't like the wording.

Gotta say, all the 'I had no idea what was going on' blurbs make me rather excited. My favourite part of Inception was the first 15 minutes when I was totally lost. If WB wanted a repeat viewing film for the corona summer it sounds like they got it.

Edited by Hatebox

14 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Gotta say, all the 'I had no idea what was going on' blurbs make me rather excited. My favourite part of Inception was the first 15 minutes when I was totally lost. If WB wanted a repeat viewing film for the corona summer it sounds like they got it.

That only works if the movie in general is a good watch and the ending needs to pack a strong punch, like the spinning top for Inception. Having said that, I think this movie is pretty doomed at the box office regardless of repeat viewings. There are too many people out there like myself who won't be going to the movie theater anytime soon. 

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That only works if the movie in general is a good watch and the ending needs to pack a strong punch, like the spinning top for Inception. Having said that, I think this movie is pretty doomed at the box office regardless of repeat viewings. There are too many people out there like myself who won't be going to the movie theater anytime soon. 

Surely even the people willing to go once will think twice about risking their health for a repeat viewing. I really wouldn’t expect repeat viewing to carry this film at all.

• Like 1