Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

New Mutants isn't gonna open to more just because it has drive ins lol. I really don't see Tenet opening to less than New Mutants.

I'm saying New Mutants might open higher because it will get the drive-ins in CA and NY. Tenet will not release in drive-ins in those states. If I want to see Tenet, I will literally have to drive 5 hours to Vegas and 5 hours back. I see almost no one doing that. Unhinged's highest grossing locations were from drive-ins, it's highest grossing location was a drive-in in Los Angeles. Trust me, not allowing Tenet in the major markets at all will impact its opening.

Rough math-wise, the impact this would have on OW would be upwards of about 2 million or so assuming it's completely sold at capacity and that the majority of these theaters charge on a per-person basis.  If we said generously, some 100 drive-ins are affected by this, with say $8 per ticket with 3 people on average per car, 250 car capacity, that's $600,000 per night. Drive-ins presumably wouldn't be part of Tenet early access screenings, so that's about 2.4 million over the first 4 days of actual wide release.

That's sizable, I'd imagine over 10% of the opening week including previews, though I can't imagine this would be nearly enough of impact to somehow put Tenet near the range of New Mutants' opening.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, antovolk said:

The spoilers justification WB is using here is fucking hilarious, this is all to do with indoor theaters in NY or CA being no doubt furious at driveins getting weeks if not months head start on the film.

Like with every other distribution decision made here, the internet thinks Nolan made this decision (a lot of people for some reason thinks that Nolan literally controls WB) when it's clearly a decision made by the corporations to maximise their revenue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, antovolk said:

The spoilers justification WB is using here is fucking hilarious, this is all to do with indoor theaters in NY or CA being no doubt furious at driveins getting weeks if not months head start on the film.

Yeah, it is such an insult of folks intelligence that I have to think it's gonna blowback on them.

The last time a movie's plot was successfully kept quiet for more than a weekend or so from folks who hadn't seen it was The Crying Game.  And, last time I checked, it isn't 1992 anymore.

I do note that the Variety piece mentioned that this situation could change between now and release.  Maybe the folks over at WB underestimated the level of money that drive-ins could bring.  Maybe Unhinged was a special case.  But if it isn't, cutting off the Top Five sources of box office for a film that is already behind the eight ball when it comes to locations sounds like a... less than wise move.

But I'm not a hot shot entertainment executive, so what do I know?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yeah, it is such an insult of folks intelligence that I have to think it's gonna blowback on them.

The last time a movie's plot was successfully kept quiet for more than a weekend or so from folks who hadn't seen it was The Crying Game.  And, last time I checked, it isn't 1992 anymore.

I do note that the Variety piece mentioned that this situation could change between now and release.  Maybe the folks over at WB underestimated the level of money that drive-ins could bring.  Maybe Unhinged was a special case.  But if it isn't, cutting off the Top Five sources of box office for a film that is already behind the eight ball when it comes to locations sounds like a... less than wise move.

But I'm not a hot shot entertainment executive, so what do I know?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The summary is already on Wikipedia. The spoilers excuse doesn't hold up to scrutiny at all.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

The summary is already on Wikipedia. The spoilers excuse doesn't hold up to scrutiny at all.

I was talking more about casual discussion in the entertainment press where someone will get casually spoiled as opposed to reading a Wikipedia article on the movie, but that works too.

And the thing is, the "exhibitors currently closed down" doesn't make a lick of sense either.  I don't doubt they're pissed off.  

But by the time they're actually allowed to open, who thinks TENET will actually be a money maker for them?  Whenever theaters in NY/CA open, there will be a major blockbuster (or two!) on the immediate horizon, if not that weekend.  TENET would be able to get some dineros from die-hard Nolan fans, but I have to think most folks would be queueing up for whatever is the Big Release that weekend.

Just a WTF all the way around.

If theaters in NY/CA looked to open in the very near future, okay maybe.  But I haven't heard much on the front happening at all. 

Just a dumb move that my pooh-sized brain can't figure out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Like with every other distribution decision made here, the internet thinks Nolan made this decision (a lot of people for some reason thinks that Nolan literally controls WB) when it's clearly a decision made by the corporations to maximise their revenue.

I don't think it's even a revenue maximisation thing - you have a captive audience in these states who'd see it at driveins in a heartbeat. This is all about politics and relationships with the hard tops.

• Like 2

Seems like theaters here are gonna remain closed until we get a vaccine distributed. So mid to late 2021 I guess.

i was going to see Tenet on a camrip but it sounds like it’s not worth it to see it early.  The whole thing sounds like a lesser Dunkirk. So I’ll wait for the digital release in January or w/e.

20 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Seems like theaters here are gonna remain closed until we get a vaccine distributed. So mid to late 2021 I guess.

i was going to see Tenet on a camrip but it sounds like it’s not worth it to see it early.  The whole thing sounds like a lesser Dunkirk.

I mean... whether it's good or bad it doesn't really sound anything like Dunkirk.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I heard it doesn’t have any characters. Which sounds like Dunkirk the most of Nolan’s other films.

Ah. Well I would definitely take issue with the claim that Dunkirk doesn't have any characters, but as this isn't the Dunkirk review thread I'll leave it there. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Have booked to see Tenet a 2nd time this Thursday and I’m sure I’ll change my opinion after that, but for the moment I’d say:

1. The Prestige

2. Inception

3. Tenet

4. Memento

5. The Dark Knight 

6. Dunkirk

7. Interstellar

8. Batman Begins

9. The Dark Knight Rises

10. Insomnia 

The sound mixing being genuinely terrible I’ve forgiven but if it bugs me again I might move Tenet down a bit, we’ll see. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Screwed up sound has been the most consistent aspect of every Nolan movie the last 10 years. 

Sometimes I feel like I’m the only person who’s never had a problem with the sound in his movies. Even Interstellar didn’t give me any issues. 

3 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Sometimes I feel like I’m the only person who’s never had a problem with the sound in his movies. Even Interstellar didn’t give me any issues. 

It can depend on the auditorium as well. I experienced that with Interstellar, Dunkirk, and Inception. Huge difference in ability to pick up dialogue and such based on different auditoriums. 

Midland, TX Regal - Terrible sound quality (1 regular screen for Inception, LieMAX screen for Dunkirk/Interstellar)

Midland, TX Cinergy - Great sound quality on Interstellar (Dolby Atmos screen)

Houston, TX Edwards Marquee - Great sound quality on Inception (70mm IMAX)

Austin, TX Bullock Museum - Great sound quality on Dunkirk (Dual Laser IMAX)

15 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It can depend on the auditorium as well. I experienced that with Interstellar, Dunkirk, and Inception. Huge difference in ability to pick up dialogue and such based on different auditoriums. 

Midland, TX Regal - Terrible sound quality (1 regular screen for Inception, LieMAX screen for Dunkirk/Interstellar)

Midland, TX Cinergy - Great sound quality on Interstellar (Dolby Atmos screen)

Houston, TX Edwards Marquee - Great sound quality on Inception (70mm IMAX)

Austin, TX Bullock Museum - Great sound quality on Dunkirk (Dual Laser IMAX)

I suppose it could be due to the fact that I’ve only seen his latest films on an IMAX screen, which definitely has superior sound compared to a regular screen. I’m guessing it’s an issue with the regular 5.1/7.1 mixes combined with substandard speaker set ups in multiplexes (I know from experience how certain chains will just swap the amps over when one blows, meaning you lose a channel).

• Like 1