Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

@redfirebird2008

Just got an e-mail that the IMAX at Bullock Museum will be reopening on September 3rd for limited screenings.

Yeah, it looked like they were gonna be closed. Very surprised they decided to open. Since it is government-owned, I am guessing they will have pretty strict limits on social distancing. Website says 25% capacity. 

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah, it looked like they were gonna be closed. Very surprised they decided to open. Since it is government-owned, I am guessing they will have pretty strict limits on social distancing. Website says 25% capacity. 

I was hoping the same thing would happen to my IMAX at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. Considering how big the auditorium is (comparable to Bullock) and how many seats there are, plus they have limited concessions and they're government funded (less incentive to need to sell concessions), I thought it might be comparatively safer than a normal theater. But no such luck in my area.

Edited by MrPink

15 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I was hoping the same thing would happen to my IMAX at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. Considering how big the auditorium is (comparable to Bullock) and how many seats there are, plus they have limited concessions and they're government funded (less incentive to need to sell concessions), I thought it might be comparatively safer than a normal theater. But no such luck in my area.

Probably for the best to remove temptation for you. 

yep, i was the only person in my screening. which was quite nice.

movie is fine. the action is cool for sure but a lot of it kinda feels like Nolan on autopilot. idk, what another poster said is right there's an extra oomph missing here that's present in his best work.

• Like 2

Right... some thoughts, if anyone cares.

Firstly, quite strange being back in the cinema after so long, but nice. Mask was fine, no issues, most people wore them throughout, no coughing through the whole movie, lol.

Now, as for the film itself...

Hmm... It is definitely one of Nolan's weakest. It's missing an instant classic scene like the Inception hallway fight, it's far more messy than that movie, not too mention Dunkirk, which is Nolan being economical and precise, and it's missing the human emotion and characters that Interstellar had. For all its faults, Interstellar did have character moments and personal drama - Dunkirk could afford to miss that due to its very tight nature and extreme focus on the immersive story-telling. Tenet is basically hitting none of that.

HOWEVER... It definitely shows Nolan being more comfortable with action. The third act, though it can be confusing, shows good skill in terms of actually pulling it everything together. It's a narrative mess at times, but technically, I think he's well in control. While it is missing a truly WOW scene, I believe all the action is at a good level, though. I suppose consistent thrills and tension goes a long way towards making up for any missing truly mind-blowing sequence.

JDW and RPatz had good chemistry and it was nice to see a Nolan protagonist with a bit more humor to him. Still, the lack of depth does hurt the characters - and while you can gloss over it by acknowledging the fact that they *ARE* actors in this war, be it protagonists or antagonists, it doesn't change the fact that they are paper thin and there's only so many times Nolan can get away with it (again, worked for Dunkirk, but more was needed here). There was a good hint there at the end, but... yeah, definitely lacking. Both JDW and RPatz show charisma, they just needed more opportunity to express that

The family drama at the center of it was not too bad, I thought, with some good acting and decent moments. I quite liked Brannagh and Debicki. 

Music was good, though I was hoping for something more memorable. I also don't think the editing was great in parts. The cross-cutting in the third act was good, but some scene transitions earlier on were way too abrupt, especially considering the ig changes in locations and the passage of time. Something smoother was needed I feel.

Also not sure if it was the audio set-up in my screening, but some of the dialogue was muffled, in a way that reminded me of Bane...

I think the most important takeaway for me is this, though - when it ended, though I didn't feel the rush I had after Inception, it wasn't that far off. I think it's a very strong finish, which might go a long way towards inspiring good WOM. 

7/10 - but I can see it going up a bit upon a rewatch or two.

In terms of box office...Ouch. Ya, it would need SPECTACULAR WOM to not be a complete disaster, and while I think it will have fairly positive reactions, I don't see it being touted as a must-see, conversation-driving movie. Aside from premium format, I don't think it will do much (my local seemed quite dead in 2D, even though the IMAX screening was close to capacity). So, yes, I expect this will be a massive black hole, that will go down as a huge mis-calculation on WB's part, though I think it will be appreciated by most people who see it, even if it's on VOD/streaming in a few months.

• Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1