Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

Oh and here's basically confirmation of what we've all been suspecting

Warner Bros. executives acknowledge they will release the film only if the country’s two largest markets, New York and Los Angeles, are fully open. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I wonder if China will allow Hollywood movies in July/August, isn't that usually their blackout month? where usually only play local films.  not to mention if they have some of the Chinese New Year movies that are awaiting release since February that might take priority

Think a big Hollywood release would be a good thing for their plan to attract audiences back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, antovolk said:

Again, based on other countries.

The problem at the core of this and people in general hoping for it to be delayed is the US and UK governments' lacking response to the virus.

"The country's reopening is premature, its government response unacceptably lax - and its cinemas simply unsafe, no matter how many temperature checks they perform at the door."

Shouldn’t that article be addressed to WB, and not Nolan?

15 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Shouldn’t that article be addressed to WB, and not Nolan?

Nolan's a person, WB is a faceless, soulless entity. I guess it's easier to write a theoretical letter to a human.

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

Nolan's a person, WB is a faceless, soulless entity. I guess it's easier to write a theoretical letter to a human.

Also quite obvious that Nolan is the deciding factor here as to why 1. this is still sticking to July, 2. this is the first major film out in cinemas rather than WW84 for instance and 3. why is WB even offering up a tentpole as an olive branch to theater owners as opposed to fleeing the summer like virtually everyone else save for Disney.

Edited by antovolk

45 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Think a big Hollywood release would be a good thing for their plan to attract audiences back. 

A big local release is more likely to attract audiences back (CNY release, Detective Chinatown 3, still hasn't been released there). I'm pretty sure Tenet won't release in China until late August.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

A big local release is more likely to attract audiences back (CNY release, Detective Chinatown 3, still hasn't been released there). I'm pretty sure Tenet won't release in China until late August.

Weren't they saying they were working with Hollywood studios to have some of their big franchises play before New movies do? They were discussing stuff like Potter and other Nolan movies from WB. If the Chinese authorities and WB do end up doing something like that, then maybe they think a new Hollywood release could add to the big locals and properly get things back in order.

It would probably not be a July release, sure, but then that would probably be best anyway - this isn't going to blow up on OW if it opens in July, but rather rely on legs and WOM. Give it a big three week presence in a few major markets, to build up hype for China and any other delayed markets. 

Of course, this is down to the movie being good/entertaining enough to sustain that world of mouth... 

There's a lot of "ifs" surrounding this movie's situation. 

2 hours ago, antovolk said:

Both Warner Bros. and Nolan declined to comment for this story. But those with knowledge of the plans describe how the studio is moving forward. The company has already conducted cast and filmmaker interviews for so-called “long-lead" journalists, monthly magazine writers, by Zoom. It also is preparing to drop a second trailer online in the coming weeks — one more trapping of a company preparing a major summer release.

The article briefly touches on it but I find it frustrating how the vast majority of these articles are centered around the business issue of releasing Tenet on July 17, rather than the human element of responsibility and safety. 

To me, I don't think whether Tenet is profitable or not should be the question. If you believe your business is at stake, then taking a loss for the sake of the future is something you might have to live with. That can mean taking a short term loss by releasing Tenet on its planned release date, or taking a short term loss by delaying it. But it's always going to come down to whether most people agree it's safe enough to go to the theaters, and that doesn't necessarily mean you get a profit in the process. 

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

The article briefly touches on it but I find it frustrating how the vast majority of these articles are centered around the business issue of releasing Tenet on July 17, rather than the human element of responsibility and safety. 

To me, I don't think whether Tenet is profitable or not should be the question. If you believe your business is at stake, then taking a loss for the sake of the future is something you might have to live with. That can mean taking a short term loss on Tenet, or taking a short term loss by delaying it. But it's always going to come down to whether most people agree it's safe enough to go to the theaters, and that doesn't necessarily mean you get a profit in the process. 

Fucking this.

I think if the Oxford vaccine is looking good when results come out in June, WB should move this to October. Even if they are unable to mass produce and can only give it to at risk workers, it would still massively decrease the transmission rate meaning that people would feel much safer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

It's going to flop anyway by pre-pandemic standards whenever it opens (not in July).

See the problem with this is that it's not falsifiable. Even if Tenet makes 800M, people can just say "oh well it woulda made 1.5B pre-pandemic"

44 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

are they really taking a loss by delaying it? doesn't this mean they're gonna have a better release date in 2021 or w/e?

For Tenet itself? Very minimal losses probably other than what marketing they've done. But studio losses in terms of having no product of significance for the remainder of the year most likely? Yeah there's going to be some losses. Certainly for the theater industry which studios still need.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

To me, I don't think whether Tenet is profitable or not should be the question. If you believe your business is at stake, then taking a loss for the sake of the future is something you might have to live with. That can mean taking a short term loss by releasing Tenet on its planned release date, or taking a short term loss by delaying it. But it's always going to come down to whether most people agree it's safe enough to go to the theaters, and that doesn't necessarily mean you get a profit in the process. 

The human element however is going to vary around the world, which means that the business element is still insanely important. For a lot of the United States (the centre of the universe), the situation is going to be a lot worse come July than it will be in a lot of other movie-going countries. Therefore it's up to the studio to make a business decision of whether to, for example, forego a US release (or limit it to certain areas of the United States that have recovered much better than others). 

@MrPink I think another thing that concerns the human element of re-opening theatres/other business is that what people are comfortable with is going to vary individually, probably forever. There are going to be people I guarantee that for the rest of their lives will think it's never again ok to go to a movie or a concert etc. Heck, there are still people that refuse to go on planes 20 years after 9/11. 

The only thing businesses can do is listen to health authorities. If the authorities say it's safe, that's who should be listened to, because there's always going to be idiots saying that "it's never ready" or "it was always ready".

• Like 2