Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

See the problem with this is that it's not falsifiable. Even if Tenet makes 800M, people can just say "oh well it woulda made 1.5B pre-pandemic"

But $800M wouldn't be a flop even by pre-pandemic standards. For Tenet, given the budget, the bar is more like below $500M.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The human element however is going to vary around the world, which means that the business element is still insanely important. For a lot of the United States (the centre of the universe), the situation is going to be a lot worse come July than it will be in a lot of other movie-going countries. Therefore it's up to the studio to make a business decision of whether to, for example, forego a US release (or limit it to certain areas of the United States that have recovered much better than others). 

Of course, the business element is incredibly important for studios, I just think the large majority of the discussion has been heavily lopsided in that aspect in regards to this specific film.

It sounds like the studio is already saying not even just the US vs rest of the world, but if LA/NY isn't ready, it's gong to be delayed. So it seems like their mind is made up there.

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

@MrPink I think another thing that concerns the human element of re-opening theatres/other business is that what people are comfortable with is going to vary individually, probably forever. There are going to be people I guarantee that for the rest of their lives will think it's never again ok to go to a movie or a concert etc. Heck, there are still people that refuse to go on planes 20 years after 9/11. 

The only thing businesses can do is listen to health authorities. If the authorities say it's safe, that's who should be listened to, because there's always going to be idiots saying that "it's never ready" or "it was always ready".

And this is certainly true, everybody has their own comfort factor, it just seems like right a lot of authorities are looking at reopening more out of concern for business reasons in the case of theaters rather than taking into account health concerns here in the States. And I'm worried that the businesses push come to shove will go through with it even if they have apprehension from health authorities who under some pressure could give an uneasy "OK"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

See the problem with this is that it's not falsifiable. Even if Tenet makes 800M, people can just say "oh well it woulda made 1.5B pre-pandemic"

There are so many unknowns right now that I think WB will take anything around $500 million for a mid-July release. They also need to release a helluva second trailer.

3 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Nolan needs to set up a Twitter account and go full Elon Musk. 

OPEN THE CINEMAS 

SET THE CINEMAS FREE

First he would need to learn how to use the internet

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Nolan needs to set up a Twitter account and go full Elon Musk. 

OPEN THE CINEMAS 

SET THE CINEMAS FREE

To go full Musk, Nolan would need to do a surprise release of Tenet in 4000+ US theaters and ask the FBI to arrest him.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Baby steps. 

1.Internet

2.Email

3.Twitter

Nolan should NEVER use Twitter. Don't let a smart man like that stoop that low. Twitter is the very depths of the Internet, the stuff the Internet scrapes off of its shoe after it thinks it stepped in horse shit.

• Thanks 1

Moderation 

There is a thread for discussing the actual pandemic. For detailed discussion please use it. Please note the stipulation about false information and conspiracy theories. 

There is actually some good information in the Coronavirus Thread. If you’re not sure about something or want to understand the subject better just ask and somebody will probably know the answer. (By somebody I mean @Jason)

This thread is to discuss the movie Tenet. 

Regards

BOT Staff

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, antovolk said:

Again, based on other countries.

The problem at the core of this and people in general hoping for it to be delayed is the US and UK governments' lacking response to the virus.

"The country's reopening is premature, its government response unacceptably lax - and its cinemas simply unsafe, no matter how many temperature checks they perform at the door."

what a jerk this guy is. 

7 hours ago, TLK said:

There are so many unknowns right now that I think WB will take anything around $500 million for a mid-July release. They also need to release a helluva second trailer.

Honestly, I think WB has zero expectations. They are taking a huge gamble. For all they know, the film could very well do just $300M WW or even less. And, honestly, no matter what, I think that's okay because of the circumstances. Sure, they at least want to break even, but no one really knows what's going to happen.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I totally agree with that open letter. I think some on here are wildly misjudging what the general cinema-going appetite will be like in a couple months. I'm usually at Nolan movies opening week, but if the UK's lockdown easing strategy pans out how I think it will then fuck that.

If they do stick with the release date then all I can hope is that I'm wrong and that the situation is far, far better by then - for every country.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, meridan said:

How exactly is a theater being open in October any different or better than it being open in July? The same social distancing and seating rules will apply either way. 

One could argue people will be more accepting of going to a cinema that far down the line when a 'new normal' has set in.

But the broader truth is much bleaker: any film released at any point this year is taking a risk.