Snake Eric

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

3 hours ago, excel1 said:

States and countries all over are reopening as we speak yet some think American movie theaters will remain shuttered in 2 months time ???

Exactly. Based on my social media, I swear some people want to pretend they're living in the Contagion movie because it's not as boring as normal life. They WANT to believe for whatever reason that we're all going to be cooped up in our homes for a long time to come. 

Fortunately, the reality is that everying is opening up and life can resume. Will things be exactly how they were? Of course not. This pandemic has been a life changing event, though not unprecedented and not even close to the Spanish Flu or Black Plague. We all did our jobs, distanced ourselves and wethered the storm. Now it's time to get back to it.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1
16 hours ago, JB33 said:

Exactly. Based on my social media, I swear some people want to pretend they're living in the Contagion movie because it's not as boring as normal life. They WANT to believe for whatever reason that we're all going to be cooped up in our homes for a long time to come. 

Fortunately, the reality is that everying is opening up and life can resume. Will things be exactly how they were? Of course not. This pandemic has been a life changing event, though not unprecedented and not even close to the Spanish Flu or Black Plague. We all did our jobs, distanced ourselves and wethered the storm. Now it's time to get back to it.

Again, it's not about whether theaters will be open, it's about whether WB thinks enough people will bother showing up worldwide to make the release date worth it. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

As for the Contagion comparison - well yeah, the whole world had to cripple its economy and citizens massively change their lifestyles for 3 months and counting just to stop hospitals from overflowing. Let's not be flippant about that. We're only looking at normality on the distant horizon because for a long time things weren't normal.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Again, it's not about whether theaters will be open, it's about whether WB thinks enough people will bother showing up worldwide to make the release date worth it. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

As for the Contagion comparison - well yeah, the whole world had to cripple its economy and citizens massively change their lifestyle for 3 months and counting just to stop hospitals from overflowing. Let's not be flippant about that. We're only looking at normality on the distant horizon because for a long time things weren't normal.

Nobody is criticizing what needed to be done to get to the point we are at. They're just noting a HUGE majority of people are ready to now GTFO

• Like 2
2 hours ago, excel1 said:

Nobody is criticizing what needed to be done to get to the point we are at. They're just noting a HUGE majority of people are ready to now GTFO

FALSE. You've got it backwards. A HUGE majority of people are ready to keep staying home for the most part. 

Example, a fresh poll and article posted 2 hours ago - https://www.crainsdetroit.com/coronavirus/poll-michigan-residents-no-rush-take-nonessential-activities

The poll, conducted by both landline and cellular telephone, asked residents to rate on a scale of 1 to 10 how comfortable they would be resuming normal activities. Respondents were generally comfortable with going to the grocery store, visiting a doctor's office or hospital, or gathering in small groups of about 10 people.

People were more split about going to smaller retail stores, attending religious services and resuming in-person education. Respondents were generally less likely to reengage in activities that attract larger crowds such as sit-down restaurants, going to shopping centers or attending a sporting event, movie theater or concert.

"I think it's pretty clear that what voters are saying is one, they support a gradual reopening," Glengariff Group pollster Richard Czuba said. "They are worried about a second wave of illness. And when we asked them ... if things opened up next week what they would do, there's no rush to go back to nonessential activities."

Another from today - https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/20/poll-americans-are-concerned-about-second-wave-of-infections/

About 8 in 10 Americans say that it’s essential to reopening for people to return to self-quarantine if they are exposed to the virus. Roughly 6 in 10 also say having widespread testing for the coronavirus in their area is essential to reestablishing public activities, along with requiring people to keep six feet apart in most places and to wear face masks when they’re near others outside their homes.

Nearly as telling as the public’s appetite for rigorous precaution: close to half say it is essential that a vaccine be available before public life resumes. Another third say that’s important, although not essential.

Taken together, the findings suggest that while some Americans are anxious to get back to business as usual, most don’t see the country returning anytime soon to what once was considered normal. Instead, Americans largely envision a protracted period of physical distancing, covered faces and intermittent quarantines ahead, perhaps until a vaccine is available.

I'm not saying theater's can't open. If they do, attendance should be very restricted to maintain social distancing, and the expected turnout needs to be assumed a small number. If Tenet holds to the mid July release it is going to lose money for WB. That's just the reality of a pandemic. It doesn't matter what the government restrictions are for the most part now, people simply don't want to be out in public like that.

8 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Well you do you, but this isn't a poll

So, tell me... is a cinema more like a beach, or a restaurant? You can put your head in the sand and believe that life is normal all you want, but that is not going to get buts in the seats at movies.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, excel1 said:

Out is an important variable here, theater is getting back inside in many ways.....

Beach, terrasse, camping will be more popular than theater I would imagine.

4 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Well you do you, but this isn't a poll

Still it show state pretty much gaining around 8-20% people back in just 8-10 days after opening, could easily be 50% in just a month and close to normal by early-mid july.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Out is an important variable here, theater is getting back inside in many ways.....

Beach, terrasse, camping will be more popular than theater I would imagine.

Still it show state pretty much gaining around 8-20% people back in just 8-10 days after opening, could easily be 50% in just a month and close to normal by early-mid july.

I agree completely with the observation about being outside. That's something many do want. Walking, parks, beaches, boating, etc. People want to enjoy the weather. This is widely held and can be done safely.

As far as the date range on the Open Table data, keep in mind that Texas opened restaurants on May 1st. So we've got almost three weeks of data there. I'm just the messenger, so don't shoot me. The data at this point indicates people are generally not interested in socializing indoors. Cinema is going  to be a tough sell, period.

1 minute ago, doublejack said:

As far as the date range on the Open Table data, keep in mind that Texas opened restaurants on May 1st. So we've got almost three weeks of data there. I'm just the messenger, so don't shoot me. The data at this point indicates people are generally not interested in socializing indoors. Cinema is going  to be a tough sell, period.

True but Texas restaurants are operating at 25% capacity at the moment, soon 50%. Actuals are not that far from the maximum -75%.

• Like 3

This movie is such a wrong foot to start off the Post-Apocalypse era on...

Because everyone will have their eyes glued on the OW, to see if the market can be saved - and then when this bombs, everybody in the industry will get suicidal...

Come next weekend it turns out that people just didn't care anymore about Nolan's antics - and the market and everything is just fine...

Minus the people that killed themselves the previous week... 😕 for nothing.

52 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

True but Texas restaurants are operating at 25% capacity at the moment, soon 50%. Actuals are not that far from the maximum -75%.

Yes, that's true. Texas is a state with a lot of people that... well, I'll just say they are not the type to be told what to do. Still, they haven't hit the 25% business mark, although they have gotten close. Georgia and Florida are further from max capacity. Florida is already at an allowed 50% capacity btw. They went from 25% max to 50% on Monday. They did not come all that close to capping out at 25%.

What will really be telling is the number of people eating out in Florida, Texas and Wisconsin over the next couple of weeks. Wisconsin in particular is key IMO. The early data there shows people are still largely staying home, consistent with other data points.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/05/20/wisconsin-reopening-decision-boosts-bars-many-people-still-quarantine/5231302002/

The data, gleaned from millions of cellphone signals, indicates an overall uptick in the number of residents leaving their homes in the hours and days after the order and a jump in restaurant and bar visits, an analysis by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and USA TODAY shows.

But the overall increase statewide was small and is consistent with a trend toward greater movement that started more than a month ago, according to the analysis.

The order was issued late on the afternoon of May 13. The data, which can track the movement of cellphones to specific businesses, did not show much of an increase that night.

In the days after the order, restaurants and bars experienced a change, the data shows. Before the court order, restaurants saw 44% of their usual traffic. It grew to 54% on the Friday after the order.

So we're seeing only a 10% increase in traffic going from take-out only restrictions to no restrictions at all. A slow, gradual increase in business, even if the trend holds, is not going to create the kind of environment Tenet will need to reach big BO numbers in July.

I hope this gets bumped, not because I dont want to see the movie, but because I have a club that relies on it getting bumped and after being crushed by my New Mutants club yet again I deserve some kind of win

tv spot too quickly edited, need to let the shots sink in, what is this, a mike bay movie ??