Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Excited for the trailer, but i still think it will move. Theaters are closed in the majority of the world

Yes. Now. But they're scheduled to be open in July. That's what the discussion has been about for the last dozen pages. They're scheduled to reopen - so, will enough do so and, if they do, will enough people go? This has been talked about over and over and over in the last few pages. At this point, we just have to wait and see.

The current plan as I understand it in the UK is that if new cases/deaths keep going down then cinemas will open early July with strict social distancing. It's hard to exaggerate how much that will limit capacity when you think of how big a 2 meter radius from every single cinema seat is, but I guess easing people back in gently is the goal.

44 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The current plan as I understand it in the UK is that if new cases/deaths keep going down then cinemas will open early July with strict social distancing. It's hard to exaggerate how much that will limit capacity when you think of how big a 2 meter radius from every single cinema seat is, but I guess easing people back in gently is the goal.

They might put up partitions that reduce the 2m distance.

I suppose the good thing is the fact that allocated seating is the standard, even the online booking systems are not hard to adapt. 

Gonna be interesting to see how a "sold out" seat map looks like. Bloody jigsaw puzzle. 😂

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

They might put up partitions that reduce the 2m distance.

I suppose the good thing is the fact that allocated seating is the standard, even the online booking systems are not hard to adapt. 

Gonna be interesting to see how a "sold out" seat map looks like. Bloody jigsaw puzzle. 😂

Getting people seated will be a nightmare. If someone who has pre-booked a seat in the middle of a row turns up later than someone sat towards the edge, they’ll have to break the two meter rule in order for the person sat in the middle to squeeze past and get seated. How exactly are they going to control this?

Operating with this level of social distancing is going to be crippling for all but the cinemas with the largest auditoriums, and even then, the bigger ones will be operating at a loss. A Curzon cinema near me has about 80 seats in their largest screen, with the two meter rule in effect they’ll probably be lucky to get 15 people per showing, the smallest screen has about 40, so less than 10 people are likely to be admitted.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Getting people seated will be a nightmare. If someone who has pre-booked a seat in the middle of a row turns up later than someone sat towards the edge, they’ll have to break the two meter rule in order for the person sat in the middle to squeeze past and get seated. How exactly are they going to control this?

Operating with this level of social distancing is going to be crippling for all but the cinemas with the largest auditoriums, and even then, the bigger ones will be operating at a loss. A Curzon cinema near me has about 80 seats in their largest screen, with the two meter rule in effect they’ll probably be lucky to get 15 people per showing, the smallest screen has about 40, so less than 10 people are likely to be admitted.

I think small, boutique-style cinemas - think Everyman - usually work on a far lower occupancy level in any case, and make a lot from associated services, such as proper food service. That will also hit them bad.

I do expect only the big multiplexes to be able to operate, yes.

In terms of enforcing distancing at entrance, while not easy, it's not impossible, and there are loads of examples to pull from.

You are already greatly increasing the time in-between showings to allow for proper cleaning. A reduced number of films playing for the rest of the year (i.e, either until a second wave hits, a vaccine is sorted - lol - or everyone just fucking gives up) will also help with this. You take a 2 hour movie, playing on 10 screens, it's fairly easy to stagger timings to allow for maximum cleaning time and seating. You don't have any two auditoriums next to each other playing the movie within a one hour window of each other, you cordon off a section to allow social distancing appropriate queuing and seat people as you would an aircraft, by seat number.

Slightly rejig the reservation system whereby you select a middle seat and are told to be at your screening 20 minutes before start. Closer to the aisle, 5 minutes before the start. Queue accordingly, and have PPE-wearing staff check the allocated timing as you enter the building. If too early, stand to the side, as you would outside a supermarket. Too late and you're refused entry.

Again, I'm not saying it's easy or that people will like it, but it's manageable. And if it's between that and just not opening doors at all until social distancing is eliminated... well, not much of a choice. They have to at least TRY to survive.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I think small, boutique-style cinemas - think Everyman - usually work on a far lower occupancy level in any case, and make a lot from associated services, such as proper food service. That will also hit them bad.

In terms of enforcing distancing at entrance, while not easy, it's not impossible, and there are loads of examples to pull from.

You are already greatly increasing the time in-between showings to allow for proper cleaning. A reduced number of films playing for the rest of the year (i.e, either until a second wave hits, a vaccine is sorted - lol - or everyone just fucking gives up) will also help with this. You take a 2 hour movie, playing on 10 screens, it's fairly easy to stagger timings to allow for maximum cleaning time and seating. You don't have any two auditoriums next to each other playing the movie within a one hour window of each other, you cordon off a section to allow social distancing appropriate queuing and seat people as you would an aircraft, by seat number.

Slightly rejig the reservation system whereby you select a middle seat and are told to be at your screening 20 minutes before start. Closer to the aisle, 5 minutes before the start. Queue accordingly, and have PPE-wearing staff check the allocated timing as you enter the building. If too early, stand to the side, as you would outside a supermarket. Too late and you're refused entry.

Again, I'm not saying it's easy or that people will like it, but it's manageable. And if it's between that and just not opening doors at all until social distancing is eliminated... well, not much of a choice. They have to at least TRY to survive.

but just because they can, should they? And - more importantly here imho- should studios (morally) be releasing big event films like this only in these still-risky cinemas, especially so early out the gate like TENET?

Edited by antovolk
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I agree, that sounds like the most likely scenario on how the bigger chains will handle it.

I feel sorry for the staff who are going to be on the receiving end of a lot of abuse from people who refuse to follow these new rules. Having worked in a cinema as an usher and supervisor, I’ve seen first hand how customers react to changes of those sort. When Cineworld introduced allocated seating it was an absolute shit show for months with people not sitting where they were supposed to. All it’ll take is one angry “Karen” type person to turn up demanding to be let in before their allocated entry time because their “kids are restless”, and your average usher will just let them in for an easy life/to avoid being spat at (another thing I’ve seen happen, and that was in times when being spat at didn’t come with the risk of contracting a fatal disease).

I hope it works, as you’re absolutely right that cinemas need to get back into business somehow, but I just hope the new rules will be strictly enforced and the people who refuse to adhere to them are ejected. Based on what we’re seeing in shops with people refusing to wear masks in shops like Costco that require masks to enter, I doubt it’ll be easy. 

If the world ended, and a Nolan's movie was the only thing showing - which is more or less what is happening now - I STILL wouldn't go see it!! **

That's how much I hate his overhyped shtick!!

** And not because of the "virus", which I hate less than Nolan.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, antovolk said:

but just because they can, should they? And - more importantly here imho- should studios (morally) be releasing big event films like this only in these still-risky cinemas, especially so early out the gate like TENET?

Well, I don't think morals should factor into a discussion regarding how cinemas can implement social distancing rules, which is what I was talking about. 

For studios and distribution, sure, morals should be part of the equation. But personally, I fall on the other side from you. If the measures are safe as per current medical advice and can be implemented safely, go for it, they should push big movies and get things restarted. 

• Like 3

Usually I complain that these boards make me feel old, but the nostalgia for drive-in theaters lately has made me feel young. Just not my bag at all. I have more chance concentrating watching on a cell phone than that, even. 

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Usually I complain that these boards make me feel old, but the nostalgia for drive-in theaters lately has made me feel young. Just not my bag at all. I have more chance concentrating watching on a cell phone than that, even. 

Huh. Why's that? To be fair I haven't been to a drive-in in a long time but I would think it would be a cool experience. Get to watch a double feature, can bring your own snacks/drinks to a lot of them. Definitely different, but I don't think it would be anymore distracting than watching something at home.

Just now, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Huh. Why's that? To be fair I haven't been to a drive-in in a long time but I would think it would be a cool experience. Get to watch a double feature, can bring your own snacks/drinks to a lot of them. Definitely different, but I don't think it would be anymore distracting than watching something at home.

There's just something about it. First off, and this is a me thing, but I've had a series of cars where finding the correct station to tune in to is always a problem. And once I find it, there's always interference, and its hard to find a good angle to park, and......just alot. I am a high-strung person with OCD, so I like the structure of regular movies OR the comfort and familiarity of home. Drive-in provides neither. 

• Like 1