Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Hearing these garbage takes that Nolan wants to release Tenet in July so that he can make a lot of money from his 20% gross participation deal. Ah yes, releasing the film in a spot where the movie would make less money is how Nolan's gonna make millions. Film twitter is the worst.

Film twitter's a disease. Movie looks great though. Nice Baneposting reference at the end.

• Like 1

I think the critiques here are on the trailer as a piece of marketing. It sucks. The film looks like it will be fine from a critical perspective. The trailer just lacks any real humor, scale, energy. 

It isn't good that people are still wondering the film is about. That is a serious problem. 

Edited by excel1

37 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I mean, Inception had Leo in the suits, Nolan cast Jude Law for The Prestige at first (but David O. Russell intimidated Nolan into dropping the idea so Jude would do I Heart Huckabees), Aaron Eckhart in The Dark Knight, even Dunkirk had Mark Rylance's young Nolan-looking blond son... It's kind of funny at this point, a bit vain yet also more modest than going the Shyamalan or Hitchcock route.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I mean, Inception had Leo in the suits, Nolan cast Jude Law for The Prestige at first (but David O. Russell intimidated Nolan into dropping the idea so Jude would do I Heart Huckabees), even Dunkirk had Mark Rylance's young Nolan-looking blond son... It's kind of funny at this point.

And he play the movie director in Inception I think:

https://screenrant.com/inception-movie-christopher-nolan-characters-actors-meaning-confirmed/

Jude Law was cast for the Memento lead role I think.

30 minutes ago, Barnack said:

And he play the movie director in Inception I think:

https://screenrant.com/inception-movie-christopher-nolan-characters-actors-meaning-confirmed/

Jude Law was cast for the Memento lead role I think.

The incident happened when Jude was supposedly going to leave I Heart Huckabees for a Nolan movie, well after Memento was released. It's widely reported that Nolan was going to make The Prestige before Batman Begins at first, and the timeline fits with IHH being a 2004 release. Huckabees is also the movie set where David O had that tirade on Lily Tomlin. From the Daily Beast:

Journalist Sharon Waxman delved into some of the context for that clip in a 2004 story for The New York Times, courtesy of what appears to be an all-access pass to the set of I Heart Huckabees. Waxman also detailed the lead-up to the unconventional shoot. When Jude Law initially quit the film, allegedly for a more lucrative gig in a Christopher Nolan film, Mr. Russell took his frustrations out on his fellow director. According to Waxman, Russell subsequently ran into Nolan at a “Hollywood party” and proceeded to put him in a headlock. “Wrapping his arm around Mr. Nolan’s neck, Mr. Russell demands that his fellow director show artistic solidarity and give up his star in order to save ‘Huckabees,’” Waxman writes. Ultimately, perhaps predictably, Russell got his way, and Jude Law was back on board.

Maybe he was "joking", but Russell has such a bad track record that you can't rule out that he might have seriously tried to beat up Chris Nolan over a casting decision. 

Tenet, I am intrigued but will only be seeing this in theaters if my area gets some pop up drive-ins for the summer. 

New synopsis

John David Washington is the new Protagonist in Christopher Nolan's original sci-fi action spectacle "Tenet."

Armed with only one word - Tenet - and fighting for the survival of the entire world, the Protagonist journeys through a twilight world of international espionage on a mission that will unfold in something beyond real time.

Not time travel. Inversion.
  • Like 2

I'm fine not knowing much but it's definitely trying a bit too hard to copy Inception's already-way-too-copied trailer. It's not tempting me enough to go to the cinema in July at any rate.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

Judging by the reactions here, I was expecting this to be shit. 

But it was fine. Nothing mind-blowing, sure, but fine. Definitely felt more like a first full trailer than a final one, that's for sure. It had enough energy throughout for me to not be a dull trailer, but it never really crescendoed to a huge moment. I'm fine with that provided there's more marketing to come. 

As for the movie itself - it looks good. I like the glimpses shown by Washington and Pattinson. 

EDIT

Rewatched it a couple more times and I liked it more. Still feels way too similar to Inception, to be honest and I think that's what's bugging me most. Like, if this were intentional, and it ends with Cobb in a diner with his kids, watching the news about a plane crashing into an airport, I'd like that, but clearly not the case.

Otherwise, I'm digging what I'm seeing. Looks to be the best Bond movie of the year. 

Edited by reddevil19

2 hours ago, antovolk said:

New synopsis

John David Washington is the new Protagonist in Christopher Nolan's original sci-fi action spectacle "Tenet."

Armed with only one word - Tenet - and fighting for the survival of the entire world, the Protagonist journeys through a twilight world of international espionage on a mission that will unfold in something beyond real time.

Not time travel. Inversion.

Kinda hoping he doesn't actually have a name and is only credited as The Protagonist in the movie. 

Edited by Jake Gittes