Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

38 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think that's what's going to happen. Cillian Murphy's character in Dunkirk was just called "shivering soldier".

They could have code names. Like... maybe number-based ones. Like, if he were the 7th agent, he could be 7. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

Ah man, if WW has to move because of this I’ll be pissed. But it can’t be helped I guess 

They could move this to December and try and keep WW84 for August, if they think the extra month will help. WW84 is probably a likelier option to drive people out than an original flick, and they would have more time to market Tenet.

Dune can move to 2021.

• Thanks 1

Haven't really had chance to post my thoughts here but folks...this is gonna be a fun movie. This trailer sells exactly what I was imagining the 'Nolan does Bond' initial pitch would be. He's really really indulging - and clearly having a ton of fun doing so - the classic spy movie cliches (Russian villain? 'No, Mr Bond I expect you to die'? All the locations?) and putting his timey wimey twist on it. The trailer, especially in comparisons to the initial teasers and prologue, is surprisingly light(er) on its feet. Love the - I'm sure it's not Ludwig but still - Tron: Legacy-esque music here and the way Goransson's main motif comes in at the end is just epic, and the details such as the reverse fight moment having the score also seemingly reversed.... Pattinson bringing his best Tom Hardy/Eames in Inception energy here too. 

So glad to put the release date/state of the world and industry concerns to one side and just enjoy the hell out of this.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Sadly, it is a weak trailer for me. It needed either some beautiful money shots, or some resonant character moments. It didn't deliver on either, and that last bit didn't land. 

Since the film is being positioned as the return of cinema, I was hoping this trailer would really show us why we ought to be excited for this movie.

Peace,

Mike

Yep. There is nothing that caught my eye. It's too bad that after Dunkirk, which was new ground for him, he decided to come back to the comfort zone. The time travel thing, we already saw it with Inception. I will still go because i'm huge Nolan fan, but i'm not pumped like i was for Interstellar or Dunkirk.

28 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Haven't really had chance to post my thoughts here but folks...this is gonna be a fun movie. This trailer sells exactly what I was imagining the 'Nolan does Bond' initial pitch would be. He's really really indulging - and clearly having a ton of fun doing so - the classic spy movie cliches (Russian villain? 'No, Mr Bond I expect you to die'? All the locations?) and putting his timey wimey twist on it. The trailer, especially in comparisons to the initial teasers and prologue, is surprisingly light(er) on its feet. Love the - I'm sure it's not Ludwig but still - Tron: Legacy-esque music here and the way Goransson's main motif comes in at the end is just epic, and the details such as the reverse fight moment having the score also seemingly reversed.... Pattinson bringing his best Tom Hardy/Eames in Inception energy here too. 

So glad to put the release date/state of the world and industry concerns to one side and just enjoy the hell out of this.

Agreed with this all.

It definitely seems that the trailer is showcasing more "fun" in the performances. Seems very much like Inception. Trailer was solid, Definitely holds back a bit on the set pieces, which I expect to be spectacular. The previous trailer/prologue/sizzle reel was better. If the prologue gives a sense of how the rest of the movie will be, it's gonna be a great ride.

6 hours ago, antovolk said:

New synopsis

John David Washington is the new Protagonist in Christopher Nolan's original sci-fi action spectacle "Tenet."

Armed with only one word - Tenet - and fighting for the survival of the entire world, the Protagonist journeys through a twilight world of international espionage on a mission that will unfold in something beyond real time.

Not time travel. Inversion.

Twilight world

edward-sparkles.jpg

How meta of Nolan:stirthepot:

Good trailer. I feel healthier after seeing it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, meridan said:

Why release a new trailer now if it isn't coming out in July? 

You want to know what is going on? I have a theory.

This is only the second trailer and it used a ton of the same footage from the first trailer. The absence of a date combined with "Coming to Theaters" is very conspicuous. If not for Nolan, Tenet would already have moved off the July 17th date. WB pretty clearly wants to move the film and is not committed to July.

So, this trailer looks like a compromise or hedging of bets. They get it out there and get some buzz going without committing to a date. If July 17th sticks, which I view as a longshot (and it appears WB agrees) at least this trailer has dropped. In this scenario there's more marketing coming closer to release. If the film moves, the more likely scenario IMO, a final trailer with some more original footage will be released a couple months out from the new release date. Previous Nolan films, such as Inception, had three trailers and the final one was quite different from the earlier two.

I think this trailer dropping says a lot about how WB views Nolan. There's so much respect. Many others would find the release date moved despite their objections, and there would be no trailer coming out in May for a very unlikely July release date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, doublejack said:

You want to know what is going on? I have a theory.

This is only the second trailer and it used a ton of the same footage from the first trailer. The absence of a date combined with "Coming to Theaters" is very conspicuous. If not for Nolan, Tenet would already have moved off the July 17th date. WB pretty clearly wants to move the film and is not committed to July.

So, this trailer looks like a compromise or hedging of bets. They get it out there and get some buzz going without committing to a date. If July 17th sticks, which I view as a longshot (and it appears WB agrees) at least this trailer has dropped. In this scenario there's more marketing coming closer to release. If the film moves, the more likely scenario IMO, a final trailer with some more original footage will be released a couple months out from the new release date. Previous Nolan films, such as Inception, had three trailers and the final one was quite different from the earlier two.

I think this trailer dropping says a lot about how WB views Nolan. There's so much respect. Many others would find the release date moved despite their objections, and there would be no trailer coming out in May for a very unlikely July release date.

Yes, I actually very much agree with this.

I've long said they won't 100% commit one way or another till close to the 10th of June, so they would have a month to properly market if they stick and enough time to study the situation and be convinced (as well as convince Nolan) that moving is the best if that's what they end up doing.

I'm kinda surprised they dropped the trailer in May and it definitely looks like a move to keep Nolan on side.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TMP said:

Pattinson looks like he's gonna give a great performance here

Certainly a fun one. Based off the trailer (which, admittedly, may be misleading), I want a spin-off where he and Hardy as Inception's Eames team up and crash and blow stuff up.