Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

34 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Is moving this by a month really gonna be a problem for WB? It seems like such an easy decision to me.

I think if they do move it, it shouldn't be to the WW84 slot. I truly believe this will be a better movie than WW84, but will it be a bigger draw as THE big reopening (if TENET moves, so does Mulan), even with an extra month of marketing and an extra month for more places to open? Doubtful, to say the least.

It's so tricky, especially with the anticipated second wave and social distancing measures. Basically, any date you open, as long as there's social distancing still in place, your chances for success are smaller. Especially if there's more movies scheduled around the same dates. So, what's a better option? Less time to market, probably fewer cinemas open, less buzz, as it's not a superhero flick, but also a higher probability there are fewer films playing so you can get more screens and showings and ride the WOM (hopefully) to a good result? 

If WB truly wants one of these two to be the big cinema reopening event this summer, then WW84 is the better choice in my opinion. So if they do move TENET, better push it to the Dune spot.

• Thanks 1

I guess why they went ahead to release the trailer without the release date was to retain the buzz.

Also, there is hardly any movie promotion at the moment, dropping the trailer now would mean they will have the entire share of attention among moviegoers

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 12:09 PM, Madhuvan said:

First time Nolan movie looks disappointing. Something is definitely missing. 

Maybe because of lack of connection with the world that movie was trying to represent, until now, not many , especially general public understood what the film is all about. The trailer seem like suggest inversion, but again that is big word that people can't relate

At least time travel was familiar enough to audience but the trailer outrightly said no.

Also, the lack of big star certainly isn't helping. John David Washington is hardly a household name like w.smith, michale b Jordan or even jammie foxx or morgan freeman....

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 9:16 AM, OncomingStorm93 said:

I'm going to say this isn't the final trailer. I think there will be one more whenever a release date is finalized. Be it a month from now or half a year from now.

Feel like this is just trying to keep the film in people memory

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 8:43 AM, excel1 said:

They're trying to be mysterious but it's backfiring here big time...more info is needed to draw interest. 

Agree, maybe they need even more trailers or even informative graphic to explain

47 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

If this is staying in mid-July, I'd guess right now that OW would be in the low $30m range.

I honestly doubt this would open much higher than 40-50M no matter when it opens. Pre-pandemic, it screamed Interstellar to me box office wise. 

If they want this to make big money, this absolutely needs another trailer with Inception/Batman sized action and money shots. Not cars driving on a highway, men running up theater steps, or boats slowly rising out of the water. Inception had the weird shots of water in the cup turning directions or Leo falling into the tub backward or the draddle spinning, but they had tons of actual money shots. Where are they with this movie? Where the fuck did the money go for this movie if that's the best they have? Where is the scale? Where the fuck are these type of shots:

original.gif

source.gif

tumblr_ncwweqt1ar1qigaa4o1_r1_400.gif

source.gif

source.gif

dark-knight-truck-flip-gif.gif

original.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=4158002

Tenet looks shockingly low budget. They need step it the fuck up now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

If this is staying in mid-July, I'd guess right now that OW would be in the low $30m range.

A lot of people won’t get in to see it opening weekend with limited seating. We are going to have to start looking at opening week from now on. 

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

If they want this to make big money, this absolutely needs another trailer with Inception/Batman sized action and money shots. Not cars driving on a highway, men running up theater steps, or boats slowly rising out of the water. Inception had the weird shots of water in the cup turning directions or Leo falling into the tub backward or the draddle spinning, but they had tons of actual money shots. Where are they with this movie? Where the fuck did the money go for this movie if that's the best they have? Where is the scale? Where the fuck are these type of shots:

original.gif

source.gif

tumblr_ncwweqt1ar1qigaa4o1_r1_400.gif

source.gif

source.gif

dark-knight-truck-flip-gif.gif

original.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=4158002

Tenet looks shockingly low budget. They need step it the fuck up now. 

you mean like this ? 

https://twitter.com/culturechttps://twitter.com/culturecrave/status/1264121766596632576?s=21rave/status/1264121766596632576?s=21

Edited by hasanahmad
  • Like 1

I get it not being as visually interesting as something like Inception being a thing, but there's plenty of scale to it to me.

I also think this movie's success currently relies on WOM rather than necessarily advertising if a Summer 2020 date sticks

• Like 1

I don't even love Nolan's movies, and I agree on the above @excel1

This trailer appeals only to hardcore NOnlyFans, at this point.  It's too pseudo-science-y for your average paranoid freedom-loving mask denier...and ironically, that's the audience they'll need most, right now...if it still gets released this summer...or this year, at all.  Either way, my bet is that this will not be one of Nolan's highest-grossing movies. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frozen said:

A lot of people won’t get in to see it opening weekend with limited seating. We are going to have to start looking at opening week from now on. 

I don't think capacity will be an issue. What else will theaters be showing? They can give as many theater rooms as needed to Tenet (assuming the demand is there) to offset the distancing in each individual theater.

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

I honestly doubt this would open much higher than 40-50M no matter when it opens. Pre-pandemic, it screamed Interstellar to me box office wise. 

Putting aside this lackluster second trailer, I thought going into the pandemic that this would open confidently in the $60m range.

Both Dunkirk and Interstellar opened with approximately $50m and ended with aprox. $190m domestic. Amazingly consistent. Both were strong overseas, Interstellar more so by $100m. Nolan is a self sustaining brand at this point.

Personally, I saw Tenet as a project with higher box office potential than Interstellar (marketed as a mysterious existential drama focused on Matthew McConaughey & his family, and oh yeah there's space) and Dunkirk (the fact it's the highest earning WW2 film of all time says a lot about how Nolan maxes the potential of any project).

Now, I don't think Tenet was ever going to match Inception (in terms of legs, not OW. Inception was very leggy), not with what we've seen so far. This film lacks Inception's star power,  truly unique mind-bending visuals, and unique sci-fi concept. However, being a modern day, Earth-set espionage blockbuster, with a time-travel angle, from Chris Nolan? Conceptually, that clears the openings of Interstellar and Dunkirk. I would have felt confident in predicting $60m. Now, I'd say just about half that.

If theaters are able to ensure a clean, healthy, socially distanced environment (which is a big damn IF, one that chains have about a month and a half to figure out), Tenet seems like the perfect film to get the ball rolling again. Slowly.

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

I don't even love Nolan's movies, and I agree on the above @excel1

This trailer appeals only to hardcore NOnlyFans, at this point.  It's too pseudo-science-y for your average paranoid freedom-loving mask denier...and ironically, that's the audience they'll need most, right now...if it still gets released this summer...or this year, at all.  Either way, my bet is that this will not be one of Nolan's highest-grossing movies. 

"Mask denier". Lol, that's a new one.

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

"Mask denier". Lol, that's a new one.

Nolan's film seems to have significant use of some form of masks, too, so the extra new subtext will be thrown right back in their faces. 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Macleod said:

Nolan's film seems to have significant use of some form of masks, too, so the extra new subtext will be thrown right back in their faces. 😂

Expect to roll up to a screening full of Banes

• Haha 1