Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

I have no idea what Fortnite is. 😝

On youtube it is doing good. Healthy number of views and 160k likes. However, Nolan has many fans. For example Birds Of Prey trailer 2 has almost 300k likes and we know how that ended up.

I still say the trailer is good, but it's a little confusing. There will probably be one more trailer once we approach the release date in October/December. I maintain it won't release in July

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

For example Birds Of Prey trailer 2 has almost 300k likes and we know how that ended up.

Birds of Prey trailer 2 also has almost the same number of views and more likes than Aquaman. Kinda useless to compare an R-rated film to a PG-13 one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

$200mn budget you say. Definitely.

If it keeps the July release date and if theaters are open, i predict a bomb so big it will scare off the other releases this year to next year.  I can't see more than 50M total domestic. And i'm being generous

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Maggie said:

If it keeps the July release date and if theaters are open, i predict a bomb so big it will scare off the other releases this year to next year.  I can't see more than 50M total domestic. And i'm being generous

won't say its not possible. Onward was down to 30-35% of its potential in its 2nd weekend before theaters closed.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

$50 million might be a bit pessimistic, but I can definitely see it missing $100 million which would be a shocker for a Nolan film in any other circumstances, and not something WB would be happy with.

Speaking purely anecdotally, I love Nolan movies, I’ve seen them all in cinemas and own all the DVD’s/Blu Ray’s, but there’s no way I’ll feel comfortable heading out to a cinema in July. I can’t wait to see Tenet and it absolutely shouldn’t skip theatrical, but I’m not going to risk death and the health of those around me in order to watch it before it’s considerably safer to do so. If it sticks to July, it’ll be the first Nolan film I’ve skipped in theatres. They’d be fools to stick to that date, and I hope the lack of a date on the actual trailer means that they know that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

That’s generous? What’s your pessimistic prediction?

Edited by WittyUsername

"Insiders expect that the studio will make a decision within a week about whether to hold “Tenet’s” planned debut on July 17 or push it back deeper into 2020. That’s because Warner Bros. will need to start revving up its marketing campaign for the film, and it won’t want to spend tens of millions of promotional dollars only to have to move it."

This report was from May 7. When can we expect WB's final decision? 

Prediction on what a movie will do for me sound almost impossible to do, we can try to use the latest movie drops just before theater close as a limited data set, but it seem really chaotic with how low it could be, how leggy it could be or not at all, I have very little hunch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The New Trailer is very good guys.  I've thought about this over and over again.  I love going to the movies, always will.  But WB and Nolan may need to think this through.  I say Limited "Theatrical Release" like a few weeks and then charge a huge VOD price.  Like 25 or 30 bucks.   Guys if theaters reopen they will have to follow Social Distancing guidelines that means "Limited Capacity".  I'm sorry but this will lose money no matter what.  Pushing it back to next year will lose the hype the movie has right now.  I know this is hard for Nolan...this Pandemic is not his fault but pushing it back to the Winter isn't good either.  It's so crowded now.   I know "VOD" is a dirty word to theater owners and film heads like myself.  But the reality is we just don't know if people will "Rush" back.  Sure some will take the risk but not everyone will.  This is a very abnormal Summer Blockbuster season.   Would I pay 29.99 VOD for it?  Yes I would.  WB and Nolan need to keep every option on the table.  

45 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

The New Trailer is very good guys.  I've thought about this over and over again.  I love going to the movies, always will.  But WB and Nolan may need to think this through.  I say Limited "Theatrical Release" like a few weeks and then charge a huge VOD price.  Like 25 or 30 bucks.   Guys if theaters reopen they will have to follow Social Distancing guidelines that means "Limited Capacity".  I'm sorry but this will lose money no matter what.  Pushing it back to next year will lose the hype the movie has right now.  I know this is hard for Nolan...this Pandemic is not his fault but pushing it back to the Winter isn't good either.  It's so crowded now.   I know "VOD" is a dirty word to theater owners and film heads like myself.  But the reality is we just don't know if people will "Rush" back.  Sure some will take the risk but not everyone will.  This is a very abnormal Summer Blockbuster season.   Would I pay 29.99 VOD for it?  Yes I would.  WB and Nolan need to keep every option on the table.  

Most people aren't going to be paying 30 dollars for a movie unless its a family film or a big franchise film. Limited capacity doesn't matter when the movie has all the screens. This movie is more likely to lose money from VOD than even a July theatrical release.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Most people aren't going to be paying 30 dollars for a movie unless its a family film or a big franchise film. Limited capacity doesn't matter when the movie has all the screens. This movie is more likely to lose money from VOD than even a July theatrical release.

Again it's probably going to lose either way the question is finding the right revenue route to keep everyone happy.   I'm not on the "Straight to VOD" route, but I'm not ruling out that a quicker VOD release window after a theatrical release should be considered.  There will be some moviegoers that want to see it on the Big Screen but because of pre-existing conditions they won't go.   That's different because that wasn't a factor before, it's a factor now.  Also people with family members with those conditions or elderly.  So I think all options should be on the table.   

1 hour ago, filmscholar said:

Would I pay 29.99 VOD for it?  Yes I would.  WB and Nolan need to keep every option on the table.  

If I was in USA and 29.99 was what I earn in 2 hours, I will without any issue.

India that will be like paying $1 at similar pay and I will do it now if they release it.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

20 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Again it's probably going to lose either way the question is finding the right revenue route to keep everyone happy.   I'm not on the "Straight to VOD" route, but I'm not ruling out that a quicker VOD release window after a theatrical release should be considered.  There will be some moviegoers that want to see it on the Big Screen but because of pre-existing conditions they won't go.   That's different because that wasn't a factor before, it's a factor now.  Also people with family members with those conditions or elderly.  So I think all options should be on the table.   

It's not going to lose money with a theatrical release tho. Maybe with its current release date (but still, higher chance of it breaking even with a normal theatrical release on that date than what you're suggesting) but with a date when things are relatively back to normal? I still see it making over 500 mil WW.

Edited by lorddemaxus