Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

2 minutes ago, antovolk said:

There's an IndieWire Zoom webinar happening - NY/LA apparently only make up to 12-14% of domestic box office according to Paramount’s head of US distribution - but he’s bullish on Tenet still opening on 17th…thinking it might not necessarily move if NY/LA aren’t open...

On OW, with IMAX, they make a lot more. They drop off over time. The highest grossing theaters are always in the 2 markets.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I see no buzz for this. The new trailer is getting very low view numbers. It needs to get delayed to 2021. People will only come back to theaters for their comfort food, meaning: superhero films.

5.4 mil views in barely a week is pretty good for an original film that's only riding on the director's name.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, antovolk said:

There's an IndieWire Zoom webinar happening - NY/LA apparently only make up to 12-14% of domestic box office according to Paramount’s head of US distribution - but he’s bullish on Tenet still opening on 17th…thinking it might not necessarily move if NY/LA aren’t open...

Yep, was listening to this, too.  This was interesting.  Chris Aronson, head of Paramount US Theatrical, was basically indicating that from all the people he's speaking to, all the inside word he's getting, that Warner Bros. and the major theater chains are planning on opening for TENET on July 17th or very soon thereafter, hell or high water. 

I think it's possible it goes to August and pushes Wonder Woman back, but it does seem the case that Warner and theatrical are adamant that they are trying to stick to a summer opening. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Lockdown is falling apart in the UK, so I've gone from thinking "it'd be madness for this to keep its release date" to "governments are mad, so I guess it might as well keep it now."

That's ultimately the problem at the root of all this. There's zero incentive for WB or chains or anyone to not take governments at their word even when they are mad.

• Sad 1

Exactly this.

And looking at how the US is handling, where the likelihood of litigation is high, if there is support in restricting liability (or providing guidance in how the sale of tickets can come with clear disclaimers), I reckon chains will be willing to give it a try. And it seems in that case WB is willing to risk/sacrifice TENET...

WB should just release the movie wherever possible when it opens and ride an avalanche of positive WOM to success when markets open later. 

People REALLY think San Franciscans will comply with a shutdown until August? The response when LA said they were discussing that was overwhelmingly negative, this will be no different. People literally will not stay in. Theaters opening in the greater Bay Area will see a surge in business from people stick inside. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, excel1 said:

WB should just release the movie wherever possible when it opens and ride an avalanche of positive WOM to success when markets open later. 

People REALLY think San Franciscans will comply with a shutdown until August? The response when LA said they were discussing that was overwhelmingly negative, this will be no different. People literally will not stay in. Theaters opening in the greater Bay Area will see a surge in business from people stick inside. 

Staggering the release seems unlikely at this point.

And just because people will refuse to stay in doesn't mean cinemas will actually rebel against government (local or otherwise) and open. That would be a sure way to open themselves up to litigation from the public, not to mention huge fines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the Total Film article (originally interviewed in April it seems):

Emma Thomas: We're going to be ready for our planned release date. We'll have to obviously play it by ear and hopefully the world will be back to some sort of normal in which people can go back to movie theaters by that time. It's really out of our hands. The only thing that we can do is be ready with a great movie, and we will be.

Nolan: We're finishing the film and the film will be ready for when the theaters reopen. I think that, at this stage, is all there is to say about it, really. I mean, even by the time this article comes out, the world will have changed again, but hopefully for the best.