Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Based on the speed of reopening at the local level and the amount of people who I have seen out (in major metro area in Florida, a high case number state)....I'm not convinced this is moving. By mid-July we're well on pace to be fully reopened. 

My bigger concern is that due to the protests and the fight for justice, movies just don't fucking matter right now.

I've heard people argue the protests would make people not want to see movies, but the thing is...wouldn't people want escapism at these times, especially a month from now? This obviously doesn't discredit what's going on, but I would think people would want a break and enjoy something else. Of course, saying all that, we're also likely going to get an increase of COVID cases, and what I'm saying could mean people would prefer watching something that's coming to PVOD or Netflix

• Like 1

As bad as this might sound... I don't think people will still care in a month's time. Some discussions on defunding police will happen, some lawsuits, a few slaps on the wrist, promises of systemic change, etc... And this will be off front pages by the end of June. It's still not an ideal marketplace to advertise a major movie, but it's gonna be something. And between the protests and COVID, the virus is more likely to stop people from going to cinemas, I think... 

And this news that 90% of marts are expected to be open is what WB wanted as a green light. So it does seem more likely they stick with the date than this time last week, even with the protests... 

• Like 3

If 90% of the global theatrical market will be open by July 17, why not move TENET to WW84's date to allow people to get more comfortable with the thought of going back to the theater? Expecting TWO blockbusters to do well a month apart in this climate is a bit much. 

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

As bad as this might sound... I don't think people will still care in a month's time. Some discussions on defunding police will happen, some lawsuits, a few slaps on the wrist, promises of systemic change, etc... And this will be off front pages by the end of June. It's still not an ideal marketplace to advertise a major movie, but it's gonna be something. And between the protests and COVID, the virus is more likely to stop people from going to cinemas, I think... 

And this news that 90% of marts are expected to be open is what WB wanted as a green light. So it does seem more likely they stick with the date than this time last week, even with the protests... 

They need to make the call within 2 weeks before the final marketing spend needs to start. I am still going with this not making July 17, that just seems like a wrong date because of the seating restrictions. Mulan has the much bigger issue as it targets families way more and I can see families returning to the theaters being a much bigger problem than individuals returning.

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They need to make the call within 2 weeks before the final marketing spend needs to start. I am still going with this not making July 17, that just seems like a wrong date because of the seating restrictions. Mulan has the much bigger issue as it targets families way more and I can see families returning to the theaters being a much bigger problem than individuals returning.

Yeah, I agree with your points. I do think they should have the first big opening in August, but... We'll see. As you said, Mulan has the easier pitch if it were a normal time, but it's target demos are unlikely to go out. Now, if Tenet moves, Mulan definitely does as well. What if WB announces next week they're sticking, though? Will Disney try as well? If they don't, then Tenet literally has the market to itself for a month, so it could potentially turn out well if they have 80% of all showings for 3-4 weeks.

So much up in the air at the moment...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Yeah, I agree with your points. I do think they should have the first big opening in August, but... We'll see. As you said, Mulan has the easier pitch if it were a normal time, but it's target demos are unlikely to go out. Now, if Tenet moves, Mulan definitely does as well. What if WB announces next week they're sticking, though? Will Disney try as well? If they don't, then Tenet literally has the market to itself for a month, so it could potentially turn out well if they have 80% of all showings for 3-4 weeks.

So much up in the air at the moment...

Mulan feels like it will be sacrificed if it doesn't move. It is a movie which will depend on families to a large extent. Families are currently not going places, especially enclosed places. A lot of parents aren't sending their kids back to school even in places where school has reopened. It will be hit very hard by the loss of that audience if it decides to stick to that date.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Mulan feels like it will be sacrificed if it doesn't move. It is a movie which will depend on families to a large extent. Families are currently not going places, especially enclosed places. A lot of parents aren't sending their kids back to school even in places where school has reopened. It will be hit very hard by the loss of that audience if it decides to stick to that date.

I don't think Mulan will be as impacted as much as some think. It's PG-13 and looks like it's going for a much more action-oriented tone than the previous Disney live-action remakes. Still has family appeal due to the Disney brand but I doubt, say, the Frozen crowd of little ones were gonna be out in full force for this even in normal circumstances.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

If Tenet gets pushed to August, I think Mulan should take that October 2 slot, since it'll basically have the month all to itself, although I am aware the issue of a second wave in the fall will probably make studios piss-scared of opening any major tentpoles there.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't think Mulan will be as impacted as much as some think. It's PG-13 and looks like it's going for a much more action-oriented tone than the previous Disney live-action remakes. Still has family appeal due to the Disney brand but I doubt, say, the Frozen crowd of little ones was gonna be out in full force for this even in normal circumstances.

Its still been marketed as a family film though. And I think the anti-Chinese sentiment (a dumb reason to not watch a movie) across the world is gonna hurt the movie too. Moving Mulan to next year seems like the safest bet to me.

Also, I think releasing a movie in the fall is a safer bet for all the summer movies if the Oxford vaccine is shown to work. Even if only a couple million (espescially healthcare workers and other essential workers) get them, it can prevent a 2nd wave.

Edited by lorddemaxus

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Its still been marketed as a family film though. And I think the anti-Chinese sentiment (a dumb reason to not watch a movie) across the world is gonna hurt the movie too. Moving Mulan to next year seems like the safest bet to me.

Also, I think releasing a movie in the fall is a safer bet for all the summer movies if the Oxford vaccine is shown to work. Even if only a couple million (espescially healthcare workers and other essential workers) get them, it can prevent a 2nd wave.

I understand the argument about anti-Chinese sentiment, but I feel like people overrate that. The people who won't see Mulan because its a Chinese story weren't gonna see it under normal circumstances to begin with. Do you seriously think normal people will think "Gee I was really excited to see Mulan,  but I'm suddenly a racist now so I won't watch it?"

This isn't me saying I'm pro-China or pro-CCP, nor am I saying there isn't negative feelings on the government, but I don't think that's such a big issue on the movie's potential box office.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

I understand the argument about anti-Chinese sentiment, but I feel like people overrate that. The people who won't see Mulan because its a Chinese story weren't gonna see it under normal circumstances to begin with. Do you seriously think normal people will think "Gee I was really excited to see Mulan,  but I'm suddenly a racist now so I won't watch it?"

This isn't me saying I'm pro-China or pro-CCP, nor am I saying there isn't negative feelings on the government, but I don't think that's such a big issue on the movie's potential box office.

This. Can't lose an audience that was never captive to begin with.

15 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Idk, I think there's gonna be a lot of talk about how watching the film is like supporting the Chinese government espescially since there's a lot of talk about how China is responsible for the virus. I think it's like releasing it during the HK protests. Waiting until the backlash as calmed down seems like a good move to me.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Idk, I think there's gonna be a lot of talk about how watching the film is like supporting the Chinese government espescially since there's a lot of talk about how China is responsible for the virus. I think it's like releasing it during the HK protests. Waiting until the backlash as calmed down seems like a good move to me.

It's a remake of a beloved Disney movie. No one (except maybe racists) is gonna look at it as having anything to do with the virus or the Chinese government or anything else. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's a remake of a beloved Disney movie. No one (except maybe racists) is gonna look at it as having anything to do with the virus or the Chinese government or anything else. 

Considering the massive differences from the animated film, I really don't think many people view this film as favourably as the other recent remakes. And it's kind of an open secret that the movie was pretty much made to pander towards China and the CCP. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alexdube said:

PS: Framing the Mulan boycott as racism is just plain wrong

Yeah, the boycott was because of the lead's stance on the HK protests. Not sure how invested middle America would be in those matters though.