Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

If it does get pushed back, I'd be sad, because I really want to see it, but I also think it deserves more time to be marketed properly.

Let WW84 be the first big movie released. It's got the best chance of getting people our to cinemas, especially in August - allows a month (or more in some international markets) for cinemas to show they're safe, with more classics. I'd love to go see Inception, for example.

2 hours ago, AndyK said:

"figuring out where to move it"

Perhaps if WB weren't so stubborn this whole time they would have better release dates later this year or next year before other studios moved their movies. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, meridan said:

"figuring out where to move it"

Perhaps if WB weren't so stubborn this whole time they would have better release dates later this year or next year before other studios moved their movies. 

Not really. It's most likely not other studios, but their own slate they're looking at. They're thinking if they move this to August and WW84 to December, Dune to next year, move some of the 2021 stuff. Or this to December, Dune next year. Or this to August, WW84 to Nov... WB already have some prime spots on the slate and they're gonna be doing a lot of rejigging, not just moving this randomly and hoping another studio doesn't then take a competing spot. 

4 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Not really. It's most likely not other studios, but their own slate they're looking at. They're thinking if they move this to August and WW84 to December, Dune to next year, move some of the 2021 stuff. Or this to December, Dune next year. Or this to August, WW84 to Nov... WB already have some prime spots on the slate and they're gonna be doing a lot of rejigging, not just moving this randomly and hoping another studio doesn't then take a competing spot. 

It doesn't change the fact that this should have been done a month or so ago. Took Universal a very short time to just move F9 to 2021. Didn't take Sony very long to move 4 movies from 2020 to 2021. What exactly is WB's obsession with keeping two of their biggest 2020 movies in a horrible summer theatrical climate? 

1 hour ago, TMP said:

So Mulan will open cinemas back up? Or AQP 2 in September?

They're all gonna move, dude or dudette. 

But I'd say that MULAN is the one that has the most possibility of going DTV/VOD. 

• ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, meridan said:

It doesn't change the fact that this should have been done a month or so ago. Took Universal a very short time to just move F9 to 2021. Didn't take Sony very long to move 4 movies from 2020 to 2021. What exactly is WB's obsession with keeping two of their biggest 2020 movies in a horrible summer theatrical climate? 

Fast 9 was very early summer, for a franchise that is pretty much entirely dependent on international, in a climate where the international situation was looking far worse than domestic. They had also been very late with marketing on it so the full year delay made sense. 

Sony has a weak slate all around, so they can't afford to risk anything especially since they would be looking at a continuing weak slate next year. The movies they moved probably could do with more time to polish up anyway, so buying time is not a bad idea. 

WB on the other end had a strong slate this year, with one of the most anticipated movies of the year already having been delayed. Waiting to see how things unfold does not present the studio with anything but a winning proposition. If they CAN open, they have pretty much exclusive access to the market and even a different box office pattern (reduced individual numbers, but massive number of screens and long legs) can allow for decent profits, even if not what they would have made otherwise. 

Because they have a decent slate, with some pretty good dates staked out, it also allows them to rejig late if need be, especially with WW84 being such an anticipated movie that they can move it to most dates and either scare the competition or end up outgrossing it when it eventually opens. 

There is very little drawback to waiting. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

WB needs to hurry up and set some reasonable release dates for Tenet and WW84. Snatch some dates next year. This year would mean their biggest movies will lose potential big chunk of money.

I think a big factor is Warners is aware that a resurgence of the virus is pretty much a given in the autumn and there is a debate as to how likely a second lockdown is.

Another probem is Warners ,.and all other studios will be having some cash flow problem soon. Even with production shut down, they are bleeding money through overhead..just the cost of keeping a studio in working order is high...and if they borrow money to keep things going it's going to cost them a lot in interest on the loans.

That's the problem; things are still do damn uncertain.

BUsiness hates uncertainity.

Edited by dudalb

This is going to move.

Though, without a bailout, theater chains are going to go out of business. So, does this mean, companies like Disney and WB buy up the theaters or what? If the later, then the laws would have to be changed to allow companies like Disney to own them. I know there was a rumor Amazon was looking to buy AMC. I think that is a likely possibility. This would also allow Amazon to advertise their products and services before movies start, and I guess release some of their movies to theaters, although, most (not all) Amazon films are crap.

1 hour ago, CloneWars said:

This is going to move.

Though, without a bailout, theater chains are going to go out of business. So, does this mean, companies like Disney and WB buy up the theaters or what? If the later, then the laws would have to be changed to allow companies like Disney to own them. I know there was a rumor Amazon was looking to buy AMC. I think that is a likely possibility. This would also allow Amazon to advertise their products and services before movies start, and I guess release some of their movies to theaters, although, most (not all) Amazon films are crap.

Some regulations have already been loosened, indeed.  I don't think it would take too many steps for this to happen.  The studios will paint it as "saving the industry" but of course it will full-circle us back to classic early 20th century Hollywood problems and more monopolistic control that will ultimately not be good for diverse and independent business in either production or distribution. 

Amazon Films are not entirely successful, true, but executives are changing behind the scenes, so we'll see if this changes things in a positive direction.  And anything Amazon produces is still arguably at a higher aesthetic and dramatic tier than most Netflix tosh...

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, CloneWars said:

This is going to move.

Studios did use to own theaters back in the old days. Paramount especially used this to their advantage by owning multiple theaters, utilizing block booking, and holding exclusivity on what theaters own. Basically imagine if Disney owned AMC Theaters, then AMC would either play nothing but Disney and Fox movies, or movies from other studios would get the short end of the stick in terms of showtimes and exhibition. But in the late 40s, the US government banned the process due to it violating antitrust laws.

Having said all that, the Trump administration did mention they were interested in removing these laws, considering them "outdated", though I don't think that went anywhere. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I don't know how Amazon works since despite having their own production studio, that's not their #1 business.

• Like 1