Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

Stay strong, WB. Hold the date. Save the theaters. Do a staggered release, if need be. This must open on time. It must. The hopes and dreams of an entire industry rest on your shoulders. Stand and deliver.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

If it release in July, I am certainly not watching it. Not going to a theater till next year at least, may be Eternals will be next.

Though good, something's releasing.

I feel the same way, I was looking forward to this, Wonder Woman, black widow, Godzilla v Kong and dune but I won’t be going to theatres this year and I’ll have to see how things are next year before I go back. 

They still have time to decide whether to delay this or not since July 17 is still far away (2020 is really shaping up to be the year in which every day feels like a year) so if an announcement were to come it would probably be in two weeks, especially since production in LA is gonna start again for the first time since the shutdown next week.

19 hours ago, filmlover said:

They still have time to decide whether to delay this or not since July 17 is still far away (2020 is really shaping up to be the year in which every day feels like a year) so if an announcement were to come it would probably be in two weeks, especially since production in LA is gonna start again for the first time since the shutdown next week.

Wide theatrical releases don't happen overnight, there's a reason tickets go on sale weeks in advance. Stuff needs to get set up, which they're gonna have to start doing well before July 17th

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Wide theatrical releases don't happen overnight, there's a reason tickets go on sale weeks in advance. Stuff needs to get set up, which they're gonna have to start doing well before July 17th

I think it's safe to say that movies for the rest of the year aren't gonna be marketed the way they usually are (there will be no promo tours for this or anything else, for one). Theaters operations are sure to be different too, given that they'll likely be operating at 50% capacity at most.

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think it's safe to say that movies for the rest of the year aren't gonna be marketed the way they usually are (there will be no promo tours for this or anything else, for one). Theaters operations are sure to be different too, given that they'll likely be operating at 50% capacity at most.

At this point I am pretty sure most big budget blockbusters will get pushed to after a vaccine. Studios will just keep delaying them, until one tries to launch a blockbuster on VOD.

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

At this point I am pretty sure most big budget blockbusters will get pushed to after a vaccine. Studios will just keep delaying them, until one tries to launch a blockbuster on VOD.

Nah, someone's gonna take the jump first even if it doesn't turn out to be this. The one with the smallest risk of big financial loss out of all these tentpoles is A Quiet Place 2 but I doubt Paramount's moving it up from its current Labor Day date.

36 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nah, someone's gonna take the jump first even if it doesn't turn out to be this. The one with the smallest risk of big financial loss out of all these tentpoles is A Quiet Place 2 but I doubt Paramount's moving it up from its current Labor Day date.

I still think that is gonna be one of the only "big" movies this year. The budget is small enough for Paramount to try. I can see WW84 on Christmas. Black Widow will move to February. Bond to the Summer 2021. Top Gun to May. Kong vs Zilla to Summer 2021.

Edited by CJohn

Hands up, who is going to see this if it opens July 17? I'm not talking on opening day, but who's going to see it at some point in let's say the first two weeks of release or so, as opposed to not seeing it at all?

I'll be there opening day if theatres are open! Not afraid.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Hands up, who is going to see this if it opens July 17? I'm not talking on opening day, but who's going to see it at some point in let's say the first two weeks of release or so, as opposed to not seeing it at all?

I'll be there opening day if theatres are open! Not afraid.

Yup, I'd watch it on OW. 

I wouldn't watch this in July as I live with a vulnerable person and the UK's lockdown easement strategy has thus far been a shambles. I'd still be surprised if WB sticks to that date because space restrictions mean the film simply can't make that much money even if people aren't already concerned about the virus.

That said... as a box office watcher it'd be undeniably interesting to see how the movie fares as a canary in the coalmine if it stays where it is.

Edited by Hatebox

It comes back to this chicken and egg problem - if not Tenet, what could work as a canary in the coal mine? Without Tenet/Mulan/WW84 major chains won't open until AQP2...and that's the problem (from their POV), being allowed to open but don't have anything to show and the reliance on studio content meaning they need that over indie/mid budget stuff

Edited by antovolk

16 minutes ago, antovolk said:

It comes back to this chicken and egg problem - if not Tenet, what could work as a canary in the coal mine? Without Tenet/Mulan/WW84 major chains won't open until AQP2...and that's the problem (from their POV), being allowed to open but don't have anything to show and the reliance on studio content meaning they need that over indie/mid budget stuff

I think it's still gonna be Tenet but later. Or Disney goes ahead with Mulan's current date.