Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

16 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

10 m ow, 30m domestic 

This is a realistic prediction if Tenet keeps the July date.  The movie is not something the general public is dying to see. Even if there were no pandemic, i still think Tenet would not break out. I see no more than a 50M OW under normal conditions. .

I stopped downtown last Saturday and not only were people out, it looked like New Year's Eve. The lines here are literally out the doors of stores every day. I'm not saying this is a good thing, at all. But I am just saying it is a thing. People are really ready to be out there and doing stuff, and yes, I think that applies to movies too. I think this movie's bigger problem is that outside of the internet crowd it's just not something that's gonna jazz the public as this huge event worth being the first one out - and I say that as a Nolan fan. I was predicting about 50/150 before all of this, so I don't think this is going to be sudden breakout. But if something like WW84 was the first movie out.....I think people absolutely would be there in droves. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I stopped downtown last Saturday and not only were people out, it looked like New Year's Eve. The lines here are literally out the doors of stores every day. I'm not saying this is a good thing, at all. But I am just saying it is a thing. People are really ready to be out there and doing stuff, and yes, I think that applies to movies too. I think this movie's bigger problem is that outside of the internet crowd it's just not something that's gonna jazz the public as this huge event worth being the first one out - and I say that as a Nolan fan. I was predicting about 50/150 before all of this, so I don't think this is going to be sudden breakout. But if something like WW84 was the first movie out.....I think people absolutely would be there in droves. 

100% agree.

This needs proper marketing. Being first will get it buzz, but it hasn't had anything else to sustain that.

WW84 is a much better movie to reopen cinemas.

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

For all this buzz that Tenet will be the first movie to welcome people back to cinemas, I think that Mulan will be the one to take that title away for the reasons you mentioned.

7 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

For all this buzz that Tenet will be the first movie to welcome people back to cinemas, I think that Mulan will be the one to take that title away for the reasons you mentioned.

Disney's so far seemed like they're tying Mulan's fate to Tenet's - i.e. only releasing if Tenet goes first. 

Don't think Disney will use Mulan as the test. They're more likely to push it back again and leave New Mutants to be their first release.

32 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Mulan's heavily banking on the family crowd though

5 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

At this point, it seems like movie theaters are basically the only business that hasn’t been reopened yet. I’m not saying it’s a good idea, but it wouldn’t be surprising if they’re up and running again by July. 

No, this isn't correct. Live entertainment is not happening anywhere, basically. Comedy clubs, theaters, concerts, etc. Live sports is starting but without fans. Amusement parks, water parks. There is a lot that hasn't opened up yet in many areas.

I remain very skeptical that Tenet will open in just five weeks. If it does hold the date, the numbers will be terrible. I went to a Home Depot on Sunday and it was very busy. It looked like a normal Sunday. Everyone is doing things around their homes. Meanwhile, the other large stores in the same shopping complex were all dead. There's a giant Kohls and there were only a handful of cars parked in that entire lot. The Target had maybe a dozen customers in it. Some areas are busy I think because people are lonely, so you see bars get packed. I don't think people are going to go out in numbers to see movies any time soon, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doublejack said:

No, this isn't correct. Live entertainment is not happening anywhere, basically. Comedy clubs, theaters, concerts, etc. Live sports is starting but without fans. Amusement parks, water parks. There is a lot that hasn't opened up yet in many areas.

I remain very skeptical that Tenet will open in just five weeks. If it does hold the date, the numbers will be terrible. I went to a Home Depot on Sunday and it was very busy. It looked like a normal Sunday. Everyone is doing things around their homes. Meanwhile, the other large stores in the same shopping complex were all dead. There's a giant Kohls and there were only a handful of cars parked in that entire lot. The Target had maybe a dozen customers in it. Some areas are busy I think because people are lonely, so you see bars get packed. I don't think people are going to go out in numbers to see movies any time soon, though.

I was using hyperbole. 

On 6/10/2020 at 6:18 AM, excel1 said:

it'll be 50% by then. 

But will a full 100% fill every single 50% theater?? 

I don't think so.  Far from it.  Even for TENET.

I would also be an advocate for actually switching WW84 and TENET, no matter when they arrive. 

I'd bet bucks on WW84 putting more butts in seats than this particular Nolan film. 

• Disbelief 1

On 6/10/2020 at 5:49 AM, dudalb said:

"If the    state is only allowing 25% in the theater, then it probably ain't that safe anyway".

Strong measure can go both ways communicate risk, but if the risk are already well known it can communicate that it will be somewhat safe because of the strong measure and help the business attract people, like having mandatory mask at costco.

This will probably be a great movie that slowly finds an audience over time, making an impact at award shows.

However, it's crazy to think that people would go back to cinema just to watch this. Yes, Nolan has a fanbase of cinephiles, but how big can that be? Casual viewers won't be interested. 

As with many projects lately, this lacks star power. Pattinson might be one of the best known young actors, but he ain't a draw. These kind of adult-oriented movies need a lead  a la DiCaprio-McConaughey- Bradly Cooper or a very popular actress in the vein of Scarlett Johansson-Angelina Jolie-Sandra Bullock.

Dunkirk kind of sold itself as a war movie, but still had a Harry Styles as a draw for the yongsters.

• Like 1