Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

On 6/13/2020 at 2:18 PM, The GOAT said:

How many of you are actually willing to go to a movie theatre one month from now? 

I'm not going in 2020. The exact odds are 0.0%.

I'd like to catch Tenet on the big screen, but if it comes out before next year then I'll just wait for it to release as VOD. As much as I love Nolan films, there are many that I didn't see in theaters due to timing. I watched Inception for the first time on my original Motorola Droid with it's massive 3.7" screen lol. So I'll be just fine if I have to settle for Tenet on my 4k HDTV.

5 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

studios in public: we should save cinema soon

studios in action: keep pushing it back

Rather, Nolan vs WB...

“In recent weeks, Warner, concerned about its “Tenet” investment, was leaning in favor of postponement, while Mr. Nolan, a fervent advocate for preserving the moviegoing experience, was more eager to press ahead. The discussions amounted to a fraught moment for Warner: Mr. Nolan is a proven moneymaker, and the studio wants to keep him happy.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/business/media/tenet-release-delayed.html?referringSource=articleShare

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I'm not going in 2020. The exact odds are 0.0%.

I'd like to catch Tenet on the big screen, but if it comes out before next year then I'll just wait for it to release as VOD. As much as I love Nolan films, there are many that I didn't see in theaters due to timing. I watched Inception for the first time on my original Motorola Droid with it's massive 3.7" screen lol. So I'll be just fine if I have to settle for Tenet on my 4k HDTV.

You make me sick.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

You make me sick.

It's not as bad as it sounds. I used to have really good vision, and the resolution on my Droid was identical to that of the 42" plasma TV I owned at the time (both 854x480 or EDTV standard). So the movie actually looked much sharper on my phone. I used to lay in bed and watch movies on the Droid. Inception looked more impressive than Iron Man 2.

But these days I wouldn't do that because my vision isn't what it used to be, and televisions in my price range have come a long way.

2 hours ago, antovolk said:

Point is it's might be neither Nolan or WB's call; it will probably be the local health officials call.

I doubt we will go back to a total stay at home. lockdown;but keeping the mass gathering venues closed is a real possibility.

Surprised that after the last few months people still do not get this.

Edited by dudalb

36 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Point is it's might be neither Nolan or WB's call; it will probably be the local health officials call.

I doubt we will go back to a total stay at home. lockdown;but keeping the mass gathering venues closed is a real possibility.

Surprised that after the last few months people still do not get this.

That's certainly what Nolan's likely justifying this with, if health officials say it's safe why shouldn't he open his film?

2 hours ago, RealLyre said:

They're not. It's not their job. 

Their job is to critique a movie and recommend it or advise against seeing it based on its merits as a film. It's for the public to decide when and how to then see it. 

• Like 9

Putting this in the Universe: What if Tenet is not very good? Or maybe it's not a crowd pleasing movie. The movie needs legs as OW will be deflated. And with social media, the WOM is important.....WOM could spread and hurt its legs

• Knock It Off 2

There's never any guarantees, but given how stubborn WB/Nolan are being, they must be confident in it.

But as each day passes, I just can't see how releasing on July 31st seems feasible or at least without tons of blowback. The window of opportunity for the US to get this under control by then seems to have passed. I know that sucks for other countries that actually took the proper steps. I'm a big Nolan fan obviously and I'd probably still even see Tenet in July. I'd have to take some big steps to limit my spread, but I don't feel good about this at all and if I don't feel good about it, I don't think that bodes well in general. Of course there'll be plenty of people who are gonna go because a significant portion of our population has seemingly stopped taking the proper precautions, but the whole thing seems off. Guaranteed reduced numbers, with the added risk of catching blame and potentially expediting the death of theaters if it blows up in your face, right or wrong.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, MrPink said:

There's never any guarantees, but given how stubborn WB/Nolan are being, they must be confident in it.

But as each day passes, I just can't see how releasing on July 31st seems feasible or at least without tons of blowback. The window of opportunity for the US to get this under control by then seems to have passed. I know that sucks for other countries that actually took the proper steps. I'm a big Nolan fan obviously and I'd probably still even see Tenet in July. I'd have to take some big steps to limit my spread, but I don't feel good about this at all and if I don't feel good about it, I don't think that bodes well in general. Of course there'll be plenty of people who are gonna go because a significant portion of our population has seemingly stopped taking the proper precautions, but the whole thing seems off. Guaranteed reduced numbers, with the added risk of catching blame and potentially expediting the death of theaters if it blows up in your face, right or wrong.

I think everyone in Hollywood should just agree to move the schedule a solid year. Summer 2020 releases move 12 months to a similar date in Summer 2021, Summer 2021 releases move to Summer 2022, and so forth.