Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

20 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think everyone in Hollywood should just agree to move the schedule a solid year. Summer 2020 releases move 12 months to a similar date in Summer 2021, Summer 2021 releases move to Summer 2022, and so forth. 

Theaters are getting ready to be fully open within the next month and are banking on these movies to bring people back as much as possible in this new era of reduced seating, especially since the only way they would close up shop again is if 1) nobody shows up when new movies open since the catalog titles they're currently stuck with won't cut it and 2) the country starts to move towards completely shutting down again (which is unlikely at this point). They'll all have to just hope for the best between the new guidelines and the movies themselves in bringing people back. We literally have no clue what the box office is gonna look like in the COVID-19 era now that the panic from March has subsided.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

until vaccines have widespread distribution, I think the only difference we will see for "must-see blockbusters" is lower OWs and a 20%-30% total decline of revenue.

so if Tenet was gonna normally make 250M domestically it now would make something like 175M with a lower OW.

if it somehow makes less and do like only like 100M, then the potential for the movie might have been over-estimated from the get-go, but no one is going to admit that and they'll blame the pandemic.

There are reports from European countries that after initial customer flurries from shops reopening, retail footfall is about 50% of what it was the same time last year. The fear is still real, even in countries doing far better than the US. I've long held that WB were mad to even entertain the idea of not getting Tenet the hell out of summer and nothing has yet to change my mind on that.

If their (unlikely) goal is to take a hit for the industry to get people into cinema-going again then fine, I guess, but I think they'll still be disappointed.

Edited by Hatebox

36 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

There are reports from European countries that after initial customer flurries from shops reopening, retail footfall is about 50% of what it was the same time last year. The fear is still real, even in countries doing far better than the US. I've long held that WB were mad to even entertain the idea of not getting Tenet the hell out of summer and nothing has yet to change my mind on that.

If their (unlikely) goal is to take a hit for the industry to get people into cinema-going again then fine, I guess, but I think they'll still be disappointed.

WB Italy announced today they've moved Tenet from September 18 to August 2. Films, even blockbusters, in Italy usually avoid the summer...

They're definitely doing this for the cinema chains rather than their own interest...

what if the inception anniversary does well? that might give WB more faith to keep the release date (or push it only to mid-august)

if this gets pushed again to September or October, and Wonder Woman moves again it will probably go to Dune's spot which means that will go to 2021.

if Dune does move away for next year to make room for WW84, do you think WB will try to put it in Jan/Feb so it can still compete for awards? I can't imagine it doing well financially there tho. so probably it gets pushed for later 2021

2 hours ago, RealLyre said:

what if the inception anniversary does well? that might give WB more faith to keep the release date (or push it only to mid-august)

if this gets pushed again to September or October, and Wonder Woman moves again it will probably go to Dune's spot which means that will go to 2021.

if Dune does move away for next year to make room for WW84, do you think WB will try to put it in Jan/Feb so it can still compete for awards? I can't imagine it doing well financially there tho. so probably it gets pushed for later 2021

I could see them pushing WW to 2021, since there won't be a DC film until August that year.

36 minutes ago, TMP said:

I could see them pushing WW to 2021, since there won't be a DC film until August that year.

Re-release Shazam for December this year - it's a Christmas kind of movie anyway.

WW84 to Valentine's Day next year, since it's clearly a rom-com.

Tenet July 2021. 

Dune Jan 2021.

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

Re-release Shazam for December this year - it's a Christmas kind of movie anyway.

Tenet July 2021. 

Dune Jan 2021.

A Marvel film and DC film coexisting together is pretty much impossible imo. And I hope it doesn't happen for the sake of this forum lol.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

Tenet July 2021. 

Dune Jan 2021.

2 hours ago, TMP said:

What are you guys on about they're not delaying anything until 2021. WW is set to come out in October this year, plus theatres are already reopening on July 15 with a lot of saftey precautions

Edited by AliasJester

4 hours ago, RealLyre said:

This post makes makes no sense WW84 is realasing in October and theatres are set to reopen next month

3 minutes ago, AliasJester said:

What are you guys on about they're not delaying anything until 2021. WW is set to come out in October this year, plus theatres are already reopening on July 15 with a lot of saftey precautions

This is assuming TENET doesn't open and is pushed... in which case it makes more sense to push WW to 2021 tbh, especially since DC doesn't have a film scheduled to open that year until all the way into August

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

A Marvel film and DC film coexisting together is pretty much impossible imo. And I hope it doesn't happen for the sake of this forum lol.

Don't worry, once/if Tenet and Mulan get pushed, WW84 will, we're in for another domino effect. Marvel slate also shifting. 

27 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I doubt it. Black Widow and The Eternals will probably stay where they are imo while I can see Shang-Chi move due to production delay.

I think it is much more likely BW moves out of 2020. COVID cases are rising in 21 states during a time when weather is good. I'm not saying movie theaters will necessarily be closed in the fall, but a November release for BW is going to put it at risk of losing a lot of money. I believe Disney will eventually delay it.

Tenet and Mulan are serving as the test subjects. If they continue to move, everything else is going to shift. There's just no way to forecast reliably so all the release dates have to be treated as tentative.

• Like 2