Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

15 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Disney did that with Artemis Fowl.

It's easier to dump and bury a movie that even the studio considered an embarrassment than it is one that is expected to be a big hit and potential awards player whenever it comes out.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

This is not comparable to Artemis Fowl in any way, lmfao. Your posts are always so weird, haha

I wasn’t trying to suggest that it was. I’m looking forward to this movie. I’m just saying that a major part of the draw for this movie is Christopher Nolan’s name, and Nolan is someone who values the cinema experience. I’m saying that if this movie were directed by a lesser name, it first of all would probably have not cost $200 million, and second, the studio would probably be more willing to count their losses on it, given the current state of the world. 

My only point is that a major reason why WB is prioritizing this movie is because it’s directed by Christopher Nolan. I don’t see why that’s a controversial stance. Nolan is pretty much one of the only directors these days who can make such an expensive film that isn’t based on an established IP. 

20 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

WB are not setting this up as Guinea Pig. It appears they want to move this to next year but nolan still wants an early date. When it comes to nolan movies at this point Nolan makes the call. But WB will push back if market is mostly crossed. 

At this point, at least in the US, state and local health officals will be making the call.

26 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I wasn’t trying to suggest that it was. I’m looking forward to this movie. I’m just saying that a major part of the draw for this movie is Christopher Nolan’s name, and Nolan is someone who values the cinema experience. I’m saying that if this movie were directed by a lesser name, it first of all would probably have not cost $200 million, and second, the studio would probably be more willing to count their losses on it, given the current state of the world. 

My only point is that a major reason why WB is prioritizing this movie is because it’s directed by Christopher Nolan. I don’t see why that’s a controversial stance. Nolan is pretty much one of the only directors these days who can make such an expensive film that isn’t based on an established IP. 

This movie wouldn't exist at all without Nolan let alone it having a smaller budget, we'd be eagerly anticipating Unhinged to bring us back to theaters.

• Like 4

On 6/26/2020 at 5:43 PM, CloneWars said:

The Governor of California ordered a county to shut down. I think it's a matter of time before California goes back to full lock down. I really don't see this coming out in August, and I am starting to doubt any tent pole movie coming out for the rest of 2020. 

I don't know about whole states going back into lockdown. It is possible but I think the situation would have to be much worse than it presently is for that to happen. I think lockdown orders will be more targeted based on where the virus is spreading fast.

However, I agree completely with your conclusion. Tent poles should not be released for the remainder of 2020 and probably well into 2021 given the situation in the US and the importance of the domestic market on films' ability to make money. The conditions to sustain even a 100M gross in the US for a single film are simply not going to happen this year. We are seeing how widespread the virus is in the US and what the impact is of reopening before spread is under control. It is a disaster. Theaters fall squarely into the category of activities that pose higher risk because of the length of time people are potentially exposed and the fact that mask compliance will be low because of concessions.

I don't think Tenet will be moved many more times before reality sets in and either no release date is given and it becomes a TBD, or the release date moves into 2021. These small moves only buy time to see how much worse things are getting. The odds of an August release are even worse than the original mid-July date. It isn't happening.

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Replace this country star Chace Rice with Nolan. I imagine this would be the response to Tenet playing in theaters in August (not that i think  it will happen)

Chase Rice? Lol, he was on The Bachelor this season for an episode where there was a concert. He wasn't even impressive in a free amusement park show, and that was before. I wonder how many women in that crowd are Bachelor fans.

Anyway, I think a movie screening would be safer than a concert but I wouldn’t want to go to either right now. There are theaters open now and drive ins are overwhelming more popular at the moment.

On 6/26/2020 at 3:28 PM, filmlover said:

It's easier to dump and bury a movie that even the studio considered an embarrassment than it is one that is expected to be a big hit and potential awards player whenever it comes out.

This.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:33 AM, TMP said:

This is not comparable to Artemis Fowl in any way, lmfao. Your posts are always so weird, haha

Artemis Fowl had an initial budget of 65 Million. how it ended up costing twice that is going to be an interesting story, and  probably a good example of bad managment.

It was always intended to be a "minor release"

Tenet is one of the years' biggest films.

Anyway, pretty clear that neither Nolan or Warners are really calling the shots on the release , it's the public health officals.

That Live Theaters in NYC will remain closed until early 2021 is not a good sign for entertaiment venues.

• Like 1