Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Everything's probably about to clear out of 2020 and start looking at release dates for next year soon. It's July 20, in a normal world movies to be released in the spring and some for next summer would start their marketing campaigns at this point.

Nope.

28 minutes ago, Lucas said:

They probably should just pick and choose which countries to release it in first based entirely on safety. Other countries' incompetence shouldn't get in the way.

This. 

That article hinted at an international release date and a slow roll out for struggling America, only in the cities that have managed to get Covid under control. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Something tells me we won’t see this domestically until November or December 

It depends. If they treat the US as a whole, then Tenet won't play here this year. If they instead are content with allowing it to play in some markets and not others (because theaters are shuttered) then maybe it does open in the US in 2020.

I'm just very surprised they seem to have settled on the staggered release option. I view it as a huge risk.

7 minutes ago, doublejack said:

It depends. If they treat the US as a whole, then Tenet won't play here this year. If they instead are content with allowing it to play in some markets and not others (because theaters are shuttered) then maybe it does open in the US in 2020.

But if Nolanites travel to Vermont or Hawaii to watch Tenet, they could carry the virus...

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, doublejack said:

I'm just very surprised they seem to have settled on the staggered release option. I view it as a huge risk.

I’m not so sure the staggered release in the US would really work. If they opened it in New Jersey, but New York theatres are still closed, what’s to stop someone travelling from NYC to watch it in an NJ cinema and accidentally spreading the virus to NJ? If your state’s cinemas are closed but a nearby one is open, I’d bet a lot of Nolan fans would just take a drive to the nearest open cinema. The only way I can see this working is if it’s considerable distances between open cinemas.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Something tells me we won’t see this domestically until November or December 

If we are very, very lucky. The experts warnings about a second wave this winter are not promising for this scenario.

Feel like any unconventional release strategy would be more productively used by conventional tentpoles, namely franchise movies and remakes that don't rely on any original plotting and wouldn't really be damaged by spoilers. 

• Like 1