Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

But if Nolanites travel to Vermont or Hawaii to watch Tenet, they could carry the virus...

Beats Nolanites traveling to Europe or Canada to see it.... oh right, never mind. US residents can't travel to those places. At least we'll keep it in the country.

I thought of something else.

Some films have had lasting impacts on the cinematic experience. Attack of the Clones was the first digitally filmed major motion picture, and caused a large conversion to digital projection. Avatar ushered in the 3D era, which is mercifully dwindling (and completely failed at home), but I digress. Blair Witch gave us the shaky cam perspective. The Hobbit films tried, but failed, to make 48fps a thing.

Could Tenet be the driving force that creates a resurgence of the drive-in theater in the US?

Thankfully, there is a large drive-in near me. So, if Tenet does open domestically that is likely where I'll be seeing it. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

"damaged by spoilers" is one of those fictional studio concerns. doesn't matter to 99.9% of people in the real world who aren't looking for them. unless the word gets out that the movie just sucks shit.

No, it's not a fictional concern. Why do you think movies, particularly large blockbusters, have become so front-loaded? Not getting spoiled is a huge deal for a lot of the US.

1 minute ago, doublejack said:

No, it's not a fictional concern. Why do you think movies, particularly large blockbusters, have become so front-loaded? Not getting spoiled is a huge deal for a lot of the US.

Is there a concrete example of plot spoilers being released/leaked and then a big movie underperforming? i'm saying even if avengers endgame had spoilers out online a month before release 99% of the audience would have been able to avoid them pretty easily. there's the occasional dickhead online but almost everyone who sees early spoilers are people who look for them.

22 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Feel like any unconventional release strategy would be more productively used by conventional tentpoles, namely franchise movies and remakes that don't rely on any original plotting and wouldn't really be damaged by spoilers. 

Mentioned a few weeks ago that if a tentpole were to open overseas first before the US Mulan would make by far the most sense since it's a remake of a 22 year old movie without a risk of "spoilers!" like this or the sequels such as No Time to Die and Wonder Woman and so on do since everyone knows how it ends, especially now that China is reopening, but we'll see.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

"damaged by spoilers" is one of those fictional studio concerns. doesn't matter to 99.9% of people in the real world who aren't looking for them. unless the word gets out that the movie just sucks shit.

Problem is they can still be seen even by people who aren't looking for them. But point taken. (And, sure, word on the movie's quality before it's opened is more crucial here than with a big franchise tentpole too.)

• Like 1

Just announce it for next year, FFS. I'm getting embarrassed on their behalf.

(And yes, everywhere. Lockdown is technically over in the UK but I guarantee it wouldn't make a quarter of what it would have in normal times if comes out here this summer. The appetite for cinemas has not returned yet.)

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Are we closing in on a record for number of thread title changes for a blockbuster’s main thread here? If not there must be quite a story behind the current record holder.

If ONLY the creator of The New Mutants thread hadn't just put "Delayed Again" and called it a day. That would be a clear winner.

What is this 'unconventional release strategy' they're imagining, I wonder. Just overseas first? It happens, though Americans waiting 4 months for an American movie would be unusual.

Unlike NM, this is a movie I could believe has a 'No PVOD' clause in the contract between Nolan and WB.

18 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Just announce it for next year, FFS. I'm getting embarrassed on their behalf.

(And yes, everywhere. Lockdown is technically over in the UK but I guarantee it wouldn't make a quarter of what it would have in normal times if comes out here this summer. The appetite for cinemas has not returned yet.)

Bummer but true.

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Is there a concrete example of plot spoilers being released/leaked and then a big movie underperforming? i'm saying even if avengers endgame had spoilers out online a month before release 99% of the audience would have been able to avoid them pretty easily. there's the occasional dickhead online but almost everyone who sees early spoilers are people who look for them.

Are you looking for an example better than Batman v. Superman DoJ? The trailer gave everything away. Fans were upset and called that nothing was left to be revealed in the film. They were right with a minor caveat (they assumed a death that wasn't shown but did in fact happen).  I'm not sure anyone from a competitor trying to do harm to DC could have put together a better 3 minute supercut of spoilers than the official trailer. Was that the only reason the film disappointed? No, probably not. It had to have been a factor, though.

There are other examples. Expendables 3 leaked in full and then bombed, although that was more an issue of piracy than spoilers.

Anyway, the reason films open up at about the same time globally is to cut down on the risk of losses from piracy and spoilers. The concern is not unfounded. People rush to go see something they really want to see just so they don't inadvertently get spoiled. I learned that Han was killed and by who via a Facebook post, back when I was on FB. We had NFL stars tweeting about the death of one of the Avengers the weekend IW was released. People don't have to hunt for spoilers, we are all so connected through social media that they will find us. WB is going to lose a bunch of money if they follow through with this unconventional release plan for Tenet. I just don't see how it has a happy ending.

52 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This is insane. I don't want to hear people claim "reviewers/journalists were bribed because they got lunch at a press junket" bullshit ever again if Warner Bros is literally saying "give us positive coverage because it's good for business" in a secret press release

Edited by SpiderByte

What he says...

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't want to hear people claim "reviewers/journalists were bribed because they got lunch at a press junket" bullshit ever again if Warner Bros is literally saying "give us positive coverage because it's good for business" in a secret press release

I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there.

Edited by Barnack