Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

33 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

There's no way WW isn't going into cinemas. Come on now.

Yeah? From the tweet: For example, Stankey says: "Is [going to streaming] going to happen on a movie like Tenet or Wonder Woman? I would be very surprised.

I think Julia is joking around a bit at the end of the tweet but hard to know for sure. 

Edited by Jamiem

Looks like no staggered national release

In an interview on CNBC immediately after the earnings call, Stankey said a film with the event profile of Tenet can’t be sporadically released in various markets. “It needs to release nationwide,” he said. “So if you have a major metropolitan area — say, Los Angeles — that’s totally out of check and you have other parts of the country that are totally in control, it doesn’t necessarily give you an option to open it in half the country. It just doesn’t work very well that way.”

• Like 1

Speaking during a ScreenDaily Talk today, Enrique Gonzalez Kuhn, CEO of Spanish distributor Caramel Films, added weight to the speculation and said: “Tenet will be on August 27, that’s for sure… I think [Warner Bros] will release in Asia and Europe and maybe the US and other countries later.”

A separate source told Screen Warner Bros is set to announce plans to release the film in the UK and Europe “toward the end of August” with a US release planned for later in September.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/speculation-intensifies-around-tenet-international-release-in-late-august/5151821.article

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TMP said:

Didn't HBO Max flop? Would make no sense to send Tenet there.

A film like that on the service would be a huge subscriber boost...but no way would happen because Nolan of course. Just saying, Stankey seems like the sort of exec that's just frustrated about being beholden to some pesky cinemas, it's not a coincidence yesterday's earnings call was all HBO Max, HBO Max, HBO Max. A lot of these conglomerates (especially WB because AT&T) are about direct to consumer and controlling it all end to end from the internet provider to the platform, and the theatrical ecosystem and the budgets of films like Tenet (and filmmakers like Nolan evangelising the traditional not just experience but distribution infrastructure and industry) stand in the way

Edited by antovolk

1 minute ago, antovolk said:

A film like that on the service would be a huge subscriber boost...but no way would happen because Nolan of course. Just saying, Stankey seems like the sort of exec that's just frustrated about being beholden to some pesky cinemas, it's not a coincidence yesterday's earnings call was all HBO Max, HBO Max, HBO Max. All these conglomerates are about direct to consumer and controlling it all end to end from the internet provider to the platform, and the theatrical ecosystem and the budgets of films like Tenet (and filmmakers like Nolan evangelising the traditional not just experience but distribution infrastructure and industry) stand in the way

Tenet isn't gonna be a huge subscriber boost unless they do some significant marketing (which HBO Max failed at).

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, antovolk said:

A film like that on the service would be a huge subscriber boost...but no way would happen because Nolan of course. Just saying, Stankey seems like the sort of exec that's just frustrated about being beholden to some pesky cinemas, it's not a coincidence yesterday's earnings call was all HBO Max, HBO Max, HBO Max. A lot of these conglomerates (especially WB because AT&T) are about direct to consumer and controlling it all end to end from the internet provider to the platform, and the theatrical ecosystem and the budgets of films like Tenet (and filmmakers like Nolan evangelising the traditional not just experience but distribution infrastructure and industry) stand in the way

Maybe he should have pioneered a better launch for his streaming service then, lol, since right now sending any high profile film to Max is flushing money down the toilet.

54 minutes ago, TMP said:

Maybe he should have pioneered a better launch for his streaming service then, lol, since right now sending any high profile film to Max is flushing money down the toilet.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Didn't HBO Max flop? Would make no sense to send Tenet there.

So you're going to post clueless rants about HBO Max in every Warner thread now, not only DC?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

HBO Max isn't doing very well at the moment and had a bad launch though.

So when is AT&T going to shut down this struggling "flop"? Next week? In a couple of months?

TMP and you don't seem to understand what HBO Max is.

8 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

So when is AT&T going to shut down this struggling "flop"? Next week? In a couple of months?

TMP and you don't seem to understand what HBO Max is.

I don't think you understand how streaming services work. They aren't gonna shut it down because streaming services are about the long-term but attaching a a 200 mil budget film to a domestic exclusive service with only 4 mil subscribers (most of whom are probably legacy subscribers) is an awful decision. Even Netflix was clever enough to start makong huge budget films after they had a large worldwide subscriber base.

And the launch was awful regardless of whether you like it or not.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't think you understand how streaming services work. They aren't gonna shut it down because streaming services are about the long-term but attaching a a 200 mil budget film to a domestic exclusive service with only 4 mil subscribers (most of whom are probably legacy subscribers) is an awful decision. Even Netflix was clever enough to start makong huge budget films after they had a large worldwide subscriber base.

Where did I write that Tenet would launch on HBO Max?

And you don't seem to understand the viability and purpose of this service.

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

attaching a a 200 mil budget film to a domestic exclusive service with only 4 mil subscribers (most of whom are probably legacy subscribers) is an awful decision

Which is why I can't see that happening, to be honest. I suppose there's a chance that it plays overseas and, with endless domestic delays, they just release it domestically on Max, but even then it would be such a waste of potential that I can't see how they don't just push it either to Christmas (with Dune to 2021) or next summer.

15 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Where did I write that Tenet would launch on HBO Max?

And you don't seem to understand the viability and purpose of this service.

The service is only viable when AT&T stops fucking up distribution. Tell me how a service that 70% of the domestic market can't use is viable? And the purpose of the service is to expand HBO outside of just adult, premium TV and into something for a wide audience (this is already considered a divisive decision since it just dilutes the brand).

Saying that AT&T fucked up so far isn't a controversial statement. Ask any industry analyst so far and they'd agree that the launch was underwhelming.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The service is only viable when AT&T stops fucking up distribution. Tell me how a service that 70% of the domestic market can't use is viable?

So it isn't viable at the moment? You seem to agree with this:

2 hours ago, TMP said:

sending any high profile film to Max is flushing money down the toilet.

Warner will not send a high profile film to HBO Max in the next couple of years? Instead the service will be shut down? Prediction, please.

13 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Warner will not send a high profile film to HBO Max in the next couple of years? Instead the service will be shut down? Prediction, please.

What an insanely bad faith argument. HBO Max is currently doing poorly and launching something as big as this on a domestic-only service with soft numbers means you’re guaranteeing that you won’t see a return on investment. Unless those Max numbers exponentially boost in the next few weeks, it’s not a viable option at all.

Also I was talking about Max as it’s performing right now, not how I think it’ll be like years from now, but I guess I should have expected a reach from an argument in such bad faith.

• Like 2