Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

13 minutes ago, TMP said:

What an insanely bad faith argument. HBO Max is currently doing poorly and launching something as big as this on a domestic-only service with soft numbers means you’re guaranteeing that you won’t see a return on investment. Unless those Max numbers exponentially boost in the next few weeks, it’s not a viable option at all.

So now it has become launching Tenet on HBO Max "in the next few weeks"? You actually wrote "any high profile film". Keep up with your own trolling, and we will see how this prediction (or HBO Max "flopping") turns out.

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

So now it has become launching Tenet on HBO Max "in the next few weeks"? You actually wrote "any high profile film". Keep up with your own trolling, and we will see how this prediction (or HBO Max "flopping") turns out.

I literally said “right now sending any high profile film to Max is flushingmoney down the toilet.“, from which you conveniently left out the first two words when you quoted it to try and make what I said mean something else. 
Anyways, it’s clear you’re only arguing in bad faith so this is the last thing I’ll say on this.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

No studio is gonna think about launching a movie on a streaming service that's not available in most countries. 

For what it's worth, WB is giving An American Pickle a traditional theatrical release over here! At this point if any WB film goes to HBO Max it's probably gonna be US only and other territories pick and choose...

27 minutes ago, TMP said:

I literally said “right now sending any high profile film to Max is flushingmoney down the toilet.“, from which you conveniently left out the first two words when you quoted it to try and make what I said mean something else.

When does "right now" end? It seems pretty silly and trollish to imply that Warner was planning to drop a high profile movie on HBO Max before Tenet was even supposed to be released in theaters.

Are you patting yourself on the back because Godzilla v Kong isn't being released on HBO Max this week?

Edited by MrGlass2

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This isn't going to any streaming service period because Nolan would never allow it so it's all moot.

the question is would Nolan not allow it because he wants his movie to be profitable or because he wants his movie to be seen on a large screen? 

the reason studios are very reluctant to send any blockbuster to streaming/VOD is mostly a financial issue I reckon, if blockbusters could be profitable on digital/streaming I don't see why studios wouldn't do it, like if Netflix were to pay 300M-400M to buy a blockbuster from a studio, would execs still decline? 

48 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

the question is would Nolan not allow it because he wants his movie to be profitable or because he wants his movie to be seen on a large screen? 

Nolan has always placed importance on the theatrical experience. He believes that his movies were made to be seen on the largest screens possible. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

They aren't gonna shut it down because streaming services are about the long-term but attaching a a 200 mil budget film to a domestic exclusive service with only 4 mil subscribers (most of whom are probably legacy subscribers) is an awful decision

SVOD logic isn't easy for my brain, but I am not sure what the numbers of subscribers change, even if if HBO would have 150m subscribers it is not like they are making money with people watching it.

There is 30m+ in the USA Cable HBO subscribers that could move over to HBO Max, if that someone they want to accelerate and ultimately want, a giant movie exclusively on MAX and not regular HBO could be a way, it need to after a deal is reach with Amazon/Roku obviously but if theater are to not be viable in 2021 (because outside of some exceptional scenario like that a Nolan movie do not start there anyway), the question is much more how many customer you can gain or retain with your SVOD product, how many watch it is almost irrelevant, your not selling tenet to subscribers, you selling it to yet to subscribe people (and to those thinking to cancel soon).

Edited by Barnack

2 hours ago, antovolk said:

For what it's worth, WB is giving An American Pickle a traditional theatrical release over here! At this point if any WB film goes to HBO Max it's probably gonna be US only and other territories pick and choose...

I'm surprised they've done that as US comedies have a hit and miss track record. 

Superintelligence could potentially get a theatrical release OS although depends on how confident WB feels about it. 

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm surprised they've done that as US comedies have a hit and miss track record. 

Superintelligence could potentially get a theatrical release OS although depends on how confident WB feels about it. 

At this point they're probably just giving them something new to show since the plea to unleash the tentpoles as the US continues to see record case numbers with no hope for theaters reopening in the near future isn't gonna work.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, antovolk said:

Probably means that Bill & Ted 3 will be getting a theatrical release in the UK since WB is distributing it here. It’ll be interesting to see where they schedule it as surely they’d want to avoid putting it up against Tenet if the UK gets that at the end of August.

7 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Probably means that Bill & Ted 3 will be getting a theatrical release in the UK since WB is distributing it here. It’ll be interesting to see where they schedule it as surely they’d want to avoid putting it up against Tenet if the UK gets that at the end of August.

Bill and Ted can easily co-exist with Tenet but I suspect they'll simply move it back a week or two.

WB has a few smaller films on their slate in the UK, one being The Nan Movie which I imagine will end up being in October where The Witches once was and Dream Horse which was meant to come out in the Spring but I reckon will be quietly released sometime in the Autumn as it probably wouldn't have done big business even in normal times.