Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Still don't think WB will go for a staggered release. I expect they'll soon admit defeat and copy Disney.

as industry-risking that may be for international (there is really a narrative coming out of *UK* film Twitter now that we should go out and risk it to make sure cinemas stay afloat) I as a viewer would just love this to move out to 21

24 minutes ago, antovolk said:

as industry-risking that may be for international (there is really a narrative coming out of *UK* film Twitter now that we should go out and risk it to make sure cinemas stay afloat) I as a viewer would just love this to move out to 21

I think the UK chains are in for a pretty big shock in terms of how many people are willing to go back to cinemas this side of 2021, the infection rate has actually risen over the last few days according to the Worldometer figures, and today’s death toll was 123, so we’re clearly not out of the woods yet. Releasing Tenet at the end of August in the UK will see it make a fraction of what it would make compared to a later date.

Paramount and Universal seem to be the only majors that have accepted this, and I fully expect Bond to delay unless there’s a clear improvement over the next few weeks.

I love cinemas, but I’m not risking my health and the health of those around me just for the sake of Cineworld’s bottom line.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I think the UK chains are in for a pretty big shock in terms of how many people are willing to go back to cinemas this side of 2021, the infection rate has actually risen over the last few days according to the Worldometer figures, and today’s death toll was 123, so we’re clearly not out of the woods yet. Releasing Tenet at the end of August in the UK will see it make a fraction of what it would make compared to a later date.

Paramount and Universal seem to be the only majors that have accepted this, and I fully expect Bond to delay unless there’s a clear improvement over the next few weeks.

I love cinemas, but I’m not risking my health and the health of those around me just for the sake of Cineworld’s bottom line.

Sony’s long since accepted it as well. It’s basically just WB and Disney that apparently haven’t given up on 2020 altogether. 

• Like 1

I’m mixed on what I think WB will do/should do. 

With my box office hat on, I think Tenet should wait until next year. 

With my realistic hat on, how can next year even be a guarantee at this point with the way 2020 has gone? Second waves etc. It’s just a hypothetical and I think people are putting way too much faith on 2021 being anything like normal. 

With my exhibitor hat on - the cinemas need some big movies right now whilst they are able to show them. Sizeable audiences (even if they’re not what they’d normally be) can only be a good thing. 

With my film fan hat on - I CANNOT WAIT to see this movie. The year has been awful for everybody and this would be so wonderful to get the option to see next month for millions of people.  If some don’t feel safe, then fine...don’t go.  For me personally, I will be there first IMAX showing in whatever getup/mask they need me to be in to get in that seat.  I respect anybody that doesn’t feel comfortable going. 

Cinemas need this movie, and a few more major ones this year. Simple as that. If the studios take a hit on them, so what? If they don’t get in there whilst they can, there may not be a theater landscape left in the long run.  

The only way we’ll know the answers to all the questions we have is if one of the big guns gambles and opens.  

I have strong doubts it will make Sep 4 if it didn't make August 12. WB is just asking for more bad press with that date instead of pushing it way out.
Will be curious to see with what they accompany the official announcement which I presume is tomorrow - remember that reports are that it could just open on that date whenever is open and other regions and cities join in when they're clear...however at least John Stankey isn't keen on that idea

1 hour ago, antovolk said:

Regal website updated with the September 4 date https://www.regmovies.com/movies/tenet/ho00010226#/

So that “unprecedented release strategy” involves opening it...one week later than international? Wow, WB, bravo on the bravery of doing something that Marvel have been doing for years.

This is just hilarious at this stage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

So that “unprecedented release strategy” involves opening it...one week later than international? Wow, WB, bravo on the bravery of doing something that Marvel have been doing for years.

This is just hilarious at this stage.

in all fairness I'm guessing opening it only in countries/cities/states that are all clear on those dates and then rolling it out as regions reopen might have been that but let's see

• Like 2

Looks like my cinema pushed back the Inception re-release another 4 weeks (new date: Aug 27, new date for Tenet: Sep 10) :(

But it's an independent arthouse cinema, so maybe they just plan the film a few weeks later than the mainstream cinema chains which got more screens. 

8 minutes ago, stracki said:

Looks like my cinema pushed back the Inception re-release another 4 weeks (new date: Aug 27, new date for Tenet: Sep 10) :(

But it's an independent arthouse cinema, so maybe they just plan the film a few weeks later than the mainstream cinema chains which got more screens. 

What country is this in? That seems about right for the US.