Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

Perhaps I'm projecting - no pun intended - but I'm really not seeing a big demand here in the UK for cinemas to reopen (other than from cinemas themselves) . It's just not something anyone I know talks about. Any movie releasing this year is taking a massive financial bath and its basically an act of charity.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Perhaps I'm projecting - no pun intended - but I'm really not seeing a big demand here in the UK for cinemas to reopen (other than from cinemas themselves) . It's just not something anyone I know talks about. Any movie releasing this year is taking a massive financial bath and its basically an act of charity.

and Robbie Collin lol

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Seems like the opposite could happen. Pandemic-induced flop, the first flop of his career perhaps. But at least he has a good excuse. 

It will definitely flop if released in August and September. Might be needed though, as seeing it flop would clear movies out of this year finally.

This is definitely the most stupid thing, the 2 week delays keep theaters in a state of uncertainty. Would have been so much better to just end it and move to next year. If not for Tenet this year, WB might have actually done the delays with their entire slate already.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It will definitely flop if released in August and September. Might be needed though, as seeing it flop would clear movies out of this year finally.

This is definitely the most stupid thing, the 2 week delays keep theaters in a state of uncertainty. Would have been so much better to just end it and move to next year. If not for Tenet this year, WB might have actually done the delays with their entire slate already.

is it going to flop everywhere or just in the US? it doesn't have a release date for latin america or china yet. 

4 minutes ago, Maggie said:

:jeb!:

This is a very real possibility if an outbreak gets tied to theaters. It's such a massive gamble, and yet no one seems to want to ask/answer the difficult questions regarding this.

I would also argue that if it bombs, it will also potentially kill the myth of theaters too. All the movies will move if Tenet doesn't reel in decent business and then it may prolong the amount of time studios are willing to open films.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

Just now, RealLyre said:

WB and Nolan need to set up a press conference asap to answer questions about their thinking behind the release strategy, how they will ensure audiences are safe and what work they have done with theaters to decide which places are ready to open and which are not.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Maggie said:

:jeb!:

Tenet bombs (which is practically a certainty comparative to its budget) and then there’s no new films released until 2021 at the earliest as nobody wants to take a gamble. Yeah, I’d say Tenet being responsible for killing a lot of theatres off is a very real possibility.

I know a lot of international markets have handled this a lot better than domestic, but this is a dangerous game WB and Nolan are playing.

And that’s before we even get to the reports of “I went to see Tenet and all I got was this stupid COVID-19” as people from states where’s it’s opened encounter people who have travelled from hot spots to see it.

I’d still bet on a further delay in some markets, particularly domestic.