Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

WB and Nolan need to set up a press conference asap to answer questions about their thinking behind the release strategy, how they will ensure audiences are safe and what work they have done with theaters to decide which places are ready to open and which are not.

this select cities strategy in the US might turn out to be problematic. it kinda sounds like it would indirectly encourage people in major cities (that haven't opened their theaters yet because of high COVID infections) to flock to uninfected areas that have the movie playing. 

Edited by RealLyre
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MrPink said:

This is a very real possibility if an outbreak gets tied to theaters. It's such a massive gamble, and yet no one seems to want to ask/answer the difficult questions regarding this.

*looks over at baseball right now*

*looks over at my own home state of Cali re-opening too early*

*looks over at even the 'success story' of New York*

Lot of that going around, it seems. :ph34r:

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

this select cities strategy in the US might turn out to be problematic. it kinda sounds like it would It indirectly encourage people in major cities (that haven't opened their theaters yet because of high COVID infections) to flock to uninfected areas that have the movie playing. 

It’s a fabulous idea. Let’s seed lower-population areas with less medical infrastructure with those potentially infected with a deadly disease. Fantastic choice, Warner Bros.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*looks over at baseball right now*

*looks over at my own home state of Cali re-opening too early*

*looks over at even the 'success story' of New York*

Lot of that going around, it seems. :ph34r:

• Like 2

I just love how WB/Nolan seems to think that opening one week after international will somehow make a difference. They may as well have just gone day and date September 3rd worldwide for all the difference a week will make.

I would hope that they must know that they aren’t really hitting that domestic date and they’re just saying September 3rd to placate domestic exhibitors so that they don’t feel abandoned. If it opens anywhere in the US on that date I’d be very surprised.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnokesLegs said:

I just love how WB/Nolan seems to think that opening one week after international will somehow make a difference. They may as well have just gone day and date September 3rd worldwide for all the difference a week will make.

I would hope that they must know that they aren’t really hitting that domestic date and they’re just saying September 3rd to placate domestic exhibitors so that they don’t feel abandoned. If it opens anywhere in the US on that date I’d be very surprised.

It’s not getting a wide release on September 3rd.

6 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

This is going to be such a fun run to follow. If the grosses are too low it will probably kickoff the final flight from 2020

You know, I just made this observation in the COVID-19/Sportsball thread, but there's another way this could be analogous to what's happening in baseball right now.

I made the point that a lot of the, hrm, un-optimal strategies from a health perspective that MLB did were done with an eye toward 2021.

What if there isn't a vaccine out in large quantities at the start of next year?

Even if there is a vaccine by the end-ish of this year that doesn't mean the distribution will be widespread right away.  Even with ramp-ups of promising candidates, there's still that ever waiting devil of logistics.

Getting enough vaccines out there to smash COVID-19 into the ground is already going to be problematic in the short term.  And that's not even bringing in anti-vaxxers into the equation.

Let's set aside the "select US cities" angle for a moment.  I could see this as a dry run for next year if there is a rollout on vaccines that is seeing hiccups or breakdowns in distribution.

9 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s not getting a wide release on September 3rd.

Yes, I know, I just can’t see them being willing to open it in a handful of states.

Plus, if they DO move ahead with that plan, there’s the thing that Tele talks about in terms of potentially spreading the infection as people go from state to state to watch the film.

WB clearly haven’t thought this through at all.

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You know, I just made this observation in the COVID-19/Sportsball thread, but there's another way this could be analogous to what's happening in baseball right now.

I made the point that a lot of the, hrm, un-optimal strategies from a health perspective that MLB did were done with an eye toward 2021.

What if there isn't a vaccine out in large quantities at the start of next year?

Even if there is a vaccine by the end-ish of this year that doesn't mean the distribution will be widespread right away.  Even with ramp-ups of promising candidates, there's still that ever waiting devil of logistics.

Getting enough vaccines out there to smash COVID-19 into the ground is already going to be problematic in the short term.  And that's not even bringing in anti-vaxxers into the equation.

Let's set aside the "select US cities" angle for a moment.  I could see this as a dry run for next year if there is a rollout on vaccines that is seeing hiccups or breakdowns in distribution.

I understand the idea of a dry run but I see it as way too early to do so. Had they waited until January 2021, I think more people would agree that theaters/studios had waited it out long enough to try new solutions (in addition to hopefully the situation being better in January for some of our problem countries)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

Yes, I know, I just can’t see them being willing to open it in a handful of states.

Plus, if they DO move ahead with that plan, there’s the thing that Tele talks about in terms of potentially spreading the infection as people go from state to state to watch the film.

WB clearly haven’t thought this through at all.

Are people really going to travel to different states just to watch a movie? 

They've been so adamant about pushing this whole "save movie theaters" angle that they might as well just go ahead at this point and if it bombs it bombs (and the rest of 2020's schedule such as it is will clear out). At least no one will blame the movie itself.

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Are people really going to travel to different states just to watch a movie? 

You’d be surprised. All it takes is one infected person to travel from one state into another to sit in a potentially busy theatre and there’s your next outbreak.

I know this isn’t a way of thinking that can last forever, but looking at how the US is currently handling it, the risk is currently extremely high. The US should really be waiting until they have it more under control before releasing this or any other film in theatres. 70k+ positive cases and 1000+ deaths per day and rising isn’t the time to release a blockbuster into cinemas.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

@MrPink will go to Maryland or Virginia to watch it for sure. New Yorkers might go to NJ or Connecticut. 

Tbh I won't go see if it's not available in the DMV area. I'm willing to wait until at least that point happens. 

At which point I'll go see it like the idiot that I am and then basically quarantine/get tested.