Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

My thoughts,

First, I think Tenet will bomb big time which I hate to say because I always root for Nolan films. I think it fails to make in its entire run what it would have made on its OW pre-Covid-19. 2nd, I live in California and have a drive-in 20 mins from me. I hope WB just releases everywhere. I know it says select cities, but California is not going to have theaters open for probably all of 2020 aside from the drive-ins. I would be more than happy to pay for a drive-in ticket, but if it seems like Tenet will not get released in California anytime soon after the Sept 3rd date, I am torrenting that shit, and I have never torrented a film before. I 100% want to support Nolan and theaters, even if it means supporting drive-ins, but I can't do that if WB decides to release it to select cities. WB should just do a nation-wide rollout and places and states that aren't open can at least play on drive-ins. It's better than nothing.

Edited by CloneWars
  • Like 1

Reviews coming next month

“Worse than catching COVID-19, and I can attest because I caught Covid-19 while watching this movie.” - New York Times

”B+” - Empire

”A triumph of the American Spirit” - Tucker Carlson

”Mediocre” - George Miller

”The perfect way to ensure Winds of Winter is never finished.” - George R Martin

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, grim22 said:

@MrPink will go to Maryland or Virginia to watch it for sure. New Yorkers might go to NJ or Connecticut. 

How many New Yorkers are gonna drive 2 hrs plus pay roundtrip tolls to go see a Nolan movie? Many of us don't even have cars so we also have to rent a car. I don't think many people will put that much effort into a movie. 

Just now, The Panda said:

Reviews coming next month

“Worse than catching COVID-19, and I can attest because I caught Covid-19 while watching this movie.” - New York Times

”B+” - Empire

”A triumph of the American Spirit” - Tucker Carlson

”Mediocre” - George Miller

All the reviews are going to be about Nolan's insistence of saving cinemas and not about the film itself.

56 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

You’d be surprised. All it takes is one infected person to travel from one state into another to sit in a potentially busy theatre and there’s your next outbreak.

It take more than that, from what I understand not all infected people are good spreader (and not for all the time they are infected either), specially if everyone is masked, maybe you need to have a lot of those case to have a good chance to provoke a mass spreading event.

It depend how theater AC affect this, air travel is maybe an exceptional example, but fully loaded passenger plane have been extremely common for a long time and I do not remember any story of a mass spreading event on them, they have special ventilation on the plane itself, but with all the inline waiting occuring around the flight, we could have expected for it to happen by now.

Church (specially if singing occur)/bar/convention, anything with unmasked people talking/eating near each other or in the direct ventilation path do seem to be an important variable.

All seated in the same direction masked, with some distance between people not living together in what tend to be quite ventilated affair that are theater in north america could do the work.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

My thoughts,

First, I think Tenet will bomb big time which I hate to say because I always root for Nolan films. I think it fails to make in its entire run what it would have opened to pre-Covid-19. 2nd, I live in California and have a drive-in 20 mins from me. I hope WB just releases everywhere. I know it says select cities, but California is not going to have theaters open for probably all of 2020 aside from the drive-ins. I would be more than happy to pay for a drive-in ticket, but if it seems like Tenet will not get released in California anytime soon after the Sept 3rd date, I am torrenting that shit, and I have never torrented a film before. I 100% want to support Nolan and theaters, even if it means supporting drive-ins, but I can't do that if WB decides to release it to select cities. WB should just do a nation-wide rollout and places and states that aren't open can at least play on drive-ins. It's better than nothing.

I mean of course it’s going to flop, but who cares. The studios know this. NO MOVIE WILL BE PROFITABLE UNTIL SPRING 2021. The whole point now is to get SOME money rather than $0

i swear if any idiot tries to talk about TENET not breaking even will have to be officially labeled with (moron) next to all their posts for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

I am torrenting that shit, and I have never torrented a film before. I 100% want to support Nolan and theaters, even if it means supporting drive-ins, but I can't do that if WB decides to release it to select cities.

Then just wait a couple more weeks and watch it in drive-ins when it releases where you live? It's not hard to avoid spoilers on the internet if that's what you're talking about and doesn't justify torrenting. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

2 hours ago, RealLyre said:

Ed8s0qNXkAAUJAs?format=jpg&name=medium

my country isn't mentioned but it's opening in a lot of middle eastern countries so we might just get it

Are cinemas open where you live yet? Cinemas are still closed where I live but I really hope they open by the end of August.

• Like 1

I'm assuming that Canada's box office grosses will still be rolled into the "Domestic" gross, as usual, even though we're being thought of as an international market in this context?

I agree that there is a possibility (perhaps likelihood) that Tenet flops - and would have done so domestically even if it had a wide release in the US. We still can't be sure the extent to which people will flock to theatres. We've seen in other capacities that even when restrictions are lifted, it doesn't mean things go back to normal. People still make choices based on what they feel is best for them and their safety.

Peace,

Mike

Overall, I think this is admirable from Warner Bros. They could have easily postponed it for a year...but they know it’s massively anticipated and will be a huge shot in the arm for cinemas all over the world who are desperate for a big event movie. 
Regardless of how it does, it will make a huge difference for exhibitors. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

All seated in the same direction masked, with some distance between people not living together in what tend to be quite ventilated affair that are theater in north america could do the work.

Your assumption is that Americans are both rational and act in the best-interest for their health, and neither are true. The other issue are the employees, who’re potential spreaders as well.

Will theaters sell concessions? If they don’t, it’s hard not to see them losing tons of money. If they do, the odds of infection go up. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Your assumption is that Americans are both rational and act in the best-interest for their health, and neither are true. The other issue are the employees, who’re potential spreaders as well.

Will theaters sell concessions? If they don’t, it’s hard not to see them losing tons of money. If they do, the odds of infection go up. 

I do assume that they would only go in state that make mask mandatory in a situation like a theater (If covid isn't fully under control) not having to rely much in Americans rationality, that could be a mistake.

Has for them losing a tons of money, it would depend a lot on the state and federal business helping program they would have access too.

33 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Overall, I think this is admirable from Warner Bros. They could have easily postponed it for a year...but they know it’s massively anticipated and will be a huge shot in the arm for cinemas all over the world who are desperate for a big event movie. 
Regardless of how it does, it will make a huge difference for exhibitors. 

I dunno, I think this movie is more of a “WOM” type of film than one with massive anticipation. The Wonder Woman sequel fits better into that anticipation/hype category. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Then just wait a couple more weeks and watch it in drive-ins when it releases where you live? It's not hard to avoid spoilers on the internet if that's what you're talking about and doesn't justify torrenting. 

I'll still see it in theaters regardless, but I will not wait to watch it and will opt to see it online first. I saw TDK 6 times in IMAX, Inception 3 times in IMAX, TDKR 3 times in IMAX, Dunkirk 2 in IMAX and Interstellar twice in IMAX. Don't worry. Nolan and WB are still getting my money. As a matter of fact, in addition to watching it in drive-ins at least once if not more, than that I will also watch Tenet at least one additional time if it at some point gets a proper IMAX release.

Edited by CloneWars