Eric Atreides

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

45 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

his movies don't work much for me when you take that away. and he doesn't compensate with a different style.

The compensation I got out of Dunkirk is it's by far his best directorial effort, it's not even close. When he can have tons and tons of flat characters in a dull room talking, he becomes all the more lazy with his directing and just shoots medium close-ups of each individual character saying their emotionless expository lines.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

I found Dunkirk’s stripped-down approach really effective. It’s so carefully constructed for maximum tension that slowing it down for more character development would have lessened its impact. I love Nolan’s work and usually have no real problems with his exposition-heavy approach in other films (he does it well), but it was refreshing to see him just cut right to the chase with simple characters and various forms of visual shorthand to fill in the gaps on who the characters are and how they communicate the film’s broad themes.

That said, Tenet absolutely seems like it’s in the same “lengthy exposition required” mold as Inception and Interstellar, so I’m not surprised that it’s so long.

• Like 4

On 7/29/2020 at 2:34 PM, CloneWars said:

I 100% want Tenet to succeed. However, with CA and NY closed, I know there is a limit to what this can actually do. I also think WBs release strategy will cause it get lost in the shuffle, as in people (not us) will forget about it when it eventually opens near them or just not care because with the way the world is going right now.

But, what do I know, maybe it will make $10M every weekend all the way through Christmas and become a big hit that way. A very leggy run is its best hope honestly.

Anyway, I think we can all agree this is the greatest BO gamble of all time. If Tenet were to somehow blow past expectations, it would go down in BO history.

I don’t think WB views it as a gamble. Nolan has created so much profit and positive buzz for WB over the last 15 years, I don’t think they care about losing money on a single project with him. I think they just want Nolan to be a career-long WB guy. 

57 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I don’t think WB views it as a gamble. Nolan has created so much profit and positive buzz for WB over the last 15 years, I don’t think they care about losing money on a single project with him. I think they just want Nolan to be a career-long WB guy. 

They know that at some point, they will be able to pair him with an existing IP which will translate into insane hype.

Tenet might not flop.

Chris Nolan’s Interstellar, reissued in China in IMAX and regular formats, earned $2.84 million in its first day of rerelease, including $660,000 from 461 IMAX auditoriums alone.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2020/08/02/china-box-office-chris-nolan-interstellar-starring-matthew-mcconaughey-anne-hathaway-jessica-chastain-opens-near-3-million/#124c2ebd2cec

NOLAN - HIS POWER!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Maggie said:

This will no doubt be massive in Asia and Europe as all Nolan properties are. Preparing everyone for BATTINSON next Christmas  October??

I can tell you one thing, for those in the movie industry, Tenet will be the most watched BO run ever. Chains will closely monitor how well Tenet does and make decisions from there and same for all the studios. Tenets BO run will make or break any sort of future movie going for the rest of this year.

21 hours ago, Maggie said:

I mean, it's a 200 million movie - it'll still be a huge money loser, but I still see it beating Terminator Dark Fate, lol...

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Just saw a UK TV spot advertising this for August 28th. Surreal.

In all honesty, it's literally the only thing keeping me from cancelling my Cineworld card. Like, a lot of the stuff playing now really is great, some proper classics that deserve to be seen on the big screen, but... I HAVE seen most of them on the big screen, and countless times at home. So, there is little appeal in me going to see them again. Like, I'd rather watch a new tv show than see the same movie for the 20th time. Especially when, for me, part of the appeal of going to the cinema is watching big blockbusters with a big audience. That's unlikely to happen again anytime soon, but at least a new big movie will be worth the trip...

On 7/29/2020 at 4:17 PM, Hatebox said:

Define 'doubter'. Do you think it's going to make as much money as it would have in normal times? What's the benchmark of this summer release being worth it?

No, I mean if it makes at least 600 mln worldwide in the current circumstances and won't be money loser.

The special 10th Anniversary theatrical event for "Inception" will also give audiences a never-before-seen look at footage from Nolan's highly anticipated film, "Tenet," which will debut worldwide on September 3. Moviegoers will also be treated to an exclusive sneak peek of select films on Warner Bros.' upcoming slate.

https://www.warnerbros.com/news/articles/2020/06/15/celebrate-10-years-nolans-inception

• Like 1